Board Game thread

Check out the following on boardgamegeek.com if you're interested.

Phantom Leader / Hornet Leader / Thunderbolt Apache Leader and U-Boat Leader are all games where you play through a series of missions with a squadron of pilots / submarines, completing the missions successfully or failing. Your pilots may get shot down and killed, or have increasing stress levels etc. Very good games.

Phantom Leader is Vietnam, Hornet is '83-now, Apache is '84-now, U-Boat is WWII.

There are other games with similar names so look for the ones from the company DVG.

Field Commander Napoleon, Field Commander Rommel and Field Commander Alexander provide you with a series of campaigns covering the careers of the three men. I have Napoleon (considered the best of the three) and it's excellent.

There are LOADS of war games that are solo or you can at least play solo because the game industry knows how hard it can be for wargamers to get opponents for some games. If you don't like wargames (or the idea of them) then...

Labyrinth (ok, this is war, I lied) plays solo or 2p. It's US vs Jihadists and is similar to the game Twilight Struggle.

Suburbia (as mentioned above) has a decent solo player mode.

Agents of Smersh also plays solo.

Robinson Crusoe plays solo excellently and is a brilliant game.

Agricola plays well solo.

Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game can be played solo, it's how I generally play it.

Pandemic can be played solo.

Onirim is a strange little card game loosely about escaping a dream world. That plays solo.

Friday is a game where you help out a shipwrecked Robinson Crusoe. It's a little card game but highly rated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a pretty big board game kick since moving to Mongolia (it's not that fun going out in -35.). I picked up Through The Ages and Arkham Horror when I headed home for Christmas. Arkham Horror, though it took me and fellow teachers some time to get a hang of the game, it was a really good game once it got going. But sadly, we constantly get hammered by the Ancient One.

Ticket To Ride is on my list as well as Luchador. Should be interesting to play Luchador as myself and a business partner are currently working through the last part of our wrestling based trading card game.

Thought I'd just post in here to remind people that International Tabletop Day is next month, and there's a sufficient number of events out there that there's bound to be one decently near pretty much everyone. Check out the map at the website. The one in Ipswich is being run by myself and my friends (because we don't have a game shop in Ipswich).

I also note with displeasure that Skummy has not reported back as promised.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, for my birthday today I was given Forbidden Island, Red Dragon Inn and Shadows Over Camelot. Today is a good day.

My "Tabletop Day" consisted of us putting my daughter to bed and then playing Mijnlieff, Battle Line and Call to Glory. All very similar to many other Saturdays.

Mijnlieff is a groovy little abstract game and the designer seems like a top, top bloke.

We had a pretty epic gaming session which consisted of: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Avalon, Tsuro of the Seas and then finishing with an epic near 3 hour Shadows Over Camelot.

At one point I think we had something like ten players so had to play in teams, but it was all good. :-)

• Like 1

On the easiest, because it was only the second time we played. Also? Love the researcher role....that one needs to be in every game.

*We kinda broke some rules by accident, so this victory gets an asterisk.

Pfft. Pandemic should only ever be played on the most difficult setting :-p

I generally play on the medium difficulty. Seem to win maybe half the time. Depends a bit on how quickly the first couple of outbreaks come up and if all the early spread cards are close to each other or not.

I think our group has won once on the hardest setting, but in all bar one game we got to within one full turn of victory.

In other news, I'm looking for a few games that can accomodate a large number of players (9+). I know of Avalon/Resistance..

are there any other good ones? Ta.

Well over 9 you also have the Werewolf variations (including One Night Werewolf) and Two Rooms and a Boom.

pic1809823.jpg

Nine is actually tough for variation of game style. I've got plenty that play eight such as Pitchcar (flicking disc cars around a track), 6 Nimmt (a card playing game), Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space (a thematic game about crew members escaping while unknown aliens try to kill them), Nanuk (a Liar's Dice style game about Eskimo hunters boasting about how many animal they can catch), World Cup Game (football).

Nine tends to head up into party game territory.

Well over 9 you also have the Werewolf variations (including One Night Werewolf) and Two Rooms and a Boom.

pic1809823.jpg

Nine is actually tough for variation of game style. I've got plenty that play eight such as Pitchcar (flicking disc cars around a track), 6 Nimmt (a card playing game), Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space (a thematic game about crew members escaping while unknown aliens try to kill them), Nanuk (a Liar's Dice style game about Eskimo hunters boasting about how many animal they can catch), World Cup Game (football).

Nine tends to head up into party game territory.

Maybe that's a challenge for you then Hamster! :-P