Board Game thread

My gaming group and I are about 11 games into it. I'm buying a new one when we're done.

Robo-Rally is interesting....I think it takes too long, personally.

I am not a huge fan of it either, but one of Robo Rally's virtues is that it can accommodate up to 8 players, most games I find usually stop at 4 or 6.

Twilight Imperium is a seriously great game, but it does need 4+ players and takes 4-6 hours to play. Worth the time though.

I've not played it but I like the idea that whoever wins a night's battle gets to rename a province to whatever they want to call it.

That's only one of the things you can do.

The same player ended up winning 3 straight games to open the sessions (I wasn't around to stop him or I would have), so he took 3 rewards:

He got to name a continent, which gives him +1 for holding it.

He got to change a continent's bonus, which he used to change that continent to +1.

He founded a city there, which gave him additional population when he held that country (useful for events)

Eventually, we were able to use scar cards to diminish the value of the continent, first by forcing it's northern border country into an ammo shortage (-1 to your top dice), and then by dumping toxic waste in one of the countries (-1 army from that space at the end of each turn).

I've played 7 Wonders around the table with 6 other players a couple of times and it IS pretty fun. Don't know whether there's loads of replayability or not but there are few games that take up to seven players and yet feel strategic enough.

I haven't bought it because I can't necessarily see myself being able to play it often but I know it's really highly rated so if you can find it on offer somewhere it's probably worth it.

It has been ages since I played a board game but I have fond memories of both the old Settler board game and this wonderful little fun thing called FRAG. Anybody else played FRAG or know anywhere where I can find it? Because it is a hilarious little nerdy game.

:(

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2025/frag

Game starts. Enemy in sight . . . Frag him! Grab his stuff! Run! Get a bigger gun! Grab some armor! There he is again! Frag him! Whoa, there's another one. Run . . . you're hit! You're down. Respawn! Grab a weapon! Start again!

Frag is a computer game without a computer. It's a "first-person shooter" on a tabletop. Move your fighter and frag your foes; draw cards for weapons, armor, and gadgets; move through the blood spatters to restore your own health! If you die, you respawn and come back shooting!

Rated 5.83/10

I've never played it.

I've played 7 Wonders around the table with 6 other players a couple of times and it IS pretty fun. Don't know whether there's loads of replayability or not but there are few games that take up to seven players and yet feel strategic enough.

I haven't bought it because I can't necessarily see myself being able to play it often but I know it's really highly rated so if you can find it on offer somewhere it's probably worth it.

Yeah, it's definitely best with the maximum number of players, but it's certainly playable with fewer (although it's a pain because you have to sort through all the cards and take a bunch of them out of the deck). I even tried the two player variant with a friend of mine, which is confusing as all hell but adds another layer of strategy to the game cause you have to build a neutral city between the two of you in addition to your own cities - I ended up winning largely by building a bunch of stone pits, making sure the neutral city had no stone, and then forcing it to build a ton of buildings that required lots of stone so it had to buy it all off me <_<

I think the main replayability of it comes from the sheer variety and complexity of the cards and the fact that there are so many different ways to win (military, science, culture, commerce, some combination thereof...) that you can adopt wildly different strategies from game to game. Anyway, I'm hoping to run versions of some of my other favourite board games in the Cube once 7 Wonders is done so hopefully there'll be more try before you buy for people :P

They should make that Manhattan Project about dildos instead of bombs.

Granted, I'd be terrified to buy a dildo called the "Nutcracker", but it's about the right shape. >_>

• Like 1

Yeah, most of our cities are named "(Otherplayer)sucksville" or "Anti-(Otherplayer) City". One of them got named after the local drug dealer because the guy who named it was fiending. -_-

• 2 months later...