Board Game thread

It's supposed to be flow chart logic for the opponent's actions. But since it's not official like Labyrinth's, the description of how it should work wasn't completely obvious or clear-cut (to me) in some circumstances, so I had to fill in the gaps in my comprehension with my best judgement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One game I like more and more every time I play it is Survive. It's easy to learn, so it's great to play with people that aren't into complex games. It's is incredible fun - watching someone stack a life boat with survivors, only to watch it get destroyed by a sea serpent just before getting to safety it priceless. I don't think there is a ton of strategy to it, but it's just chaotic, crazy, and a real blast to play. I highly recommend it.

Another one I like that I want to play again soon is Escape: The Curse Of The Temple. It's fast paced and frenetic, and its a fantastic game where everyone has to work together to succeed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got this for £8 off Amazon. It's under £7 now and supposed to actually be pretty good, despite the choice of wrestlers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WWE-Superstar-Showdown-Board-Game/dp/B00Z0P2W3S/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1457908103&sr=1-2&keywords=wwe

618ezGoTQNL.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/30/2015 at 06:46, Cloudy said:

Betrayal At House On The Hill is fun if you've got 4-5 people. Hedbanz and Quelf are pretty fun too, but they're social party games more than anything.

Have owned it for a year and am yet to play it :(

Need to find somewhere to sell it.

20 hours ago, RPS said:

I saw Quelf the other day at the board game cafe and was wondering what the heck it was. I didn't bother trying it. 

The more people you have, the more fun it is. It's as simple as "obey the card" - you pick a card from 5 categories, do what it says on it, and you move ahead. If you can't/won't do what the card says, you move back a space. It's all goofy stuff like "stand on one leg and sing the national anthem", etc.

• Admin

Been on a bit of gaming kick recently. Our little gaming club has inspired me. Have picked up Marvel Legendary, Gloom, Exploding Kittens & Chrononauts, whilst my friends have acquired Pandemic, Small World, Munchkin & the classics of Carcassone & Settlers.

Watching TableTop is bad for my wallet evidently :shifty:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

The more people you have, the more fun it is. It's as simple as "obey the card" - you pick a card from 5 categories, do what it says on it, and you move ahead. If you can't/won't do what the card says, you move back a space. It's all goofy stuff like "stand on one leg and sing the national anthem", etc.

Oh that game sounds like it isn't for me. Thanks for the heads up Cloudy. 

We played The Coup the other day. Was fun for three rounds, but I won every round so everyone wanted to stop playing. :( 

35 minutes ago, Bad News RW said:

Been on a bit of gaming kick recently. Our little gaming club has inspired me. Have picked up Marvel Legendary, Gloom, Exploding Kittens & Chrononauts, whilst my friends have acquired Pandemic, Small World, Munchkin & the classics of Carcassone & Settlers.

Gloom is great - but you need to play with people that enjoy improvising and being creative. If you play with people that just play the cards and don't create a bit of a story, it's a lot less fun.

1 hour ago, Bad News RW said:

Yeah, TableTop will make yo' ass go broke, no joke.

• Like 2

What stops me from buying so many board games is the people to play them with. My hubby is quasi into the board games, but he likes the coop ones more than the competitive ones. And my niece and nephew love certain board games (they are huge Catan fans), but it is hard to get them to try something different. I bought Survive, but they haven't wanted to even touch the game... they just wanna play Catan. 

1 hour ago, RPS said:

What stops me from buying so many board games is the people to play them with. My hubby is quasi into the board games, but he likes the coop ones more than the competitive ones. And my niece and nephew love certain board games (they are huge Catan fans), but it is hard to get them to try something different. I bought Survive, but they haven't wanted to even touch the game... they just wanna play Catan. 

They are missing out! It's so much fun!

I know! It took them a while to really master the strategy of Catan, so I think their worry is that Survive will take just as long to understand, so they just want to keep playing Survive. I just want to play a simpler game with them, because it becomes taxing to pretend to lose Catan every time I play with them. 

Also, if anyone is looking for a fun party game in a similar vein to Cards against Humanity, we played Funemployed and I thought it was vastly superior to Cards. One person is hiring for a position (like a teacher) and each player picks up four cards that provide attributes (like alcoholic, six pack, amazing hair, needy) and they "interview" for the position and must use all of their cards. 

3 hours ago, RPS said:

I know! It took them a while to really master the strategy of Catan, so I think their worry is that Survive will take just as long to understand, so they just want to keep playing Survive. I just want to play a simpler game with them, because it becomes taxing to pretend to lose Catan every time I play with them. 

Also, if anyone is looking for a fun party game in a similar vein to Cards against Humanity, we played Funemployed and I thought it was vastly superior to Cards. One person is hiring for a position (like a teacher) and each player picks up four cards that provide attributes (like alcoholic, six pack, amazing hair, needy) and they "interview" for the position and must use all of their cards. 

They played that on Beer And Board Games, and it looked pretty good. 

I enjoyed it a lot. I am a Cards Against Humanity hater and loved this one. We played Snake Oil too, but I liked Funemploymed way better. 

Spent the last hour and a half skim-reading through this thread LOL here are some games I haven't seen mentioned:

1. Sushi Go! 

I love the art and it's simple enough to learn

2. Splendor

I've only played it twice but it was pretty fun

3. Istanbul

A bit complicated and hard to set up but also fun. 

4. Codenames

I really enjoyed this one! There were six of us who played this but I think it's a party-game type wherein a lot of people can play?

For the record, this is the extent of my "collection:" Love Letter (Batman version), Exploding Kittens, Sushi Go, Qwirkle, and... that's it. LOL I liked that one For Sale mention, though. It's a quick, enjoyable game. 

Anyone played Straw: The Game That Broke The Camel's Back? How'd you like it?

I spent £70 on Food Chain Magnate and not played it yet because Mrs Hamster is in bed by 9 every night because of us foolishly having a second child. 

Gagging to play it....although to be fair gagging for other things that have a higher priority.

• 2 months later...

So I'm looking to sell Sentinels and its Rook City/Infernal Relics expansion, as I bought them right around the same time I got the PC version and have never really touched them.  Apparently the Rook City expansion has shot up in value, its going for $100 + on Amazon and Ebay.  I'm happy to let it go for less than that, anyone know of a good place online I can try to sell it?