Board Game thread

LCG is a living card game, the makers of the game (Fantasy Flight do the most popular ones) release regularly scheduled packs which cost £10-15 for a (usually) monthly chapter pack, and occasional £20-30 big boxes (quarterly).

Everyone get the same cards in every pack, so it's about being the best player and the best deck builder to be the best, money doesn't come in to it at all.

For example, A Game Of Thrones is currently in its fifth cycle, to play with a full card set you'd need three core sets, all the cycles chapter packs (6 packs per chapter, you get 60 cards, a playset of 20 new cards) and the house-centric big boxes (currently 5 - Stark, Lannister, Nights Watch, Tyrell and Martell).

It can make the buy in higher but to sustain your play it's a lot easier, it's considerably less 'competitive' than a TCG because cash money isn't on the line, but flights to world championships and card designs etc are.

TCG are Trading Card Games (also known as CCG, Collectible Card Games) boil down to blind booster packs, randomly getting what cards you want and need, it can become quite expensive because of that but very rewarding if you want to collect everything and you get to do that.

Most TCG's work on a 4 card max in your deck, so you could be chasing certain cards very hard, for example, some websites will sell you the entire card set from a new release for around £500 (maybe more now) and they tend to release about 4 sets a year.

TCG's are highly competitive, you can win serious prizes from them, in the tens of thousands of pounds.

If you want a TCG/CCG, I would recommend playing Pokémon, it's cost curve is quite fair and doesn't move as fast as Magic The Gathering; you also rarely see anything restricted/banned in it.

I would 100% recommend AGOT if you like the source material and want a cool community to be a part of.

Lord of the Rings is a great LCG with gameplay that feels right for what you're doing.

Android: Netrunner was brilliant too but they've just ended it. In ways that that means it's limited to what's out there already. Now THAT'S a fantastic game of hacker vs corporation that feels like hacking. Also has a fantastic cyberpunk feel and some lush art.

Like my fave:

Image result for android netrunner day job

Netrunner will bottom out to buy a whole set soon too, but they've already had a rotation and a reboot of the core, so depending your reasons for playing make sure you don't get stung by someone shafting you on a second hand set.

If you wanted to dump some money on an LCG to just pick up and play, find someone selling a whole set of Conquest, based on Warhammer 40,000, it stopped quite early in its run because Games Workshop wanted their IP back (the same reason, Netrunner died, unless they're making a D&D card game, I can't see Wizards making a CCG using the format, but ho hum)

Other LCG options are Legend of the Five Rings, it has quite a high entry level skill curve but it's... ok. I went 4-3 at The European Championship and only played 8 games before hand, so goes to show you the level of competitive play in the game. They do an interesting way of releasing cards where they do 6 packs in 6 weeks then nothing for a few months, unless it's your main game you will likely fall out of love with it fast.

Star Wars LCG has just died, it apparently wasn't very good by the end of it, and this comes from a former World Champion (not me).

Lord of the Rings apparently has some great mechanics (quite akin to Arkham Horror, their other smaller game) but getting hold of a lot of the cards is a nightmare.

Whats your motivation for an LCG?

WizKids Announces New Licensing Partnership with WWE®

WWE Superstars to be Featured in Upcoming Line

August 7, 2018 – Hillside, NJ – WizKids, the leader in high-quality pre-painted miniatures and established board games, today announced a new multi-year licensing partnership with WWE, with plans to bring the organization’s iconic Superstars to the tabletop with successful gaming platforms HeroClix and Dice Masters as well as branded board games.

HeroClix is the #1 selling collectible miniatures game in the world where players will now be able to form their dream team of WWE Superstars to engage their opponents in tabletop combat.

“We’re pleased to introduce this new genre to the WizKids portfolio,” said Justin Ziran, president of WizKids. “We’re especially thrilled to bring fan favorite Superstars from the WWE family to the beloved HeroClix and Dice Masters platforms.”

Dice Masters is an award-winning and critically acclaimed dice game. For the first-time ever, players will be able to build a team of their favorite WWE Superstars to roll combos and knock out the opposition.

The partnership will bring the likeness of popular WWE Superstars, including John Cena®, The Rock®, Charlotte Flair®, Roman Reigns® and The Undertaker®, in addition to WWE Hall of Famers such as “Stone Cold” Steve Austin® and Trish Stratus™ to several gaming platforms, including Dice Masters, HeroClix and Boxed Strategy Games.

Product will be available in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Australia and Europe. The first release is slated to hit shelves in 2019.

To learn more about HeroClix, including how to play, visit: www.HeroClix.com.

To learn more about Dice Masters, including how to play, visit: www.DiceMasters.com.

For more information on WizKids, visit: www.WizKids.com.

22 hours ago, Katsuya said:

Played Dominant Species at the weekend, and other than the fact I was terrible at it, I really enjoyed it. Haven't done a big game like that in aaaages.

One of only three games I rate a 10. Not played it for a few years though which is gutting as I think it's amazing.

I wish I had more people to play board games regularly with, I'm a bit lacking in local friends given my friendship circle is almost exclusively EWBers these days :P

That said, I got the joy of introducing some of my parents' friends to Cards Against Humanity over the weekend. Always an experience having someone play for the first time.

I'll never look at Waldo the same way again...

8 minutes ago, Jericruise said:

I wish I had more people to play board games regularly with, I'm a bit lacking in local friends given my friendship circle is almost exclusively EWBers these days :P

That said, I got the joy of introducing some of my parents' friends to Cards Against Humanity over the weekend. Always an experience having someone play for the first time.

I'll never look at Waldo the same way again...

It would be easier to get Waldo to play more if you could find him. 

22 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Played Gloomhaven last night with a friend. It was super fun and it was just the first game in a longer campaign. We ended up just barely winning by making one bad guy kill the other, then killing him. Super fun. 

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I've played as a few characters now. I think me and my party have completed 70% of the game? 

• Like 1

IF any of you get bored, sign up to yucata.de

It's a website where you play online games against people. There's 141 games from what I can count, so you'll find something you like. Then find HamsterOfFury (me) and we can play games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

I was debating getting Gloomhaven, but have barely touched Mansions so don't know how much play time it would get.

A local lad was also shifting Kingdom Death for a really good price but as above, wouldn't get the chance to play it as much as I'd like

Gloomhaven is the type of game I'm glad my friend bought because I don't think it'd be worth it for me to get.