Board Game thread

• 3 weeks later...

Heidi and Riley picked up a new Monopoly game a few days ago: The Signature Token Edition, which was released last year. (The last Monopoly we picked up was the original Electronic Banking version.)

Comes in a metal tin, the board is black with gold trim, the hotels and houses are gold and silver and made out of wood, there's a cloth bag included to store the houses and hotels in, the dice are metallic....and it has 64 tokens. I repeat: 64 TOKENS!

On 11/10/2018 at 01:23, GhostMachine said:

Heidi and Riley picked up a new Monopoly game a few days ago: The Signature Token Edition, which was released last year. (The last Monopoly we picked up was the original Electronic Banking version.)

Comes in a metal tin, the board is black with gold trim, the hotels and houses are gold and silver and made out of wood, there's a cloth bag included to store the houses and hotels in, the dice are metallic....and it has 64 tokens. I repeat: 64 TOKENS!

You know what you must do.

64-way game of Monopoly.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the Takenoku expansion today and played a few three-way games with it. It can really shift playing styles around. Game feels a lot looser. I was able to claw back ten points in the last move thanks to a well placed Ms Panda. Really enjoyed it. It really freshens up the game.

• 1 month later...

@ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster when we were in your board game cafe that time, the staff were recommending some autistic friendly games for sophies brother. The one that really stood out for me was Patchwork, because he finds the word buttons super funny, and a button themed board game seems pretty ideal. Any thoughts?

His favourite games so far are Blockus and Tsuro, and he doesn't like Lattice.

19 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Patchwork is a decent game, especially if the theme felt right. It's very visual and puzzle-like as you place the pieces of blanket onto your board and make them all fit together.

Does he prefer that kind of length/weight of game?

I would definitely go with shorter games, given the choice. He likes Blockus, which is obviously also about fitting puzzle pieces, so if there's a common thread (ha, thread) with patchwork, it sounds like a good choice.

I also thought of Sagrada which involves making stained glass windows it's  weight on BGG is 1.87/5 which says it's not too tough to get into, although the age is 14+ so I'd have thought that would suggest more complexity. Could be worth finding a let's play online to see what it's like. Playing time should be less than an hour.

On a similar note is Galaxy Trucker where you're fitting tiles on to a ship shaped board and need to connect pipes, pick up supplies and so on and then avoid meteor showers. This has a slightly higher weight rating on BGG (2.32/5) but again fits that puzzle piece fitting and I found it pretty easy to get into with kids so think that rating is a little high from personal experience.

As he likes Tsuro I would figure the follow up Tsuro of the Seas would be another good choice, it's Tsuro with the added risk of sea monsters getting in the way removing the paths in place and potentially eating your ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Unstable Unicorns is great, I need to work out where I can get the expansions for it.

What would people suggest for two-player games? I've got a few multiple people options but most of the time it's just my girlfriend and me playing them so need more stuff we can play together.