Board Game thread

Had Dominion, traded it away. Just couldn't get into it really.

Anyway, got a few new games through trades / Secret Santa for Christmas.

Traded for a 90s German game called Elfenland which sounds a bit silly but has a great core mechanism.

Then from BoardGameGeek Secret Santa I was very very fortunate to get a solo wargame called Field Commander: Napoleon (fight all of Napoleon's campaigns) and a card game called Android: Netrunner, based on an older CCG called Netrunner but re-released with Deus Ex-style graphics and with the collectible aspect taken away from it. One player plays a hacker trying to hack into the computer system of the other player who is a big evil corporation who is trying to complete nefarious tasks and keep the hacker out.

Also just received a copy of A Few Acres of Snow which I have no idea who or what it's from except that it's "super secret santa". It uses the deckbuilding of Dominion but as part of a wargame between Britain and France, fighting for control of Canada.

Also got a copy of WIngs of War cheaply which is a cool little World War 1 dogfighting game.

Traded for a 90s German game called Elfenland which sounds a bit silly but has a great core mechanism.

Then from BoardGameGeek Secret Santa I was very very fortunate to get a solo wargame called Field Commander: Napoleon (fight all of Napoleon's campaigns) and a card game called Android: Netrunner, based on an older CCG called Netrunner but re-released with Deus Ex-style graphics and with the collectible aspect taken away from it. One player plays a hacker trying to hack into the computer system of the other player who is a big evil corporation who is trying to complete nefarious tasks and keep the hacker out.

Also just received a copy of A Few Acres of Snow which I have no idea who or what it's from except that it's "super secret santa". It uses the deckbuilding of Dominion but as part of a wargame between Britain and France, fighting for control of Canada.

Also got a copy of WIngs of War cheaply which is a cool little World War 1 dogfighting game.

I quite like the look of Android: Netrunner and A Few Acres of Snow. The latter seems to have a great theme.

I'm looking at getting War of the Ring soon. I enjoy the theme quite a bit, and I quite often play two player stuff with my brother so it works out quite nicely. I really like the look of Pandemic as well so that's another probable buy.

Is board game trading a big thing? Half tempted to trade away Shadows Over Camelot and Munchkin Quest + expansion

On Boardgamegeek.com you can offer trades from your collection to other people. Not everyone responds to trades but I've made a few decent ones over the years.

They also run things called "math(s) trades" where people list the game or games they're willing to trade and then when the list is in, you choose what games of other people on the list you're willing to trade them for and then a computer program works out where you need to send your game and what you're going to be receiving. Those are pretty cool.

Got Game of Life Adventures Edition for Xmas, I like the idea of the turning boards, game lasted about 10 minutes though as we all spun 10s really quickly, may use the other rules they have in place for future games!

My girlfriend is ordering me Munchkin and a few expansions for Christmas. Keen to get my game on again. Tried to sell her on getting me Chez Geek and Cards Against Humanity as well, but no dice.

Woah.

Just playing Virtue's Last Reward on the Vita and a female character just mentioned the word "Agricola" for whatever reason and the main character (i.e me) just replied "I didn't know you were into German-style boardgame farming simulations".

So unexpected.

Woah.

Just playing Virtue's Last Reward on the Vita and a female character just mentioned the word "Agricola" for whatever reason and the main character (i.e me) just replied "I didn't know you were into German-style boardgame farming simulations".

So unexpected.

Bwaha, that is awesome.

I almost played Agricola once, but one too many players showed up and we ended up playing Tomb: Cryptmaster. It was cool in that you could create a party and stuff.

Also, when the board is back..someone needs to run a Risk Legacy game in the cube :shifty:

Mum wants a board game. She sort of likes hotels and masterpiece. Has grown tired of hotels as even more so than monopoly the winner can be determined early by who lands on which properties. Masterpiece's charm is in how casual it is.

Any suggestions? Can't have rules that take 6 read throughs to understand but would be good if there was some strategy. Most likely to be 2-4 players most of the time.

I was thinking Risk maybe as we never played it growing up but seems fairly basic when played on the computer but with some strategy.

Also my family are table flippers and my grandmother has previously snapped the lead off a pencil into two people's arms so best if the game doesn't rely on doing horrible things to each other.

Mum wants a board game. She sort of likes hotels and masterpiece. Has grown tired of hotels as even more so than monopoly the winner can be determined early by who lands on which properties. Masterpiece's charm is in how casual it is.

Any suggestions? Can't have rules that take 6 read throughs to understand but would be good if there was some strategy. Most likely to be 2-4 players most of the time.

I was thinking Risk maybe as we never played it growing up but seems fairly basic when played on the computer but with some strategy.

Also my family are table flippers and my grandmother has previously snapped the lead off a pencil into two people's arms so best if the game doesn't rely on doing horrible things to each other.

Risk might not be the game for you and your family.

Dominion is a fun, easy strategy card game. For Sale is a good, casual game. Not too much strategy, but still a good choice.

Yeah, it's is simple to pick up, but if your grandmother's the stabby type, I wouldn't go with Risk. You'll have lead poisoning before she's even off the map. Nothing really springs to mind, though. Bezzerwizzer, maybe? Trivia game, can steal questions or categories from other teams/players, reasonably cheap. Had just enough strategy to help my friends and I get out of the "nonstop trivia" funk we were in.

Wife is insanely hooked on Munchkin, rightfully so. We now have seven of the nine expansions for regular Munchkin, which leads to some crazy-ass games. Bought Betrayal at House on the Hill for a friend, gave it a spin yesterday. The rules are a bit involved, but certainly not overwhelming. Love the prospect of every game being different from the last (to a point, as there are fifty scenarios that can play out). The pointers they pack to help keep track of your stats are crap, though.

Played game #2 in Risk Legacy tonight. Girlfriend was not happy I wiped her out. I was not happy a person I had an alliance with turned on me, costing me the game. I was also not happy when a person, with zero strategy going into the game (or in the middle of the game) managed to win (even though he only owned 3 territories) via red stars.

For Munchkin fans:

Drunk Quest http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125493/drunk-quest is a fantasy game that is also a drinking game.

pic1493701_md.jpg

pic1530850_md.jpg

pic1493699_md.jpg

Apparently you can choose how big a "drink" is. Even if you just go for a mouthful, that means players will generally be drinking 3-4 pints per game.