EWB's Favorite Movie 2011: The Voting Thread

GoGo Yubari

Yup. I've finally seen ten films from 2011 so I'm getting this underway. You probably don't need to know how these work by now but just in case;

1. You will be fielding a list of your top ten films of the year. Voting, of course, goes like so; list the films from 1 to 10, the show you listed at 1 gets ten points, the show you listed at 2 gets nine points, and so on. That being said, if you didn't watch ten movies (or ten movies you actually liked enough to vote for) feel free to just leave the rest of your ballot blank once you run out. That is totally valid!

2. The films had to be released in their country of origin in 2011. So, I dunno, the best example I can give is if you're a UKer and you really liked The Secret World of Arrietty, that came out in 2010 in Japan so it doesn't qualify. Yeah.

3. You don't need to tell me you've edited your list up until I post saying that voting is closed, because that's when I'll start tallying everything. Then if you really, really want to make a change you should probably let me know.

Voting will be open for up to two weeks, likely less assuming voting dies out before that. This is the first year where I don't think there's an obvious frontrunner that I can think of (unlike, say, Inception last year where the biggest shock was that Scott Pilgrim came within a few points of beating it), so this should be interesting! My ballot is coming shortly.

1. The Artist

2. The Descendants

3. Attack the Block

4. Drive

5. The Muppets

6. Thor

7. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

8. Hugo

9. Super 8

10. Captain America: The First Avenger

I have barely seen ten movies. I am only voting for the ones I enjoyed.

1. The Muppets

2. The Artist

3. Super 8

4. The Help, because fuck you that's why

5. Cars 2

6. Horrible Bosses, I guess

7. Can I vote for like an hour or so of the Harry Potter movie before it all went to shit? No? Then maybe Puss In Boots because it wasn't too bad.

8. I wish I'd seen Hugo, because this spot would go to X-Men: First Class, which I didn't really like at all, but I did see it.

9. Seriously, this spot would have to go to Cowboys & Aliens. Don't give that any points, GoGo, or I swear to god.

10. And this spot would go to Hop. Yes, Hop. We saw Hop. It was dire and god-awful, and don't give it any points either.

So cut my list off at #7 because fuck giving votes to the rest of that shit.

3. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Released in 2010, doesn't count.

EDIT: Actually, no, okay, it just appears to have played at film festivals in 2010 and not had a theatrical release, so I'll allow it.

• Like 1

1. Warrior

2. 50/50

3. Drive

4. X-Men: First Class

5. Super 8

6. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

7. Red State

8. 30 Minutes or Less

9. Insidious

10. Scream 4

I'm really struggling to remember films I saw in 2011... So this is my list right now but I'll continue to check out other people's lists to see if there is anything I could have forgotten...

Edited by phatman

So I believe the only movie I've seen that came out past July or early August was Paranormal Activity 3.... So really only have half a year's worth but we'll see what I can come up with.

1. Bad Teacher - Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, Lucy Punch, Jason Segel

Yeah it got a bad rap... but I LOVED it! Maybe it's the whole being a teacher thing, but I thought it was hillarious and had the perfect cast. I've watched it many times.

2. X-Men: First Class - James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Rose Byrne, January Jones, Oliver Platt, Kevin Bacon

This was an awesome prequel to the series. Loved every minute of it. Rose Byrne sighting #1!

3. Insidious - Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Ty Simpkins, Barbara Hershey, Lin Shaye, Andrew Astor, Leigh Whannell

I was actually really scared by this film. Not sure why but it left me completly shaken and uneasy for about 4 hours afterwards. Good horror. Rose Byrne sighting # 2!

4. Bridesmaids - Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper

This was a very funny movie. I really had a good time seeing it (watched it a few days ago for the first time, 3 days ago for the second time). Rose Byrne sighting #3!

5. Paranormal Activity 3 - Chris Smith, Lauren Bittner, Chloe Csengery, Jessica Tyler Brown

This was another well done PA movie that left me wanting and craving more. Looking forward to Paranormal Activity 4.

6. Sucker Punch - Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens, Jamie Chung, Carla Gugino, Oscar Isaac, Jon Hamm, Scott Glenn

Another film that got a bad rap for no reason. It was amazing, both visually and entertainingly. The story was unique and made you think at the end. I enjoyed it very much.

7. Horrible Bosses - Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston, Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx

I went into this movie expecting to be bored, or at the very least mildly entertained. I left the movie happy to have seen it, and surprised that Jennifer Aniston was in something I enjoyed.

8. Unknown - Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger, January Jones, Aidan Quinn, Frank Langella

Fitting title. Haven't seen much about this film anywhere, and actually forgot about until I saw it on Wikipedia, but I really liked this film and it was easily one of the best I had seen this year.

9. Hanna - Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Tom Hollander, Olivia Williams, Jason Flemyng, Cate Blanchett

This movie was fast paced, and didn't even give you much time to fully absorb what was happening... And I loved it for that reason. Saoirse Ronan was phenomenal and showed she will be an acting force to be reckoned.

10. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Johnny Depp, Penelope Cruz, Geoffrey Rush, Ian McShane, Kevin McNally

Parts of me didn't want this film to happen as the original trilogy was amazing as it was; and not having the full cast back initially was a let down, but I was blown away with the new cast and thought the whole think worked well. Black Beared was amazing!

Honorable mentions

Limitless (almost made the list... but clearly not quite. Great movie though)

Hall Pass (another comedy I expected to loathe, but loved instead)

Friends With Benefits (it was good for what it was. Was never going to be a masterpiece but it was fun none-the-less)

Just Go With It (cannot believe that Jennifer Aniston is in two movies I enjoyed this year, and Adam Sandler is in one at all! Generally hate his stuff, but this one I liked)

Tree of Life (I've been waiting a while for this movie to come out as I had heard a lot about it; recently watched it on TV... It was aight, nothing spectacular but far from bad)

Edited by arwrestling

8. Apparently The King's Speech was released in 2011? So I guess I've seen eleven movies after all.

Are you thinking of the PG-13 re-release? IMDB says the US release was December 24th, 2010.

1. The Muppets

2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

3. Thor

4. Captain America

5. X-Men: First Class

6. Bridesmaids

And that's it. Just 6. (EDIT: COULD HAVE BEEN 8.) I actually saw 9 movies released in 2011, but I don't want to be responsible for either Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides or Kung Fu Panda 2 being anywhere on the final list. They were both decent, but not that good.

The 9th movie was The Hangover 2 and fuck right off with that.

1. The Adventures Of Tintin

- Seriously, how have more people not voted for this? Undoubtedly the best movie last year, the most fun, God, it was the best.

2. No Strings Attached

- I think I watched it like 3 times in the cinema with 3 different sets of people. In January. That's how much I enjoyed this movie, that I remember it until now. So what if it had Ashton Kutcher in it? Natalie Portman was too.

3. Thor

- Out of all the superhero films to come out, this was undoubtedly the best. Fuck, I can't wait for The Avengers.

4. In Time

- This was a great concept, done really, really well. Could it have been done better? Yes, but 2011 was a weak year for film.

5. We Bought A Zoo

- I really enjoyed We Bought A Zoo. Great family film. Plus, it had animals and Scarlett Johansson.

6. Super 8

- I liked the idea, the kids were great, and the ending was stunning. Plus, the credits were badass.

7. X-Men: First Class

- Second best superhero movie of 2011. Can't wait to see another X-Men movie like this.

8. Warrior

- Huge MMA fan, so absolutely loved this one. Hated some nonsensical moments, and the ending felt abrupt, but Nolte and Tom Hardy were fantastic, and the fight scenes looked brutal.

9. Just Go With It

- Huge Jennifer Anniston fan, but I liked this movie because it was just really, really fun. It's real reason for being here, though, is that 2011 was a craptastic year for film.

10. Rio

- Same reason as above. I did like it, but if it came out in 2010 instead it would be far from Top 20, even.

Yeah, a weak list in comparison to 2010, which had such tight room to manoeuvre as I didn't know where to place anything, with the exception of the top 2:

1. Toy Story 3 - Seriously, just the best shit ever. I felt like this was a beautiful movie about the end of one's childhood and the transition to adulthood.

2. Black Swan - Damn awesome show, just as good as The Wrestler. Mila Kunis deserves more credit.

3. The Town - Favorite action movie of last year.

4. Little Big Soldier - This show is awesome as fuck. Jackie Chan is back to being actually funny. Seriously recommend this for everybody.

5. I Love You Phillip Morris - What a wonderful way to show how great Jim Carrey can act, which I haven't seen in a while.

6. Shutter Island - Great movie, left me on the edge of my seat throughout the show.

7. The Fighter - Watched it again, and yeah, it was pretty awesome. Really loved the training scenes, and Bale and Amy Adams totally steal it. Kinda' sad it kicked The King's Speech off my list, though.

8. The Social Network - This movie would be the best if I didn't love the six above it.

9. Inception - This as well, just a great concept through and through.

10. Valentine’s Day - My favorite rom-com, just a fun show.

Still haven't watched True Grit, damn thing is coming out on the 24th. What the fuck, seriously. It's probably the only show that can still influence this list, though.

EDIT: Editted in The Fighter and Little Big Soldier.

Other honorable mentions go to: The King's Speech, Love & Other Drugs, Dinner For Schmucks, Gulliver's Travels, Bounty Hunter, Get Him To The Greek, Despicable Me, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and Dear John.

In comparison, this year's honorable mentions go to: New Year's Eve and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. Everything else just sucked.

1. The Artist

2. The Muppets

3. Submarine (was out in 2010, general release 2011 so I guess this counts?)

4. Horrible Bosses

5. Attack The Block

6. Rio

That might be it......I've really not seen a lot of films this year. Will update if I remember any.

3. Trollhunter (Can't recommend this enough, for the many of you who likely still have not seen it.)

Trollhunter doesn't count, does it? It appears to have been released in 2010.

EDIT: Also, nevermind. The King's Speech doesn't count because it was already on last year's list, finishing ninth.

1. Moneyball

2. Super 8

3. Thor

4. Captain America

5. Sherlock 2

6. Scream 4

7. Insidious

8. X-Men First Class

9. Horrible Bosses

10. J Edgar

I'll probably edit this after I check out more movies.

My 2010 list:

1. TRON Legacy

2. The Social Network

3. The King's Speech

4. Inception

5. Toy Story 3

6. True Grit

7. Shutter Island

8. Black Swan

9. 127 Hours

10. 13

3. Trollhunter (Can't recommend this enough, for the many of you who likely still have not seen it.)

Trollhunter doesn't count, does it? It appears to have been released in 2010.

EDIT: Also, nevermind. The King's Speech doesn't count because it was already on last year's list, finishing ninth.

Goddammit. I was going by US release when I put that in there and forgot when I saw your country of origin rule. And it probably was very low or didn't rank last year, I'll bet.

Point is, everybody watch Trollhunter.

Oh, and I need to pull The King's Speech too.

BANNER YEAR FOR ME AND MOVIES.

I had trouble even coming up with 10 movies I saw released in 2011:

1. The Muppets

2. Cedar Rapids

3. A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas

4. Conan O'Brien Can't Stop

5. The Artist

6. Super 8

7. X-Men: First Class

8. Thor

9. Red State

1. Thor

2. Captain America

3. X-Men: First Class

4. Drive

5. The Muppets

6. Paranormal Activity 3

7. Young Adult

8. Warrior

9. Crazy Stupid Love

10. Horrible Bosses

I saw more films than this, but those were pretty much all the ones I enjoyed. I actually liked all of them quite a bit though, even if Horrible Bosses made it more out of a lack of other options. (It was good! Just... not that good.)

1. Drive

2. 50/50

3. Hanna

4. X-Men: First Class

5. Attack the Block

6. Super 8

7. Fast Five

8. Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil

9. Warrior

Honorable Mentions:

Paul

Crazy, Stupid Love

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Thor

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Horrible Bosses

Moneyball

The Descendants

Margin Call

And I don't really get how anybody could legitimately say that 2011 was a bad year for movies because there were a lot of really good ones to come out.

• Like 1