AMC's "Breaking Bad"

Blitz

Holy shit, that scene in the bedroom (I figure that's vague enough not to need to spoiler tag).

"All I can do is bide my time. Wait."

"Wait? Wait for what?"

"For the cancer to come back."

Hooooooly shit. Skylar growing a backbone and standing up to Walt was awesome, and then Walt shooting down every single idea she had before she said that? Holy fuck, man.

I know everyone else hates Walt, but oh man, I love how evil he's become. Such a fantastic way to develop the character. I just want to see him get worse and worse each episode. I can't wait for the day he finally shoots someone and doesn't even bat an eyelid. I love Evil Walt, he's become such a fantastic villain. And there's just something about taking your protagonist and turning him into a villain that's amazing.

Next episode needs more Jesse though. I feel like there's been a lack of Jesse. The Walt/Skylar stuff can be amazing, but most of the time it just kind of bores me, I'd much rather the focus be on the cooking/business, Hank and DEA or some of the other characters like Mike, Saul and so on.

I loved the little bit about Hank catching the girl wearing not matching shows. Just a little thing that goes a long way to showing how great a detective he is. I can't wait for him to start catching onto Walt.

Guest mr. potato head

Yeah, I mean I hate Walt on a personal level, but love him on an entertainment level. Really looking forward to seeing what they pull off in the last few episodes.

aP802.jpg

Great episode. I like the Walt and Skyler stuff this season so an episode that was mostly more of their stuff with a bit of the meth game on the side was fine with me. That scene in the pool is one of the most beautifully shot scenes the show's ever done.

• Like 4

Something that slipped my mind from s05e01:

vlcsnap-2012-08-06-21h35m18s219.png

We still have a year to go. Ho boy.

Anyway, new episode thoughts:

Mike's "Hokay... She's dead." line slayed me. Mike is an uncompromising badass and Lydia is completely, round-the-houses, old school pants-on-head, batshit mental. Lydia's dead in the next four episodes and it's going to be by Walt's hand but not before she gives in and blabs to Hank. Lydia knows Mike, she knows Jesse by face and hasn't got the foggiest notion who or what a Walt is. Lydia tells the DEA, Hank gets Mike, Jesse gets caught in the crossfire, Walt kills Lydia and we've set the stage for Walt versus Hank.

That scene (and I'm not even going to say which one I mean because me saying 'that scene' should tell you all exactly which one I mean) made me ridiculously uncomfortable to the point that I actually had to pause and take a breather midway through. Skylar's desperate attempts at one-upmanship was just so sad to watch and Walt's total dominance was terrifying. I genuinely thought that Walt was going to go for Skylar during that. And then Walt using Jesse's heartfelt gift to destroy Skylar in act three was disgusting. I've stopped hating Walt, now I just hate Vince Gilligan and Bryan Cranston for creating him.

Final thoughts is holy shit, Walt's reflection on the previous year's events with Skylar standing at the pool in the background. If that one moment doesn't win every award for direction and cinematography then there's something horribly wrong with the world. I mean, I caught the gist of what Walt was saying but didn't hear a single word because I was just transfixed on Skylar even though she wasn't doing anything at all. Stunning.

This week's award goes to Skylar which puts her 2-2 with Mike as far as season five's been concerned. But really everyone's a winner. I feel like I know these characters more than my own family to the point that it's actually making for some pretty tough viewing. So intense. So deliciously intense.

Walt is giving me the creeps too. Whenever he throws his power around, particularly in the aforementioned scene, just gives me the creeps. I'm loving the slow build to the inevitable confrontation between Hank and Walt. The show's ability to turn the protagonist into the antagonist so organically is just phenomenal, I can't wait until Walter gets what's coming. Jesse giving him the watch too melted my heart. There's so much good in Jesse and I fear that it's going to be a tragic end for him as he gets dragged down with Walt. Seeing Skylar so helpless in stopping Walt and then her bringing up the cancer wildcard that is still lurking there too was brilliant.

Fucking hell, I love this show.

Something that slipped my mind from s05e01:

vlcsnap-2012-08-06-21h35m18s219.png

We still have a year to go. Ho boy.

Dammit, I was just about to point that out. And the reveal that it was Skyler who used to do the bacon thing for him makes me wonder exactly where Skyler is by the time of the flash forward...

Also, man, every time Mike brings up the Lydia thing I'm like 'hey Mike, remember what we discussed about half measures and full measures? THIS IS A FULL MEASURE SITUATION MIKE, IGNORE THE PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO USE HALF MEASURES'. But then Walt's kind of a full measure situation too by this point.

Mike isn't listening to the cook clowns.

It's not a voting thing just because Jesse votes for a voting thing.

That girl is deader than dead.

And Walt probably knows it. He's just backing Jesse's play to reestablish the dad dynamic.

He hasn't forgotten Jesse's batch of blue. He knows who's necessary and who's not.

And Walt probably knows it. He's just backing Jesse's play to reestablish the dad dynamic.

He hasn't forgotten Jesse's batch of blue. He knows who's necessary and who's not.

I assumed that Walt was backing Jesse just because he's unwilling to let anything get in the way of his business (where else are they going to get methylamine from?), and because in his egomania he doesn't genuinely believe some chick he's never even met could genuinely be a threat to him.

Except he has been and he'll continue to do so until it's too late. Mike might not care what Walt and Jesse want but he sure as hell cares what his guys apprehended by the DEA want. He wants Lydia dead because yeah, bitches be bitches but when she's dead there's no meth. No meth is no money. No money means 'some guy' is going to crack and tell Hank everything Hank wants to know.

Mike's not killing Lydia yet. Truth's coming out first. Then Lydia's dying and she's bringing the whole operation down with her.

Bitches. Be. Bitches.

Because of the show's attention to detail, I've been dwelling on a few things that I'll just throw out there.

This might have been brought up after the first episode, but I say that Walt kills Lydia by replacing her sugar with ricin. In her first appearance, the writers made it a point to say that she carries her own sweetener with her. While yeah, it was also there to show some character traits, it was also in the same episode that showed Walt still had the ricin.

Also, this is far less developed, but does anyone think that the watch Jessie gave Walt will come into play? I didn't think it was anything more than a honest gift from Jessie to play up the father-son dynamic until the end of the episode that showed it ticking. (That could also be a reference to Skylar's waiting and the passage of time blah blah, but I wonder if there's more to it.)

I think at least one person has to be killed by ricin before the show ends. They've cock teased it too much for it not to happen. Tuco, the drug dealers, Gus, Brock, somebody has to get killed with it! Especially since Walt took special care to hide and keep it.

I think at least one person has to be killed by ricin before the show ends. They've cock teased it too much for it not to happen. Tuco, the drug dealers, Gus, Brock, somebody has to get killed with it! Especially since Walt took special care to hide and keep it.

rsz_skylersmoking.jpg

Edited by Lord Nibbler
  • Like 8