AMC's "Breaking Bad"

Blitz

Just finished season four and yeah, this has been amazing. It's definitely up there with The Wire as far as TV is concerned.

Walt's got to die, that's the only conclussion I can come up with. With the season being split into two I can't help but feel they might end up going the way of Six Feet Under and kill Walt off before the end of the show to add to the whole idea that anything can happen at any time and Walt has no idea what's going to happen in an hour, let alone a year. I can see Walt versus Hank in round one with Hank coming out on top and then Hank versus Jesse in round two with outside implications from Mike, Skylar and Saul. Either way there's going to be a lot of bloodshed and there's only a few characters I can see making it out alive. For moralistic purposes I think Walt, Jesse and Skylar need to die for their crimes. I can see Saul making it out alive because he's a shady motherfucker, Mike should make it out because, christ, that dude cannot be killed and I think Hank needs to come out on top because hey, he's the only character who can be seen as being squeeky clean and completely on the level. Either way, I'm ruddy excited.

Just finished season four and yeah, this has been amazing. It's definitely up there with The Wire as far as TV is concerned.

Walt's got to die, that's the only conclussion I can come up with. With the season being split into two I can't help but feel they might end up going the way of Six Feet Under and kill Walt off before the end of the show to add to the whole idea that anything can happen at any time and Walt has no idea what's going to happen in an hour, let alone a year. I can see Walt versus Hank in round one with Hank coming out on top and then Hank versus Jesse in round two with outside implications from Mike, Skylar and Saul. Either way there's going to be a lot of bloodshed and there's only a few characters I can see making it out alive. For moralistic purposes I think Walt, Jesse and Skylar need to die for their crimes. I can see Saul making it out alive because he's a shady motherfucker, Mike should make it out because, christ, that dude cannot be killed and I think Hank needs to come out on top because hey, he's the only character who can be seen as being squeeky clean and completely on the level. Either way, I'm ruddy excited.

Cannot see Skylar dying whatsoever, but I'm definitely expecting Walt, Jessie and Hank to die or be skirting around the edges of death - Hank surviving the attack from the twins makes me feel like he might survive any season five shenanigans. But yeah, Sky dying would leave Flynn and the baby without any parents, which might fit with Gilligan's style of pessimism and despair, but I think she'll make it out as Walt drives them away.

Problem I have with Skylar surviving is that she's accountable now and although she's proven that she's y'know, insanely clever at getting out of situations I can't see any way the show can wrap up without her 'stories' crumbling around her. Saul and Mike can get off scott free because, like I said, Saul is a sneeky bastard and looks like he has every intention of running as far away as possible and Mike can and will cheat death and continue to be the most badass badass in the history of badassary. If Skylar gets away then her being brought into the eye of the hurricane has been for nothing. The kids get off scott free and will live happy(ish) with the Schroder's but Skylar needs some comeuppance, we've already seen that Hank has a somewhat Father-figure relationship with Jnr and Marie can take on Holly without Holly knowing any different. Skylar has created an entire web of lies from the gambling story to the carwash to the tax issues with Ted and her covering for Walt has put the White family in just as much shit as Walt himself has. If she leaves unharmed then to me that's unfair.

How I would like to see it go down:

I don't think Walt needs to die. Everything has been building to him basically becoming the biggest drug baron of all time, and the entire story is him doing everything for his family, and at any cost. He went from a mild-mannered science teacher, to this merciless cold hearted drug cook. I actually want it to end with him at the top of the drug empire, with his family changed completely. I actually think him dying would be anti-climatic to where the story is heading.

How I would like to see it go down:

I don't think Walt needs to die. Everything has been building to him basically becoming the biggest drug baron of all time, and the entire story is him doing everything for his family, and at any cost. He went from a mild-mannered science teacher, to this merciless cold hearted drug cook. I actually want it to end with him at the top of the drug empire, with his family changed completely. I actually think him dying would be anti-climatic to where the story is heading.

To be fair, he seems to be quickly becoming someone who will do anything it takes for himself, whilst using the excuse that everything he does is for his family. But we've seen him, numerous times, do things because the cancer allowed him to break free from the normal, shitty life he had before. He enjoys this world, even if he's been fucked over and drastically changed by it. I think the point of the show is to highlight how, like Ollie says, people have to be accountable for what they've done. This is why Walt and Jessie have to die, to show that things always catch up with you in the end. The only other option is that Walt loses all his family and sinks even further into the black hole he's created, but we're already sort of down that road and I don't think he can really go much lower after his hysterical breakdown when Skylar gives Ted the money.

Yeah, Walt not dying would completely undermine everything. His cancer, his lack of morals, his arrogance and everything else adds up to one conclussion and one conclussion only; Walter White has to die. At this stage in the game there is literally nothing about Walter White that is likeable in any way. He's 'broke bad' and he needs to pay for it. If Walt survives then the show has been for nothing because none of the 'innocent' parties (and I use that word gently) that Walt has seen fall to keep him on top will get their retribution. Jane, Gale and Combo's deaths, Donald's anguish, the passengers of the airline crash, Skylar being forced into a life of crime, Hank's shooting at the hands of the cartel, Brock's poisoning, even pretty much everything that has happened to Jesse has been because Walt has orchestrated it in order to keep his own head above water. Walt has to die. Any other outcome would be complete bullshit.

I'm excited for season 5. With it being split into two parts, I'm definitely thinking part 1 is ending with something HUGE and part 2 will slowly build towards the finale. Season 5, I think, is the most vital season to dictate whether Walt lives or dies. Not because it is the last, but just because Walt has two roads ahead of him - one of salvation and one of greed. He can either tie up the loose ends, get out now and save his family or continue down the horrible path he has started. My wild prediction is that he goes down the path of greed and it ends up costing him his family, potentially even some by his own hand. There has been a lot of tension played between Walt's loyalty towards his family and the hostility with Skylar. I could see a situation where Walt is put against a wall and has to chose between her and the drug trade and he chooses the drugs.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Guest mr. potato head

My idea for how the show should end:

Walt dies - I'm not going to guess how - and the final scene is his funeral, with absolutely nobody showing up because everybody who once liked him is either dead or alienated.

Edited by mr. potato head

I'm excited for season 5. With it being split into two parts, I'm definitely thinking part 1 is ending with something HUGE and part 2 will slowly build towards the finale. Season 5, I think, is the most vital season to dictate whether Walt lives or dies. Not because it is the last, but just because Walt has two roads ahead of him - one of salvation and one of greed. He can either tie up the loose ends, get out now and save his family or continue down the horrible path he has started. My wild prediction is that he goes down the path of greed and it ends up costing him his family, potentially even some by his own hand. There has been a lot of tension played between Walt's loyalty towards his family and the hostility with Skylar. I could see a situation where Walt is put against a wall and has to chose between her and the drug trade and he chooses the drugs.

I think the finale of season 4 with Walt poisoning Brock solidifies which path Walt has chosen. Before hand yeah sure, I could see redemption but now I figure Walt has gone too far. There's no turning back as far as I'm concerned, he's the baddie now, there's no way he can redeem himself.

I think the finale of season 4 with Walt poisoning Brock solidifies which path Walt has chosen. Before hand yeah sure, I could see redemption but now I figure Walt has gone too far. There's no turning back as far as I'm concerned, he's the baddie now, there's no way he can redeem himself.

Agree, but I think one could justify what Walt has done as it being survival for him and his family. Him poisoning Brock, while horrible, was still a way to protect him from Gus and company. Now, Gus is gone. Does he continue down his path of being the drug king or does he try and get out? If he continues towards being the drug king (as is hinted), than he really is the villain - he had his clean break to keep him and his family safe and he chose greed over it. And his actions of survival before were less about his family and more about keeping him on top. Once again, I agree with your point, but I think there is a case to still be made that what Walt did was for the greater good of his family.

I can see a number of things happening. Truthfully there's three ways I can see this ending at this point.

Walter giving up everyone and everything, including Sky, to get witness protection once he finds he's not long for this world. Which is an unlikely scenario, but it plays into my mind with The Shield Season 7's penultimate show(s).

Or Jessie kills Walter or has some part in his murder... or Walter sacrifices Jessie to save his own skin like he's done time and time again. These two seem the most plausible and the giving away of Jessie's life only for Walter to die anyway to cancer would be a cruel and interesting twist. This story needs to turn from finding a better villain to face off with Walter to finding someone people will love in the face of Walt. I.E. Hank or Jessie most likely, preferably Jessie. With Jane, Gale, Combo, Donald/Jane's Dad, now Brock and to a lesser extent Andrea even for Tomas's death in Season 3 - Walt needs to face off with Jessie finally and that's something that's been building since season two. And should come to fruition finally here.

Guest mr. potato head

I've always thought that the villain, against Walt, for the final season was going to be Mike. Didn't they leave him in Mexico when he got hurt and we haven't seen him since?

Yes, he hasn't been seen since being left in Mexico, but I'm not sure I buy him as the new villain. I don't see him going after Walter unless somebody else is paying him to, because I don't see Mike as the type to suddenly take an active role like that.