AMC's "Breaking Bad"

Blitz

I've always thought that the villain, against Walt, for the final season was going to be Mike. Didn't they leave him in Mexico when he got hurt and we haven't seen him since?

Yes, he hasn't been seen since being left in Mexico, but I'm not sure I buy him as the new villain. I don't see him going after Walter unless somebody else is paying him to, because I don't see Mike as the type to suddenly take an active role like that.

I'm assuming with it being the final season, they have to go full throttle on Jesse (hero) vs. Walt (villain).

I've always thought that the villain, against Walt, for the final season was going to be Mike. Didn't they leave him in Mexico when he got hurt and we haven't seen him since?

I don't buy Mike as the villain so much as I buy him as more trouble for Walt. Mike has reason to go after Walt because Walt's made Mike's life hell. He's been cleaning up after him for a very long time, him and Jessie. And Gus was his major source of income I imagine. I also expect, much like with Tuco, there to be major backlash for Walt's planning of Gus's murder. His Chilean contacts being hyped up as they were... they could definitely be considered a "big baddie" with Walter growing into the role by the end of the first half of the season slowly.

I don't buy Mike as the villain so much as I buy him as more trouble for Walt. Mike has reason to go after Walt because Walt's made Mike's life hell. He's been cleaning up after him for a very long time, him and Jessie. And Gus was his major source of income I imagine. I also expect, much like with Tuco, there to be major backlash for Walt's planning of Gus's murder. His Chilean contacts being hyped up as they were... they could definitely be considered a "big baddie" with Walter growing into the role by the end of the first half of the season slowly.

I absolutely agree that Jesse vs. Walt will be the show's final conflict. Pretty much what Haloheadfire said was what I expect to happen, with Mike being a problem that Walt will have to deal with for an episode or two or even the entire first half of the last season. I should have worded it better, in saying that. Mike vs Walt is what I see being a problem in the final season, but Jesse vs Walt will be the final and main conflict in season 5.

I absolutely agree that Jesse vs. Walt will be the show's final conflict. Pretty much what Haloheadfire said was what I expect to happen, with Mike being a problem that Walt will have to deal with for an episode or two or even the entire first half of the last season. I should have worded it better, in saying that. Mike vs Walt is what I see being a problem in the final season, but Jesse vs Walt will be the final and main conflict in season 5.

I can see the Jessie vs. Walt building up the first half of the season and coming into the spotlight for the second half as Mike, or others perhaps, reveal the total depth of what Walter would do to get away with his actions now. And I also see Hank vs. Walt happening and growing through the first half of the season in the face of Gus' death, and being a subplot to the main one with Hank slowly figuring out that Walt has been the guy behind everything with no real proof behind it. Something, some clue will piece it together for Hank that it's Walt. Much like with how it was put together that Gus was the culprit by Hank without any actual, legitimate proof.

Truthfully it doesn't really matter though - I trust that this show, considering they've grown consistently better with each and every season, will continue to make this story better then anyone expects. And give us a better finale then anyone can envision.

I'm thinking that the reason for the break in season five is so that Walt can get cancer again- it's the sort of thing that needs to be followed by a break to really sink in, and I so I was kind of surprised season four didn't go that route. The announcement of the break makes perfect sense to me, and gives them the perfect opportunity to do it.

I don't think the break was instituted for any specific purpose so much as it was the network's way of prolonging the finale of Breaking Bad, one of AMC's most acclaimed show's in their short history, and it's the same way they're handling the upcoming season of The Walking Dead which is also 16 episodes. I think Walt falling to his cancer would be a very cruel and fun way to finish off the Walter White character because Walter's been all about controlling outcomes and taking control of his life finally. And for him, now at the pinnacle of control and power, to fall to something he has no control of and the thing that was the reason for his life shift... would be a very fitting conclusion. Depending on all the circumstances surrounding everything else and the subplots conclusions too obviously.

Quite honestly, I think AMC is shitting themselves right now. With Breaking Bad coming to an end, Mad Men coming to an end soon (right?), they have nothing really left besides Walking Dead. Sure, Hell on Wheels is there, as is The Killing, but the three previously stated shows were their main shows that brought in tons of people. It's possible Hell on Wheels will end up being a bigger deal than it is right now, or AMC manages to find another breakout hit to carry their network when Breaking Bad and presumably Mad Men ends next year.

Mad Men's apparently slated for a 6th & 7th season, with 7 being the last. The writers won't be beginning on season 6 until sometime this summer, so they've still got two, three years left of Mad Men.

I saw an interview with Matthew Weiner where he said he can't even imagine the end of Mad Men yet. The show has been essentially about the 60s culture and that era did expand into the early 70s with Watergate, the anti-war movement and the fall of Vietnam. I can't imagine the timeline would go much past 1974, but there's still so many good ideas in there as they just ended off in early 1967.

Edited by TheSqauredCircleMessiah

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished season 4. Incredible. Just incredible. I've been hooked since the start and have watched it all so quickly. I can't get over how good the writing is and how good the acting is. Although, Walt began to annoy me in the 4th season, which he's never done before. Mike's quickly become my favourite character.

Just finished season four and yeah, this has been amazing. It's definitely up there with The Wire as far as TV is concerned.

Walt's got to die, that's the only conclussion I can come up with. With the season being split into two I can't help but feel they might end up going the way of Six Feet Under and kill Walt off before the end of the show to add to the whole idea that anything can happen at any time and Walt has no idea what's going to happen in an hour, let alone a year. I can see Walt versus Hank in round one with Hank coming out on top and then Hank versus Jesse in round two with outside implications from Mike, Skylar and Saul. Either way there's going to be a lot of bloodshed and there's only a few characters I can see making it out alive. For moralistic purposes I think Walt, Jesse and Skylar need to die for their crimes. I can see Saul making it out alive because he's a shady motherfucker, Mike should make it out because, christ, that dude cannot be killed and I think Hank needs to come out on top because hey, he's the only character who can be seen as being squeeky clean and completely on the level. Either way, I'm ruddy excited.

Wo, vague Six Feet Under spoilers :(

Quite honestly, I think AMC is shitting themselves right now. With Breaking Bad coming to an end, Mad Men coming to an end soon (right?), they have nothing really left besides Walking Dead. Sure, Hell on Wheels is there, as is The Killing, but the three previously stated shows were their main shows that brought in tons of people. It's possible Hell on Wheels will end up being a bigger deal than it is right now, or AMC manages to find another breakout hit to carry their network when Breaking Bad and presumably Mad Men ends next year.

I think AMC will be fine. The Walking Dead is just getting started, and the truth is, neither Breaking Bad nor Mad Men are in it's league in terms of ratings. BB and MM have given AMC legitimacy as a place for first-run television, to the point where it's nearly on par with HBO or Showtime. Even when they end, the network's reputation will still be super-strong, and new critical hits are sure to follow.

Guest mr. potato head

Or maybe not. AMC got Mad Men and Breaking Bad because no other network wanted them, but now that other networks have seen what makes them critical hits, they'll offer more money for future shows of that level. It's like what happened to Oakland after Moneyball became well-known.

Can't showrunner's choose which network they go with? Or is it all done on a bidding war? Because surely people would see the way most critical shows get treated at AMC, compared to say Fox, and decide their show has a better chance of survival there.

• 3 weeks later...

So we're just hours away from Season 5 and there's been one thing niggling away in my head for the past few days and holy shit, if I'm right I'm so friggin' excited it's unreal.

Breaking Bad has always had a habit of tying up loose ends, as of yet nothing has been left unanswered and the last two seasons have done a fantastic job of going back to the stories origins and using the early goings on to move the plot forward. We've seen the makings of the RV, the retribution of Combo's killings and the reveal that Walt was present at Jane's overdose but there's been one thing that hasn't been explored further yet: the video camera. In the very first episode as Walt and Jesse are cooking up their first batch of meth in the parked RV, Jesse films Walt with his own personal video camera. Walt, seeing this grabs the camera out of Jesse's hands and later uses it to record his 'confession' to the police in the belief that he'll soon be caught. That video camera has never been seen nor heard of again but I can't help but feel it's going to be universal in Walt's downfall. If Hank gets his hands on that camera than shit is going to go down and knowing Breaking Bad like I do I can't help but feel it's going to happen.

And holy shit if it does. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. I am schoolgirl levels of excited right now.

• Like 2

I will say that, honestly, I can see them not doing much in the way of the camera. It's been a full year in time throughout the story and I can't imagine a way they could incorporate the camera. The more and more I think about it though, the more I can see Sky being Walt's downfall and Hank/Marie taking Walt Jr/Holly. I could see Sky vs. Walt being a storyline with Sky trying to protect the family from Walt's decisions. As she said at one point, "someone has to protect this family from the man that protects this family." and I can see Ted's "experience" with Huell and that other guy really unhinging her. I haven't watched any previews though besides the short meeting Walt had with Saul. I really see this as Walt vs. The World with Walt vs. DEA, Walt vs. Mike, Walt vs. Jessie, Walt vs. Sky, and Walt vs. Hank specifically. Lots of stuff to happen and I'm super excited.

but why not? Some of the most seemingly insignificant moments have come back later to play a role in the show; I doubt anyone thought Walt's resignation from the car wash would never be seen again but it played a major role in season 4. Jesse telling us it was impossible to find an RV in 24 hours in season 1 was explained in season 3. Hell, even the fact that Walt threw an uncut pizza on the roof of his home came back for an explanation with Badger and Jesse's party conversation about the man hours it'd take to cut every individual pizza. Vince Gilligan doesn't let things go and the fact there's video evidence of Walt cooking meth followed by a heartfelt confession on the same tape is just too big of a deal to just let go.

Actually, the tape isn't a confession. He specifically said, "This is not an admission of guilt. I am speaking to my family now." regardless, you could be right. I just can't see it playing a part in things to come. It may be mentioned, or used in some way, but I can't imagine it being the major plot point in how Walt gets found out. I expect it to be an entirely different thing that reveals his hand. Not sure what that is, just don't think it's that. I could see it being some kind of plot point, or conversation at some point, but not how Walt gets caught. There's so many other things that they could do with it and the major question is how could a tape recorder, like that, last so long untouched and not destroyed? It was left outside ... doesn't it rain in New Mexico? Wouldn't that just destroy it? It's a good idea, but I can't see it. I do want to see two things this season though.

Jessie's parents.

And Walt's mother. I want to see a situation where Walt has to go see his mother, honestly.