GoGo Yubari

So my favorite TV drama is finally coming back after a year and a half, and it's coming back with a double-sized episode this Sunday! How do I feel about this? I will answer it in GIF form;

dancingpete.gif

And we now have a pretty decent little Mad Men viewerbase on EWB, so let's talk showp! Feel free to use this thread to talk about the past four seasons and what you're expecting from season five and whatnot. Me, I just want a Paul Kinsey appearance, even if it's brief. I want to know where my favorite bohemian hipster playwright wannabe landed after season 3.

EDIT: I meant to say "talk shop" but I kind of love the word "showp." I'm going to start using that phrase.

• Like 2

I have the first season on DVD, sitting there for like six months or something. I've only watched the first three, maybe four at a push episodes? I did like it, it had an appeal but I just can't make myself go back and watch the rest, it just never managed to rate high on my priorities for some reason. I definitely didn't hate it, it's just eh. I'll watch it eventually, it just seemed like nothing really seemed to happen.

I have the first season on DVD, sitting there for like six months or something. I've only watched the first three, maybe four at a push episodes? I did like it, it had an appeal but I just can't make myself go back and watch the rest, it just never managed to rate high on my priorities for some reason. I definitely didn't hate it, it's just eh. I'll watch it eventually, it just seemed like nothing really seemed to happen.

Yeah, it takes a a number of episodes to actually get into the show. I mean, I like it a lot, but it's really just a more wanky soap and people don't normally get hooked on a soap on the first episode, takes time to get into the characters. Make it through the first series and you'll get hooked though. The boxsets approach is probably the best way to watch it too.

I love it and I can't wait for it to come back. We get it on Tuesday the 27th, so that's pretty good in terms of how soon we get it after the states. It's easily one of my favourite shows, and probably my favourite drama ever. This season, I'd love to see Betty return to a point where she isn't incredibly annoying and, honestly, I would love to see a bit more focus on the advertisement side of things - just because I adore that side of it. I really get a kick out of seeing what they come up with and such. But really, I don't know quite what to expect, I'm just thrilled that it's finally back on my TV soon.

Echoing on the wanting to know what happened to Paul, though.

Guest mr. potato head

I'm really glad this is coming back. I finally got into the show around the time season 4 was airing, and I think the last episode or two I watched live. I'm hoping now that I'm seeing one episode a week instead of one or two a day, I don't start feeling like the show moves too slowly.

As for what I hope for from the show itself, I'm not too fussy, I trust them to do things well. I just hope the time skip isn't *too* huge. And I could do with less Betty - I'm not crazy for January Jones in the first place, but I just can't stand Betty as a character anymore.

When I first started watching Mad Men, I jumped in around the middle of season 2 and immediately fell in love. Loved season 3. Loved season 4. Went back to buy season 1, and found the majority of it so far from the excellence that were the other seasons. It wasn't that I needed to get attached to the characters, it was more that the writers/actors needed time to get attached to the characters, because no one felt fleshed out yet

When I first started watching Mad Men, I jumped in around the middle of season 2 and immediately fell in love. Loved season 3. Loved season 4. Went back to buy season 1, and found the majority of it so far from the excellence that were the other seasons. It wasn't that I needed to get attached to the characters, it was more that the writers/actors needed time to get attached to the characters, because no one felt fleshed out yet

Jon Hamm as Don Draper in episode #1 compared to episode #52 is completely different, which I think is a given for any long-running show. Because at that point, they don't know who the characters and haven't had time to truly make them three dimensional outside of what they were told by the writing staff. The whole cast, especially January Jones and Christina Hendricks, have really taken off.

I'm very interested to see where this season goes, as shows like The Sopranos and even the fifth season of The Wire have shown that extended lay-offs can affect the quality of a show.

Very fun premiere last night. Best part was Cooper and Peggy's commie journalist boyfriend debating the Vietnam War at the party and callously using the navy guy as a prop to further their argument. Thank god Cooper randomly un-quit SCDP, it's wonderful having him around just... being Bert Cooper.

Really interesting that Megan knows about Dick Whitman and that Don told her that quickly, too. Don and Megan's relationship feels like a mix of different elements from relationships he's had over the series.

Great return episode. I was so giddy seeing Don, Betty and Joan again. The episode got so much accomplished and made me hungry for the next episode. The only thing I didn't really care for was the lost wallet storyline, but I'm not very big on the Lane Pryce character.

Roger: Why don't you sing like that?

Jane: Why don't you look like him?

:lol:

Roger: Why don't you sing like that?

Jane: Why don't you look like him?

:lol:

That line got a loud "HA!" out of me.

Great start episode. Nothing to really complain about. Except I hate Campbell's face. I can't say why, I just want to punch him. That was fine when he was being the whiny little new guy but he's meant to be this junior partner now and I just...can't take him seriously.

His receding hairline is kind of bothersome. I think that's a hair and makeup choice and it's really distracting.

I do really appreciate, though, that while Pete may be older and more mature/competent and sympathetic than he used to be, he's still that irritatingly entitled Ivy Leaguer he was in season one at his core.

Fantastic to have it back on screen - really enjoyed the double episode. Megan singing in french was really, really hot, but it was amusing as it was clearly a strong contrast to what Don wanted. Their relationship is really interesting and sometimes reminds me of a parnet-child relationship, and at other times, they're somewhat equals. But I like it though. But yeah, can't complain, really fun episode and I'm looking forward to where they take it next.

I don't know if they did it in the US, but in the UK we got all of the adverts between the two shows as the old 1960's advertisments for brands. I thought it was a great touch - my mum especially enjoyed it.

Guest mr. potato head

Really enjoyed having the show back. Roger was as funny as ever (and a touch more sympathetic), and Bert had whiter hair. What more could you want? Nice to get an episode without Betty and Henry, although I'm sure they'll be back before long and maybe they'll be surprisingly non-grating.

Only complaints were that attention seemed to be called to Allison Brie more than before Community took off, and the Lane storyline was dull, but then I've always thought that about Lane.

I really don't think they used Allison Brie any more than they had pre-Community. She was in a scene with Pete and the party, right?

Also, previews for next week indicate that Betty will be in it. I really really hope they've figured out how to write her in a non-grating manner after what a drag on the show she was in season 4.

Guest mr. potato head

I really don't think they used Allison Brie any more than they had pre-Community. She was in a scene with Pete and the party, right?

Also, previews for next week indicate that Betty will be in it. I really really hope they've figured out how to write her in a non-grating manner.

Yeah, I don't think they used her more, but she seemed to somehow be...focused on more? Acting more? I'm not sure. Maybe it's just me paying more attention to her, and not the cameras.

I think it's just jarring to see her as Trudy after a year and a half of seeing her as Annie, especially because Annie seems like the character that's closer to how she actually acts in real life. I never really thought about how good she is at making those two characters totally distinct from each other until the season five premiere.