The Punk Thread

RPS

I'd say Lookout was important too, but its since sadly shut down

When founding member Tom DeLonge quit blink-182, fans everywhere said, "say it ain't so."

But now DeLonge has opened to Mic up about the split. It turns out that instead of focusing on all the small things, he had his eyes on some very big things — like extraterrestrial life. 

SEE ALSO: 10-hour loop of Tom DeLonge's verse on Blink-182's 'I Miss You' is hypnotic

“Well it’s not so much about Blink. It’s about what I’m doing with my life now," he explained in the recently published interview.

"When you’re an individual like me, dealing with something [aliens] that’s a national security issue, and you’re being gifted with the opportunity to communicate something you’ve been passionate about your whole life—something that has the opportunity to change the world over time—being a small part of that is enormously important for my life path.”

At one point, the band was an appropriate platform for his mission, but DeLonge said he needed to expand his operations beyond the band. Mark Hoppus, apparently, was not the Dana Scully to his Mulder. 

That's why he's launching Sekret Machines, a company that will educate people about the threat of extraterrestrials through books, documentaries and music from his band, Angels & Airways. 

He has also moved past the word "aliens" — that's just what the government wants you to call them. 

“First of all, we don’t really call it ‘aliens.’ In pop culture, that’s a term people throw out there, and rightfully so because the government spends a lot of time and a lot of money throwing that term out there," he explained. 

DeLonge hopes that people will begin taking him more seriously so he can further discuss details of the mounting evidence, which he insists is backed up by scientists.

“I don’t think I’m going to be the person that offers the best evidence unless people really trust what I’m doing and believe me. There’s been hundreds and hundreds of thousands of eyewitness accounts. Trace evidence that’s been analyzed by scientists across the world. Events have happened on the ground. It’s all around us. I know of stuff I can’t talk about right now.”

Sham mentioned Brody Dalle a few pages back, and man does the Distiller's stuff hold up really well over time. I absolutely adored them as a teenager, but they are fucking fantastic. 

• Like 3

On 6/25/2016 at 14:40, RPS said:

Sham mentioned Brody Dalle a few pages back, and man does the Distiller's stuff hold up really well over time. I absolutely adored them as a teenager, but they are fucking fantastic. 

I still can't forgive Brody for cheating on Tim with the dude from Queens Of The Stone Age

On 26/06/2016 at 14:01, PentaNerf Jr. said:

Is there a better band out there right now than PUP? Rhetorical question, of coure. There is not.

Modern Baseball

and The Hotelier are up there for me.

• Like 1

Kid Dynamites "Shorter, Faster, Louder"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain Coheed and Cambria to me?  I have a friend who has all the albums and the graphic novels, and apparently they weren't released in chronological order, so even he doesn't understand the storyline.  I firmly believe anyone who says they "understand" Coheed and Cambria is lying...

6 hours ago, Lint said:

Can anyone explain Coheed and Cambria to me?  I have a friend who has all the albums and the graphic novels, and apparently they weren't released in chronological order, so even he doesn't understand the storyline.  I firmly believe anyone who says they "understand" Coheed and Cambria is lying...

Coheed and Cambria are a band started mainly by Claudio Sanchez.  He wrote a semi-autobiographical, science-fiction story called the Amory Wars which underpins the entirity of the albums and graphic novels.  Coheed and Cambria themselves are two characters in the stories, the order in which it was released was Vol 2, Vol 3, Vol 4 part 1, Vol 4 part 2, Vol 1 and then the Afterman double album (part of the wider story in the same universe as the main Amory Wars story.  Their most recent record The Color Before the Sun, is not part of the storyline in the Amory Wars.

If you want an actual background to the story try the Wikipedia article on it for a high level overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amory_Wars

• Like 1

I like to think of Coheed songs as just tales in and of themselves that are vaguely related, because trying to comprehend the full series arc is just a nightmare and to be honest all of the fun stuff is found in the songs anyway, the actual sci-fi storyline seemed cool but was never really the appeal to me.

This is a summary from a Reddit post I found if it helps:

The Afterman

The Keywork is thought to simply be the beam of energy that holds the stars and planets together. Sirius Amory is the scientist who discovers its true purpose when he ventures into it on a space exploration journey. He enters the Keywork and is immediately possessed by a series of deranged souls: Domino, Holly, and Vic. He experiences their lives as he discovers that the Keywork is essentially a purgatorial afterlife, fueled by souls who have not moved on. After suffering catastrophic mental injury from resisting the will of Vic the Butcher, Sirius is saved by a transcendent spirit, Evagria, who heals him from the other plane of the afterlife called the Samaritaine. This plane can only be reached by letting go of one's past traumas.

Meanwhile, back on Sirius' home planet, news reaches that his ship has exploded upon contact with the Keywork (true) and it is reasonably assumed that he is dead (false - he was out in his space suit.) While only days are going by for Sirius, months go by elsewhere. Sirius' wife Meri grieves his death, but eventually begins to move on, and becomes interested in a policeman who saves her from a creepy guy at a bar.

Back to Sirius: a fifth entity, Sentry, is a soldier who was betrayed and murdered by Vic the Butcher. He takes over Sirius to save him from Vic and the other spirits, and Sirius helps him transcend into the Samaritaine by helping him let go of his anger about the situation. Briefly experiencing this power surge from Sentry's transcendence, Sirius is able to escape the Keywork and descend back to his planet, a year and a half later. He is awarded for his exploration, but he keeps knowledge of the Keywork's true nature to himself in fear that it will incite mass panic and possibly more sinister uses of the Keywork (this happens in later chapters.) After the award ceremony he meets Meri and offers to drive her home. She announces that she has moved on and is pregnant with the policeman's child, which distracts Sirius and causes him to get in a head on collision with a truck. She dies. Sirius contends with his grief, before deciding to go back into the Keywork to find his wife's soul and help her move on from her grief and attain peace to move onto the next plane - he does not expect to come back.

Year of the Black Rainbow

Many years later, a Mage (not a magician, but a race of beings that rule over the planetary sectors) begins to become greedy and starts killing other Mages that challenge his rule. Wilhelm Ryan is becoming a tyrant.
A black gap appears across the sky suddenly, lasting for about a year, serving as an ambiguous sign and interpreted in many different ways - either as a sign of Ryan's supremacy, or of the coming of end times. Leonard Hohenberger is a scientist whose son is killed in a resistance movement against Wilhelm Ryan. He creates Coheed, Cambria, and Inferno as resistance fighters called IRO-Bots, basically superhuman androids. He sets them to the task of destroying the machines used by Ryan's Red Army to siphon energy from the Keywork.

Upset about this, Wilhelm Ryan's general Mayo kidnaps Hohenberger's wife Pearl and basically holds her as leverage for the scientist's cooperation. He relents, creating a viral serum that, when spread via insects, can basically destroy entire planets, and will serve as a kill switch for Coheed and Cambria. He secretly creates Coheed and Cambria's "daughter" Josephine as the antidote.

Pearl is released, but she is driven insane by her captivity and kills herself in front of Hohenberger. He tries to personally assassinate Mayo, but fails and is killed. In retaliation, Coheed, Cambria, and Inferno attack House Atlantic, Ryan's fortress, and manage to destroy it. Unknown to them, Wilhelm Ryan and Mayo survive. In the aftermath, Inferno wipes Coheed and Cambria's memory so that they can live a normal life together as husband and wife. Thinking that it's over.

Second Stage Turbine Blade

23 years later, Coheed and Cambria are living a normal life with four children: Josephine, Claudio, Matthew and Maria. Mayo visits Coheed (whose memory is wiped) and shows him that he is an IRO-Bot, lying to him about his purpose and insisting that his children hold a virus that threatens to destroy the universe (false: his child is the antidote.) He tells enough half-truths that ring true to Coheed. Told that his children are going to be killed either way, he decides it is best to do it himself to show them mercy. He poisons Matthew and Maria and kills Josephine with a hammer, but Claudio is missing - he is discovering that he has certain powers inherited from (and in some ways exceeding) his parents. He can briefly turn invisible and incorporeal.

Coheed and Cambria are then taken prisoner by the Red Army, but they escape on the way. Mayo unleashes the Flies, which do not kill Coheed and Cambria, but unlock more of their abilities. They destroy one of the stars in the Keywork before they are killed. Meanwhile, Inferno assists Mariah, the general of the Resistance; however, Mayo is able to kill Mariah. Inferno goes into hiding with the remnants of the Resistance.

Claudio finds his way on a vessel to another planet, briefly spending time in what is essentially a massive concentration camp for an alien race demeaningly called Stars. They are being systematically fed into a beam of energy that kills them and releases their soul into the Keywork in order to increase its net energy flow. Really evil shit. He leaves there because he is unable to do anything about it, and goes into hiding for years.

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Years later, Inferno has created IRO-Bots of his own. The two best models are Sizer, a teenage man-child who can turn into a giant beast at will, and Chase, a powerful psychic adult woman in a little girl's body. They fight a massive battle against the Red Army when they are discovered, in which they actually manage to capture Ryan (who surrenders willingly as part of a trick.) However, Sizer is captured and tortured by Mayo and discarded in a slum planet called Godder Damm, where Claudio happens to be hiding. Claudio has been hiding his powers, but he is found simultaneously by a Prise (blue skinned angel chick) named Ambellina, and a "priest" (a bloodthirsty monstrous experiment created by Ryan). Ambellina protects him. Claudio finds Sizer's body and reconstructs him as a companion. Ambellina and then informs him his true importance: he is the Crowing, meant to bring about the end of days when God's plan is disrupted.

He hitches a ride off the planet with a pilot named Al, who turns out to be a psychotic serial killer. He leads them to House Atlantic to turn them in and tries killing Ambellina, but is defeated by Claudio and thrown out of the ship outside House Atlantic. It is a war scene - as part of an elaborate trick, Ryan was able to fake his execution at the hands of the resistance in order to make it look like he has been resurrected as a God, and the Resistance is fighting furiously to end him in his newly reconstructed fortress. Claudio uses a mind control power to force Al to fight (and die) for the cause; however, despite all of the fighting, they are unable to win, the fortress turns out to be mobile, and they flee for safety.

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. I: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Meanwhile, the author of the story, the Writer, is going insane due to a bad breakup with his girlfriend Erica Court. His insanity manifests in a demonic hallucination of his childhood bicycle, Ten Speed, who convinces him to kill off Ambellina, who, in the story, is based on his girlfriend. Meanwhile, things go poorly for the Resistance. Inferno is killed, but Claudio, Sizer, Chase, and Ambellina are doing okay.

The Writer resolves to interfere with the story, and through the Willing Well, a place where the fiction meets the real, he enters the story to inform Claudio of his purpose. The Writer kills Ambellina in order to find closure with his failed relationship, which simultaneously motivates Claudio to destroy the Writer's universe by burning Star IV, the star at the center of the Keywork that holds everything together.

No World For Tomorrow

Very little is known about the plot of this one, because no comics or graphic novels have yet been released, but Claudio clearly prevails in the end, destroying the universe. The Writer bids Claudio and Sirius farewell ("So long, Amory").

• Like 2

I like the part where instead of knowing any of that I just think "A Favor House Atlantic" and "Welcome Home" are some nice tunes.

• Like 3