The Punk Thread

RPS

On 10/4/2016 at 15:42, Broken Cloyd said:

@RPS @VerbalRick everyone else. you guys should check this out. It's $3.99 on Amazon Video and it's also up on American Netflix. It's reallllll good. 

So I caught the first half of this last night and loved it. Music was really good, and I love seeing what these kids have built through DIY methods. One of the young men actually explained "punk" and I sat there thinking "God damn, he gets it, that's exactly what I love about it". 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2017 at 13:11, Naitch said:

88 Fingers Louie were supposed to be playing a gig where I work but we've had to cancel it because the guy who gave us the gig did a runner with the money from a previous show :(

Their new record is tight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I"m biased, since Weston was from the next town over from where I grew up and they were one of the first punk bands I heard.  This is one of the more underrated pop-punk albums

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IJZW2YK/ref=tmm_vnl_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1504015327&sr=8-1

Dead Kennedys singles. CD or Vinyl. 

I didnt know they made a Reagan Youth box set. 

I'm not sure of others off the top of my head but I'd imagine bands like the Ramones, Clash, Misfits, perhaps even Black Flag have stuff like this available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@VerBlood Drive Any suggestions on which albums I should start with concerning the following bands? I just got a hold of their entire discographies and it's a little overwhelming.

Bikini Kill, Husker Du, Sick Of It All, Nation of Ulysses, Black Flag & Fugazi.

37 minutes ago, tristy said:

@VerBlood Drive Any suggestions on which albums I should start with concerning the following bands? I just got a hold of their entire discographies and it's a little overwhelming.

Bikini Kill, Husker Du, Sick Of It All, Nation of Ulysses, Black Flag & Fugazi.

Bikini Kill - Revolution Girl Style Now! is so important as a record that should be your first go.

Husker Du - Zen Arcade is a super influential record and should be a good place to start, though Flip Your Wig is probably better from a stylistic perspective.

Black Flag - Depends which Black Flag you are after, if you want the fast and intense Black Flag then go for Damaged.  If you want the slwoer and sludgier Black Flag then go for Slip It In

Fugazi - Repeater is the most seminal and widely listened to and cited.

• Like 1

@tristy

Rich is right. Definitely check Zen Arcade for Husker Du. The stuff prior is also good, a bit more straightforward hardcore. I actually don't know much Fugazi, Nation of Ulysses, or Sick of it All. 

As for Black Flag, give Everything Went Black, its a compilation that has stuff recorded with the various vocalists (Morris, Reyes, Cadena, and Rollins). First Four Years is another good starting point, has mostly Morris and Reyes. 

@RPS Knows Bikini Kill very well also so he's a good one to consult on that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yea, with Fugazi you really can't go wrong with either 13 Songs (their first 2 eps combined onto one album) or Repeater+3 Songs (Repeater and the 3 Songs ep combined)

• Like 1

woah hey before Lint's last post this thread went almost a month without any 'tent, what have y'all been listening to?

i've been on an emo kick lately so i've been listening to a lot of Now That's What I Call Music Vol 420, a split between Prince Daddy & the Hyena, Mom Jeans, and Pictures of Vernon.  another good little ep that came out last month and that i've been really vibing with is Commander Salamander's Gross October, especially the titular song.