The Punk Thread

RPS

I saw them live once and I didn't really like them. They aren't terrible, but I do they think are guilty of the Ramones offense. Great first few albums, didn't change up the formula or deviate, so everything is just a bit boring after 5-7 albums.

Also relevant to the Punk Thread:

DSC_5033x_original.jpg

• Like 2

I like the first Bad Religion album but never went further beyond that.

Anybody get into Oi? Stuff like Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Sham 69, Cockney Rejects, A.B.H., Angelic Upstarts, 4-Skins, Cock Sparrer, Last Resort, etc. There is great stuff in there, though maybe not for everybody. Some of it is pretty gritty skinhead stuff, but specifically Peter and the Test Tube Babies,Angelic Upstarts, and Cock Sparrer were actually very good. It's very much focused on working class values and a bit of hooligan violence, but it can be great depending on the band. Unfortunately, Oi is one part of punk that got associated with Nazis, there were nazi bands but were in the minority.

I enjoy Cock Sparrer, good band, there are a fuck ton of skinhead punks near where I live when I'm home in the UK, great crowd, but Oi has never really appealed to me all that much. I was much more a skater punk as a kid and related more with the likes of Black Flag and Minor Threat than I did with the UK bands.

• Like 1

Honestly, Oi always turned me off from the beginning. I never found the music particuarly compelling and it was a platform hijacked by some ugly voices. Not that all Oi music is racist and not that punk doesn't have it's fair share of ugly voices, but Oi got hijacked and there was a stench to it that never left.

• 2 weeks later...

There aint no sanity clause is the best punk rock Christmas song

Defy me.

Actually forget that. I just found out Bad Religion did a cover of The Kinks "Father Christmas" and its awesome

• 1 month later...

That first album they recorded is quite possibly the best hardcore punk album ever made. There's definite competition with Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, and others, but it's up there.

Oh and since I'm here...

So fucking cool X. Great footage here, X was great man. Ray Manzarek of the Doors produced a few of their albums. You want to talk about one of punks greatest guitar players? Billy fucking Zoom. Dude was a legit great guitar player with the credentials to back it up, and he had a tone and style that was unmatched. I love these guys.

And fuck it. This is why I love Oi.

• 4 weeks later...

So after randomly getting a recommended for you video on YouTube I just recently rediscovered The Murderdolls, who I used to listen to all the time as a teenager needless to say I forgot how much fun "horror punk" is. Wednesday 13's solo efforts are fun to, Fang Bang in particular is a standout album that has two love letters in Haddonfield and Til Death Do Us Party directed towards the Halloween and Friday The 13th movies that are so catchy.

Next on the agenda is Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13, followed by 45 Grave.

Not sure if its racist for me to find Manic Hispanic funny...

• 2 months later...

Well. Refused have recorded a new album. And the lead single is the thing that dreams are made of. If your dreams involve your childhood dog being murdered in front of you. So it's actually a nightmare.

Why? Why did they have to go and sully their legacy?