The Punk Thread

RPS

I might go with Gogol Bordello, maybe not punk in the traditional sense, but neither were the Pogues. Actually, yeah definitely Gogol Bordello, great band with a great discography that puts on a phenomenal show.

I was able to come up with some more good punk rock guitar solos. Re-Ignition by Bad Brains, and Jesus Was a Communist by Reagan Youth. I love Dr. Know from Bad Brains, great player.

I do love the Amoeba solo, Rikk Agnew is one of my favorite guitar players ever based on that album alone. His tone is absolutely perfect, as a guitar player that is one tone I'd try to chase but not sure if I could ever achieve it. Especially on LA Girl!

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of their earlier work, but Against Me's last album was amazing and led me to dig out my older records. So I think they are probably the best around. 

I'm not a fan of their earlier work, but Against Me's last album was amazing and led me to dig out my older records. So I think they are probably the best around. 

Meanwhile I fucking loved their earlier work, then there was all that middleground shit that came afterwards, but damn they really found their passion again for the last album.

I probably would have loved their earlier work if I was younger and more angry. By the time I got around to listen to it, I didn't feel connected to the angst. But TDB... damn, I felt a connection to that angst.

So I am thinking of doing an ABC of punk rock for...well no reason really, just to maybe generate some discussion. Perhaps to expose people to some different stuff. This is a pretty good thread with some good talk going on, and I figure I'd like to show some of the other bands in the punk scene. So with that being said, if I get to say..R don't expect the Ramones, or if I hit D don't expect Dead Kennedys. I'm trying to go with some stuff that people may not have heard of, and then maybe you have heard of them. So I might end up double posting in here depending on how much people talk, sorry mods, don't crucify me.

So A!

Articles of Faith.

Chicago band, hardcore type. They kind of have a sound that could have fit on the West Coast, but I think definitely have that hardness the midwest bands had. Chicago had a pretty underrated scene, it doesn't get the same notoriety that Detroit or Cleveland had in the midwest but they still produced their fair share of great bands, these guys as proof. 

• Like 2

Today, B is for Bad Company...here come the Jesters, 1 by 1.

Just kidding, fuck Bad Company.

Actually we will go to the West Coast today, and do it a bit different. It wouldn't be fun if it was all hardcore all the time right? I like to show the fun side of punk, the odd side ya know? It was all odd in it's own right, but some guys went a step further and did something that seemed a bit far removed from what we perceive as punk. This was especially true in San Franciso where you had the Screamers with their synthesizers, Geza-X with his...just Geza-Xness, and even the Dead Kennedys fusing surf into their sound.

So today we have Black Randy and the Metrosquad. I love these guys, just a really different sound for the era, they would do songs like I'm showing you now, but also kind of had a funk flavor (such as in Barefooting on the Wicket Picket, or the cover of the Shaft Theme, or even James Brown's I'm Black and I'm Proud).

Next time, I think we will travel to England. Unless I change my mind. 

I didn't change my mind, but it's hard deciding on a C. I would have went with Channel 3 but I already posted them earlier for the shits and the giggles. Besides, I said I'd do England (out of context quote?) for this round. I'm going to go with Conflict for the letter C, so C is for Conflict. They're very much in the anarcho punk realm of lyrical content, much like Crass or Chumbawamba (must be a C thing?), but are much more aggressive than those two. In fact, I've come to really like Conflict over the last few years, and in some ways feel like the English answer to Dead Kennedys, well maybe not. Maybe not in sound, but in the spirit of being highly political and a bit different than their contemporaries. I don't want to mislead anybody into thinking these guys sound like DK. They don't, they've got their own thing going, and it's a mighty good thing.

For the record, spotify has this song named improperly. They have it as Blind Attack, but it most definitely should be 1824 Overture. Oh, these guys have a great discography, so definitely not a one and done band. 

• 2 weeks later...
It wouldn't be fun if it was all hardcore all the time right?

ALRIGHT you wonderful bastards, let's hit E. This is a long time favorite of mine, the English Dogs. A friend of mine turned me on to these guys quite a few years ago and I've been a big fan ever since. They kind of have two eras, the early part is that really gnarly ass D-Beat UK 82 punk stuff, and as time wore on they started to really transition into an almost metal sound. You can likely draw comparisons to Discharge and Charged G.B.H., as the three of these groups are cited as influences on the thrash metal sound (Anthrax, Slayer, and Metallica have covered Discharge and GBH to give you an idea).

I think this stuff from their EP To The Ends of the Earth represents a pretty good balance between their punk and metal days. 

They don't get much love in the punk community because they are a largely electronic band, but I've always loved Atari Teenage Riot.  They were a techno/electronic band, but definitely have a punk mentality.  Infact, they started out sampling punk bands for their songs.

Here is their song "Kids Are United", sampling from Sham 69s "If The Kids Are United"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might be biased.  Got into Plow United in 1996, when I was 15.  While they reunited and recorded a kick-ass comback album 2 years ago, some of their songs haven't really hit me in meaning until I got older.  This is one in particular.  A song about how you figure you'll be friends with certain people for life, but as you get older, you drift apart and lose them

Hey guys, it's alphabet time. F as in...totally didn't forget.

So I'm going to cheat a bit and post an E.P. as opposed to one song, this by the band Flag of Democracy. Hey Lint, these dudes were from Philly, so your  region. I think. One thing to take from this band, vocals very similar to Jello Biafra, so if you were desperately trying to fill a nasally voiced punk band in to your musical quiver, then these are your guys.

Edited by Puke Day