The Punk Thread

RPS

13 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I like the part where instead of knowing any of that I just think "A Favor House Atlantic" and "Welcome Home" are some nice tunes.

Different people have different opinions and tastes, some people like the progressive story telling nature of the band.  I mean I love those songs, but there is so much more to Coheed than "nice tunes" and that's what interests some people.  Also there are many songs just as good as the ones you mention :P

• Like 1

Alan Vega of Suicide has also died. Sad, Suicide was excellent, very different sound from a lot of the other punk bands of their era. He lived to be 78 so he did live a long life, and holy shit I had no idea he was that old.

Actually I should restate that they were a proto punk group, so they were laying something different down before punk was punk. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2016 at 11:05, Rich said:

Coheed and Cambria are a band started mainly by Claudio Sanchez.  He wrote a semi-autobiographical, science-fiction story called the Amory Wars which underpins the entirity of the albums and graphic novels.  Coheed and Cambria themselves are two characters in the stories, the order in which it was released was Vol 2, Vol 3, Vol 4 part 1, Vol 4 part 2, Vol 1 and then the Afterman double album (part of the wider story in the same universe as the main Amory Wars story.  Their most recent record The Color Before the Sun, is not part of the storyline in the Amory Wars.

If you want an actual background to the story try the Wikipedia article on it for a high level overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amory_Wars

On 7/11/2016 at 11:13, Benji said:

I like to think of Coheed songs as just tales in and of themselves that are vaguely related, because trying to comprehend the full series arc is just a nightmare and to be honest all of the fun stuff is found in the songs anyway, the actual sci-fi storyline seemed cool but was never really the appeal to me.

This is a summary from a Reddit post I found if it helps:

Yea ok...these help but I still have no idea, if I wanted to buy them, what order to get the graphic novels in then list to albums. 

On 7/11/2016 at 14:25, Cloudy said:

I like the part where instead of knowing any of that I just think "A Favor House Atlantic" and "Welcome Home" are some nice tunes.

I agree, very nice songs

1 hour ago, Lint said:

Yea ok...these help but I still have no idea, if I wanted to buy them, what order to get the graphic novels in then list to albums. 

I agree, very nice songs

You need to get them in the same order.  So Album wise, Vol 2.  The Second Stage Turbine Blade should be bought first, and the comics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Stage_Turbine_Blade_(comics) should also be bought, they compliment each other.

Bear in mind the comics are super expensive now as they are out of print

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

You need to get them in the same order.  So Album wise, Vol 2.  The Second Stage Turbine Blade should be bought first, and the comics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Stage_Turbine_Blade_(comics) should also be bought, they compliment each other.

Bear in mind the comics are super expensive now as they are out of print

https://www.amazon.com/Amory-Wars-Vol-Second-Turbine/dp/1582409412/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

You can get all the issues in one paper back for $70

• Like 1

On 12/07/2016 at 08:40, Rich said:

Different people have different opinions and tastes, some people like the progressive story telling nature of the band.  I mean I love those songs, but there is so much more to Coheed than "nice tunes" and that's what interests some people.  Also there are many songs just as good as the ones you mention :P

Thanks for posting so much detail and such on Coheed. Been on a binge the last couple of days, I'd forgotten how much I liked them!

Decided to give the Post-Good Apollo Vol. 1 albums another chance too, and they're better than I remember, particularly NWFT.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2016 at 21:41, Lint said:

I always have a soft spot in my heart for anything the Descendents put out. 

• Like 2

I mean... there early stuff is great and rad. There later stuff is not great, but I still listen to it and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

I find it curious that there is a guy in the comments section thinking this is a weak album. I think it's great, the whole thing from top to bottom is a very strong album and possibly my second favorite from Nomeansno. Wrong is of course the masterpiece, but this is very good, shows a bit of their diversity in sound that it wasn't always hardcore-post punk type stuff. 

I was just coming here to post that.

Yeah, that is basically every great DC punk band barring Bad Brains. My favorites here are Government Issue, Youth Brigade, and Minor Threat (of course).

You may also notice the singer of SOA went on to be a singer for a well known west coast punk band.