The Punk Thread

RPS

11 hours ago, Cloudy said:

@RPS @VerbalRick everyone else. you guys should check this out. It's $3.99 on Amazon Video and it's also up on American Netflix. It's reallllll good. 

9 hours ago, VerbalRick said:

That looks great Cloudy. I will check it out. I would like to show a friend of mine out here, he's a Mexican dude that grew up in LA and sorta knew that scene though he is more of a metal head. He has a friend that was drumming for Dr. Know so he may dig that.

Speaking of Hispanic punk bands, here is Union 13, a largely Mexican punk band, doing a cover of Rancids "Roots Radicals" in Spanish

You have to have a taste for the wilder side of punk for these guys, but they're fucking great. This girl I used to know got me into them, "Dude, Ricky check these guys out, they're so fucking pissed" and they are. 

Here is their discography. I think I still have a copy of this CD somewhere around the house, but I played the fucking shit out of it when I was 19 or so, I loved it. I haven't heard it in ages and I miss it. 

Since we're on the topic of hispanic punk...The Zeros, absolutely fantastic. I think this is probably going to be more up your guys alley, they've been  called the Mexican Ramones, but also sound like a product of the late 70s/early 80s west coast scene they were part of. Good, gritty punk band that is definitely poppy at times. I guess they're a power pop band, you could say that.

And of course the Plugz. Same scene as the Zeros, incredibly rad band. They do a cool cover of Secret Agent Man. But I'm going to post my favorite song by them, pretty good. Nice clean guitar tone as well, don't always need grit to be a punk.

• Like 1

If you wanna go a bit more fun in Hispanic bands, you can't look beyond Manic Hispanic, who features Mexican band members who do Mexican parodies of punk songs

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well this is almost 4 years old, but TIL..

Mark Hoppus, in his latest Reddit AMA session, has reveled the original concept for Blink-182's "Josie" music video.

The Reddit question he responded to stemmed from an alternate version of the video, which was directed by Jason Matzner and featured the band performing in flooding basement. A clip of this video, which you can watch below, surfaced online in 2011.[/quote[

"i had an idea for the josie video, that we would be the band playing on the deck of an old cruise liner as it sunk. we would play in real time as everything around us exploded in slow motion. gradually at first, building in intensity, reaching complete catastrpohe at the end. people running, sparks flying, superstructure collapsing. the ship floods, and the last shot of the video is the ship sinking into the dark waters as the song ends "everything's gonna be fine." the label listened and said "cool, but no. that video will cost millions of dollars." so the alternative was us playing in a basement and the pipes break. the room floods and we continue playing. we shot the video in the backlot of universal studios on a very cold and long day. i just remember shivering and the water always being shockingly cold every time we had to get in it. bracing. so cold. the first edit came back and no one was really feeling it, so we scrapped it and started over."

That turned unto this, a much better video IMO

Edit:  I don't know how to do multi-offsite quotes in one post

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2016 at 08:10, Lint said:

If you wanna go a bit more fun in Hispanic bands, you can't look beyond Manic Hispanic, who features Mexican band members who do Mexican parodies of punk songs

Mijo Goes to College :lol: 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 08:33, VerbalPuke said:

Finding that I am really liking the Rollins era of Black Flag. Feel like I dismissed it, but it's great stuff. 

I love Greg Ginns guitar work. From style and tone, he's really very good, one of my favorites.

I swear it was you who said at one point you hated Rollins era Black Flag. :P It's one of my favorites. Especially the latter years, with the move towards a more doom metal kind of sound (no surprise, considering they were on SST Records with Saint Vitus, who has covered Black Flag in the past).

Also, fuck, I've been listening to this album a lot (again) lately and I love every song on it.

In particular, I really like Hank 3's version of "No Values" and Ice-T's "Police Story" and Lemmy doing "Thirsty & Miserable". Oh and Mike Patton on "Six Pack" is great. It's all great.

• Like 2

I don't know if I ever hated it but it initially didn't grab my attention like the Morris/Reyes stuff. I find that I am really enjoying slip it in. 

3 hours ago, Broken Cloudy said:

I swear it was you who said at one point you hated Rollins era Black Flag. :P It's one of my favorites. Especially the latter years, with the move towards a more doom metal kind of sound (no surprise, considering they were on SST Records with Saint Vitus, who has covered Black Flag in the past).

Also, fuck, I've been listening to this album a lot (again) lately and I love every song on it.

In particular, I really like Hank 3's version of "No Values" and Ice-T's "Police Story" and Lemmy doing "Thirsty & Miserable". Oh and Mike Patton on "Six Pack" is great. It's all great.

Wow, that cover of Rise Above is fucking banging, nicely done. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 17:52, VerbalPuke said:

I don't know if I ever hated it but it initially didn't grab my attention like the Morris/Reyes stuff. I find that I am really enjoying slip it in. 

I mean is it really a cover?  Different backing band but the singer is still the same.  Feel the same way about Keith Morris's newer Nervous Breakdown.  They sound better because Rollins and Morris have aged 20 years since the songs were recorded

That being said I do like the updated versions much better...never really dug Rollins voice when he was with Black Flag.  His voice got better as he got older

I haven't had the chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but my favorite artist put out a new album today. Argyle Goolsby played bass for Blitzkid, who I feel like took the mantles of Kings of Horror Punk while they were around. Goolsby's solo stuff has been more goth rock influenced, but the punk is still definitely there. I've heard the first few tracks, the re-recording of Washer at the Ford, and In Votive Light so far, and my spotify is going to be playing this on repeat until my copy of the vinyl arrives.

Argyle Goolsby - Darken Your Doorstep

Full Album on YouTube.

On 6/23/2017 at 02:17, Lint said:

I mean is it really a cover?  Different backing band but the singer is still the same.  Feel the same way about Keith Morris's newer Nervous Breakdown.  They sound better because Rollins and Morris have aged 20 years since the songs were recorded

That being said I do like the updated versions much better...never really dug Rollins voice when he was with Black Flag.  His voice got better as he got older

Is Greg Ginn on guitar? If not, then yes, it's a cover. 

I do consider it a cover since since the band is different, and the guy that wrote the songs isn't playing on it. My understanding is that Ginn wrote the vast majority of their songs. 

I think the bigger question is if the song is a legend or icon. (Which is my way of joking about cover or not, which I get what you mean since you have the original vocalists on it). 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 13:48, Broken Cloyd said:

I've had the "Depression" cover by Casey Chaos in my head for weeks for no apparent reason.

On 6/10/2017 at 17:52, VerbalPuke said:

How about this cover of Black Flag?

• Like 1