Sign in to follow this  
RPS

The Punk Thread

The fuck I had no idea Body Count did a cover of Institutionalised lmao this is brilliant

• Like 2

On 07/04/2018 at 12:32, Malenko said:

I love post hardcore. Steve Albini has been in a few more bands that you may like as well in case you don't know them yet like Rapeman and also Big Black, although this one has more of a punk feel but still post hardcore/noise rock. I'd recommend you newer stuff but a lot of times it's cleaner and more derivative and I feel you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

That Rapeman album is amazing. Might be my favorite Albini project and I bought the album on a whim (Two Nuns, and a Pack Mule). 

It reminds me of Jesus Lizard which isn’t a stretch given its Steve Albini and on the Touch and Go label.

Speaking of Jesus Lizard and Rapeman, Scratch Acid is amazing.

Scratch Acid was sorta Jesus Lizard before Jesus Lizard. There was David Yow two others that went to Rapeman, then one of those guys formed Jesus Lizard. 

They’re really good though, interesting sounds. Hard to describe as they fit in that post-hardcore sorta mold but aren’t as noisy as other stuff in that era. 

Does New Wave count as punk? Love me some Sonic Youth.

This has been my monthly 'Man, GG Allin/Joe Strummer/Crass are really great' post in disguise.

Close enough. I love Sonic Youth also, definitely a band I'd pay good money to see live if the opportunity ever presents itself. I kind of use this thread for my noise rock musings anyway. Hell man, most of those bands and bands like Sonic Youth came about because of punk influences. The song Hotwire My Heart is an old Crime song. 

On the Post-hardcore front, I am amazed I will get to see Jawbox later this year, never thought I would get the chance

I love everything Blink does.

Also! Going to my first concert in years in July! Reel Big Fish + The Aquabats!

On 16/03/2019 at 19:44, VerbalPuke said:

band I love covering band I love. 

Love it.

I don't like that, mainly because Jello's vocals are pretty iconic for me...Dead Kennedys was one of the first punk bands I got into.  Musically I like it, but I don't like how the singer sounds on it.  I also generally dislike most covers of DK though  

On 08/05/2019 at 13:43, Ruki said:

I love everything Blink does.

Also! Going to my first concert in years in July! Reel Big Fish + The Aquabats!

I don't like everything Blink does, but I do like that song.  It shows the maturing and progression they've been doing the last couple of albums.  

On 07/05/2019 at 12:12, Rich said:

On the Post-hardcore front, I am amazed I will get to see Jawbox later this year, never thought I would get the chance

There are so many bands I've only seen due to reunions being a thing. One of my best gig buddies never went to any of those because he dislikes the idea and I actually get his point of view. We're not really living those shows from back when the bands were really feeling what they wrote, both musically and lyrically.  I get it. It's not as organic and sincere. Possibly less intense too.

I'll still try go to every reunion show I can if I really like the band, though, so yeah...

42 minutes ago, Lint said:

I don't like that, mainly because Jello's vocals are pretty iconic for me...Dead Kennedys was one of the first punk bands I got into.  Musically I like it, but I don't like how the singer sounds on it.  I also generally dislike most covers of DK though  

I don't like everything Blink does, but I do like that song.  It shows the maturing and progression they've been doing the last couple of albums.  

It's going to be nearly impossible to find anyone who'd add that much to a DK song with his unique vocals as Jello did. I went to Dead Kennedys gigs some 15 years ago or so, obviously without him, and while I get it wasn't the same thing, I still went because I felt it was going to be the only possible way to ever see them live (so far I haven't been proven wrong). 

While not exactly the same situation, I do understand why you'd feel that way. I know it's not the same, however I still get all excited whenever I see a small band playing a DK cover. Just lower a bit the expectations and enjoy it for what it is, I guess.

I've seen Jello since, with the Guantanamo School of Medicine. It's cool, just not the Dead Kennedys.

Every band is going to have their own take on something. I felt like Steel Pole Bathtub does well making it their own but staying true to the original also (not changing so drastically that it sounds bad).

I saw DK three years ago in Vegas and it was honestly an amazing show. It wasn’t Jello but the musicians were original and East Bay Ray is among my favorite guitar players ever so it still meant something to me. Honestly, the dude they had filling in for Jello did an admirable job, he brought energy and didn’t take away from the sound. 

The hardest thing to overcome for me with bands trying to be DK or cover DK songs is I just don't believe in people singing them the way I do Jello. 

For example, I personally felt that Green Day leaned way into being DK with their political stuff. It makes sense as an influence on them, and Green Day is a fine band, but I don't believe it when they do it the way I do when Jello does.

I did feel the Serj Tankian and Foo Fighters cover of Holiday in Cambodia had something behind it, if for no other reason then Serj being Armenian has knowledge about genocide (I've been drinking, that probably came out worse then I meant it to)

11 hours ago, Lint said:

I did feel the Serj Tankian and Foo Fighters cover of Holiday in Cambodia had something behind it, if for no other reason then Serj being Armenian has knowledge about genocide (I've been drinking, that probably came out worse then I meant it to)

It's fine, but has none of the venom or energy of Jello. It's a small thing, but if you can't use the full lyrics then it isn't the right venue for that song. I dunno, just my opinion.

I'd like to see them try and play Police Truck on MTV, though.

Only posting here because the soundtrack was absolutely killer, but if you are into horror movies, check out The Ranger. Non-spoiler synopsis: five punk kids are on the run because the cops broke up an unauthorized punk show and one of the kids stabs a cop.

It's available on the Shudder streaming service.

Speaking of, Deadly Class had probably the best soundtrack of any tv or movie I’ve ever seen. 

And some other DK covers