The Punk Thread

RPS

I'd throw in Agent Orange, Adolescents, and D.I.

Most Orange County bands from the early 80s will fall into this mold. Even some early TSOL follows that style, though they sort of got weird after those first two albums.

Oh yeah, Big Boys from Texas had some skate affiliation, but they were probably about the funkiest punk band you'll ever heard. They were pretty fucking rad all around though. Not everything is funky, but shit like Hollywood Swinging and We Got Soul Man, that's some good shit.

The Dickies were good pop punk, but kind of on the weird side. Actually, really on the weird side, but they were actually fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53Fp4HQUPg&list=ALBTKoXRg38BA-Q9OeploosbdhNeh9OsR5

Since Eric mentioned The Descendents, someone should also mention All, which is basically The Descendents with a different singer for whenever Milo decides to spend more time in the lab

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reccomendations guys, I'll get back to you when I'm done :(Y):

And in response to Eric, I've actually been playing the original Pro Skater fairly recently but with the sound down, definitely turning it up next time I do.

Edited by Hornswoggle4PM
  • Like 1

Tony Hawk Pro Skater, man I loved that game. It was so much fun and also had a fantastic soundtrack. Dead Kennedys, Primus, and Unsane were my favorite. That game actually got me into Unsane, and I've been a big fan ever since. The Vandals have a pretty neat song in that game as well, and it also has Suicidal Tendencies when they went back to their punk roots after a long foray into funk metal (which was kind of lame).

That reminds me, Suicidal Tendencies is a pretty good skate punk band, mostly their first album though. Their first album is a punk masterpiece in my eyes, they don't get lumped in that category as much because most people associate them with heavy metal, but that first self titled album is absolute gold. Freedumb (which is where the Tony Hawk song is from) is also quite good, I'd stick with those two albums personally.

Also should mention D.R.I., they had a bit of influence on the skater scenes, but they're another band that really swung into the metal zone after their first few albums. Thing with D.R.I. is that their metal albums were actually pretty good. D.R.I. stands for Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, they took the name because the father of one of the band members would come home and yell at them calling them "Dirty Rotten Imbeciles" for playing the music they played.

• Like 2

i'm high and i want some current punk. don't get me wrong, i love the 70s and 80s punk, but i want some recent/newer stuff. genre blurring bands and whatnot. like, Ty Segall has the punk "DIY" attitude, but is lofi grunge or something.

D.I. is good that sways between hardcore punk and skate punk

Only song by them I can remember...pretty obscure early/mid 90s Fat Wreck band. Songs good though

Going back to Ska...this is one of the first songs I can remember hearing as ska without punk associated with it

• Like 1

I said this is another thread...I hate to double post, but this is a pretty interesting thing with Jello Biafra of The Dead Kennedys

i'm high and i want some current punk. don't get me wrong, i love the 70s and 80s punk, but i want some recent/newer stuff. genre blurring bands and whatnot. like, Ty Segall has the punk "DIY" attitude, but is lofi grunge or something.

Japanther is an artsy-lofi-dance-noise-punk band. They rule. Personally their newest album "Eat like Lisa Act like Bart" is a lil too poppy for me, but other than that their discography is perfect.Here are 5 songs of their's in chronological order.

Change Your Life off "Wolfenswan"

Surfin' Coffin off "Rock 'n' Roll Ice Cream"

Radical Businessman off "Tut Tut, Now Shake Ya Butt" (was in GTA IV's DLC The Lost & The Damned)

First of All off "Beets, Limes and Rice"

Something to do off "Eat like Lisa Act like Bart"

Also, anyone into Folk Punk? Basically punk with acoustic instruments. Early Against Me!, Early Andrew Jackson Jihad, Ghost Mice/Chris Clavin, Johnny Hobo/Wingnut Dishwasher's Union/Ramshackle Glory & Defiance Ohio are all great places to start if Folk Punk sounds interesting.

• Like 1

Two of my favorite 80's hardcore bands right now are Discharge and Big Black. I can't believe I never listened to Big Black as a teenager.

Discharge is fucking awesome, I love Discharge. I love the UK82/D-Beat that came out of England, you might want to check out English Dogs if you like Discharge.

I haven't heard a lot of Big Black, but I do like Shellac which is another of Steve Albini's projects.

• Like 1

Two of my favorite 80's hardcore bands right now are Discharge and Big Black. I can't believe I never listened to Big Black as a teenager.

Yes!! Discharge is apocalyptic and crushing. The intro and song of The Possibility of Life's Destruction should be required listening for school kids to learn about the Cold War arms race. Thank you Discharge for the enlightening education, combined with three chords and the truth.

I second Japandroids in general for the sheer catchiness. Also I'd recommend Bad Religion's 2001 record The Process of Belief which is very slick and modern sounding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uShh9jDrOWI

Japanther and the folk punk suggestion(s) are the only ones that have stuck so far. Especially Japanther, actually. New favorite band for the moment.

Glad you dug em! Here's the bandcamp for Plan-it-X Record, which everyone who i mentioned released something on. You'll probably like somethings on here seeing as how there are over 100 albums/splits/EPs/LPs.

http://chrisclavin.bandcamp.com/

http://spotirama.blogspot.com/2014/02/uncut-50-greatest-american-punk-lps.html

50 Greatest American punk LPS, not a bad list at all honestly. I don't know if the placement is in order or if it's at random, but it's good for the most part. A few issues I have are the Dead Boys "We've Come For Your Children" over their debut album "Young, Loud, and Snotty". No fucking way man, their debut was an instant classic and the best album they ever recorded.

Second, the Adolescents self-titled should be on this list. I don't think I saw any other glaring omissions, of course I'll have to look harder and dissect this a bit later. Still, those were the first two things that jumped out at me.

Their does seem to be some proto-punk bias as well with a healthy portion of groups like Television, Dictators, Patty Smith, the Runaways, and Lou Reed. Ok so where the fuck are the New York Dolls? Ok, maybe I do have bigger issues with this list.

• Like 1

http://spotirama.blogspot.com/2014/02/uncut-50-greatest-american-punk-lps.html

50 Greatest American punk LPS, not a bad list at all honestly. I don't know if the placement is in order or if it's at random, but it's good for the most part. A few issues I have are the Dead Boys "We've Come For Your Children" over their debut album "Young, Loud, and Snotty". No fucking way man, their debut was an instant classic and the best album they ever recorded.

Second, the Adolescents self-titled should be on this list. I don't think I saw any other glaring omissions, of course I'll have to look harder and dissect this a bit later. Still, those were the first two things that jumped out at me.

Their does seem to be some proto-punk bias as well with a healthy portion of groups like Television, Dictators, Patty Smith, the Runaways, and Lou Reed. Ok so where the fuck are the New York Dolls? Ok, maybe I do have bigger issues with this list.

Dolls aren't on the list? Redundant.