The Punk Thread

RPS

For anyone it may or may not interest, I done did a Larry Arms cover. I can't sing, like, at all, before you get your hopes up, but I kind of want to start uploading more covers because I think it'll give me the kick up the ass I need to write more. Hate or appreciate, whatevz.

• Like 1

I like it!  I think your singing is fine actually.  Though I admit I'm not too familiar with Lawrence Arms.  Ok, I'm not familiar at all with them...never listened to them before.  But I love acoustic covers of punk songs.  This is one of my favorites

If your don't know Bigwig, this is the original

• 2 weeks later...

So this weekend at Reading Festival The Menzingers and Against Me! totally slayed. Good times.

I was *this* close to getting a Saturday ticket for Leeds. How were Modern Life Is War?

Stuck out like a sore thumb unfortunately, crowds all weekend for all bands were tame, and the sound wasn't great for them either.

Put it this way, crowds were so disinterested, I walked through the front of the crowd on the main stage left to right whilst Metallica played in 2 minutes flat easy. Everyone was standing still in pretty much every band. Jamie T had probably the biggest crowd of the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

H. Holy shit I forgot about this. H was a bit of a challenge, so I settled on Hated Youth from Florida. They're a "something Youth" band, there was plenty of bands that were something Youth. Fun fact, one of the first LP's I ever bought about ten-twelve years ago was Hated Youth. I knew of them and was surprised to find their stuff in the local record shop so I grabbed it. It's one of your hardcore fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if I've posted this before, but IMO this is the most underrated punk album ever

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The reviews all said it was terrible.  Even the most hardcore punk sites who worship Black Flag were like "Yea, this is a terrible album":

I just checked it out, and there were a few times I almost liked it but then the shitty lead singer ruined it. Not a fan of the rhythm section either, sounds too...I can't explain it, just not good. I loved everything up until Damaged, and after that not so much. I like Gregg Ginns guitar work, but I just never cared for them post-Damaged.

and I love the pre-Damaged work. Some of my favorite hardcore ever.

Teenage Bottle Rocket drummer Brandon Carlisle has passed away after faling in to a coma earlier this week,  statement from the band below:

It is with the heaviest hearts that we have to report our beloved drummer Brandon didn't make it. The doctors did everything they could to save him, but the MRI showed he is no longer with us. His family and loved ones are with him as they prepare to take him off life support and let him gently move on. 

Seeing so many people from all over the world come together in support has been amazing and we know Brandon could feel how much he was really loved. Brandon lived his life with his whole heart. He loved music, and he loved people. He always made it a point to let everyone know how much they meant to him, and to take time to make new friends. Anyone who was lucky enough to spend even a minute with the guy knows what a blessing he was to this earth. So with that love in our hearts, we carry him with us as we say goodbye. To the best drummer, the kindest soul and our brother and best friend, you will be in our hearts always.

Rest in Peace Brandon, we all love you so much.

So sad, only saw the guys play last Saturday, tragic.

• 1 month later...

What were the best punk albums released this year? I'm loving the Downtown Boys album and I'm too lazy to go out and find some other good albums.