The Punk Thread

RPS

I listened to Beach Slang when it first came out. It was fine. Something just didn't connect to me. I saw them and the Wonder Year getting a lot of love, and I checked both out. Not my cup of tea. 

I think I should like Bad Cop, Bad Cop more than I do. I'll listen to their LP later. 

I used Rate Your Music to check some stuff out. I really dig Pwr Bttm, G.L.O.S.S. and Mutoid Man. 

I also forgot the new Wavves album came out this year. I dig that one. 

• 4 weeks later...

So we discussed the Dead Kennedys touring with Jello earlier.

So they are coming to Vegas on March 12th. I thought it over and wondered if it would be a dick move to go see them since I sort of side with Jello on the issue. I said fuck it and decided I'd go because East Bay Ray is a huge reason I picked up a guitar, and the Dead Kennedys music as much as Jello's words and overall awesomeness are something I've been in love with. So yeah, the band is still intact with a guy named Skip McSkipper or some shit singing, and I figured I'd regret not seeing some musicians I fucking really adore. Anyway, I also found a nice bonus on the flyer for the show, the Freeze.

The Freeze is a hardcore band from the Boston area, they date back to 1978. I used to listen to them a lot in my early 20s but haven't much since then, but always did like them. So it's pretty cool to see two classic bands from the old days for a pretty reasonable price (my wife and I are going for 36 bucks).

Man...Ben Weasel rights some great pop punk...but he's such an asshole

• Like 1

On 11/3/2015 at 11:31, RPS said:

Terrible life decisions - bored on Spotify and you are like "hey, I wonder how bad that last Black Flag album was?"

It is terrible. 

On 11/4/2015 at 21:24, VerbalRick said:

I just checked it out, and there were a few times I almost liked it but then the shitty lead singer ruined it. Not a fan of the rhythm section either, sounds too...I can't explain it, just not good. I loved everything up until Damaged, and after that not so much. I like Gregg Ginns guitar work, but I just never cared for them post-Damaged.

and I love the pre-Damaged work. Some of my favorite hardcore ever.

I only just saw these posts. I'm sad that What The.. sucked, because I always liked Ron Reyes. I also really liked My War and Slip It In, in particular because of the slightly more doom bent those albums had thanks to Saint Vitus (one of my favorite doom bands ever) influencing Greg Ginn.

9 hours ago, Lint said:

Man...Ben Weasel rights some great pop punk...but he's such an asshole

I have such a hard time listening to Screeching Weasel for that very reason. The music is always great, it's just listening is always tainted by what a douche that guy is.

• Like 1

I've only ever heard one song by TMLE. It was their cover of Henry The VIII I Am

On 1/2/2016 at 11:02, RPS said:

What were the best punk albums released this year? I'm loving the Downtown Boys album and I'm too lazy to go out and find some other good albums. 

Oops, didn't get to the end of your post...

They remind me of X-Ray Spex. I was never a big X-Ray fan... but I love Downtown Boys! 

• 3 weeks later...

Also, Jesse Michaels from Operation Ivy in a custom Bernie Sanders shirt

oFOjNfI.jpg

God dammit why does Spotify come up with results, but when I try to play them, say "This song is not available"...Everything by The Lippies and 1/2 of the stuff by The Misfits does that for me

Edit: Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled and now its fine