General Web Series Thread (YouTubers, LPs, Vloggers Etc)

Hobo

What did he actully say to Lupa and Jesu? Been looking at his tweets and can't find it (have found a lot of Spoony fighting/insulting random people, plus flirting with Punky Val)

He "joked" about chaining Lupa (I think) up in his basement and raping her. Classy.

What did he actully say to Lupa and Jesu? Been looking at his tweets and can't find it (have found a lot of Spoony fighting/insulting random people, plus flirting with Punky Val)

He "joked" about chaining Lupa (I think) up in his basement and raping her. Classy.

As you said, fucking classy.

And Spoony's fans response so far is to either bug Spoony about his problems or demand a boycott of Lupa's and Jesu's shows. Though that hardly shocking given that his fans are infamous for their behaivour. I'm guessing Phelous and Nash will be added to the "list" since they are defending their girlfriends against the "RAWR!! YOU GOT SPOONY BANNED!! WHORE!!!" brigade (including someone telling Phelous only women can get offended at rape jokes, idiot).

I'm a big Spoony (he's in the group of TGWTG people whose blip pages I check once a couple of times a week for new stuff, along with Linkara, Lupa, Nostalgia Chick and Nash) fan but he's in the wrong here (which he even admitted, saying the suspension was justified) and following the announcement he had left TGWTG what was his response? To tell Welshy he wanted to rape him. :bang: You're really not helping matters here Spoony

As you said, fucking classy.

And Spoony's fans response so far is to either bug Spoony about his problems or demand a boycott of Lupa's and Jesu's shows. Though that hardly shocking given that his fans are infamous for their behaivour. I'm guessing Phelous and Nash will be added to the "list" since they are defending their girlfriends against the "RAWR!! YOU GOT SPOONY BANNED!! WHORE!!!" brigade (including someone telling Phelous only women can get offended at rape jokes, idiot).

I'm a big Spoony (he's in the group of TGWTG people whose blip pages I check once a couple of times a week for new stuff, along with Linkara, Lupa, Nostalgia Chick and Nash) fan but he's in the wrong here (which he even admitted, saying the suspension was justified) and following the announcement he had left TGWTG what was his response? To tell Welshy he wanted to rape him. :bang: You're really not helping matters here Spoony

I don't know how I got onto it, Hobo may have mentioned it and I thought "well, it's better than doing any work", but I have been reading some of the Internet Critics thread on Something Awful lately. No idea why as my love of video critics died well over two years ago when it became clear, and confirmed by that thread, how most of the reviewers have no sense of irony of how they spend their 'careers' deriding awful films and then release shit like Kickassia where they then argue, because it's free, everyone should shut up and love it.

Not so incidentally, the only reviewers I still follow are the ones not on That Guy With The Glasses.

My point? The TGWTG guys have seemingly created an unhealthy bubble where they've become their own personal Gods who think they're relevant because Internet fame equals real fame. They are worshipped by twisted fanboys that go on the attack whenever any criticism comes their way, and somehow justify the reviewers' unsocialable actions by doing shit like sending whatever misogynistic bollocks they're probably sending to this Lupa girl right now.

I stopped watching Spoony way back when because it became obvious that the guy was an mentally unstable, egocentric prick. It may be the 'mentally unstable' part causing the 'egocentric prick' part, who knows? But I felt like I was encouraging someone's inevitable downward spiral by watching his Blip revenue boosting videos. So I stopped. I'm not surprised he has had a Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout because when you spend your days being egged on to review shit instead of having a real job, a social life, and other basics of human interaction, your mind will become fucked up. The only difference between him and an alcoholic is a so-called fanbase.

The only difference between him and an alcoholic is a so-called fanbase.

fick+fear.jpg ?

• Like 3

It was about a month ago. Spoony tweeted to JesuOtaku the whole if Nash ever breaks up with you, I want to chain you up in my basement tweet. Lupa followed that up by telling him how terrible that was a thing to say.

Cut to last weekend Spoony went off on a fan and it all got a bit too much so he was spendeded.

Now it seems he has been fired. In the four year history of the site only, I think, two people have ever been fired from it. That Aussie Guy who from what I understand was fired over his behaviour at the first anniversary shoot and now Spoony.

It's been coming. You could see it in the tweets of other TGWTG folk that things had gone too far. I can not really see the site taking a huge hit on losing him. He has not been updating regularly for over a year, in the time Spoony has been on the slide NChick has been becoming brilliant.

As well as that Oancitizen has arrived, Todd, Lupa, Diamanda Hagan and Phelous have really become big. Phelous has been around for ages obviously but in the last year or two he has hit a stride. Probably one of the most legit funny Internet reviews of them even if some of his jokes are heavily reliant on watching his stuff regularly.

Like Ellis said, Spoony probably drives most of his traffic through his site. He has a crazy loyal and somewhat infamously so fan base who tend to hate anyone who isn't him.

I have checked the TGWTG forums about the suspension and the fandom seemed mostly acceptable of it. I haven't looked into it since he has been fired. Cause I just found out. I'm sure Something Awful is revelling in Spoony's downfall.

I honesty do not think that TGWTG producers think of themselves as GA describes. I have not seen that kind of behaviour from them on twitter or vlogs etc.

A lot of them just seem to be having fun and doing something they love. At least the ones I watch on a regular basis anyway. They just seem like normal nerdy people who happen to have jobs as riff based comedians.

It was about a month ago. Spoony tweeted to JesuOtaku the whole if Nash ever breaks up with you, I want to chain you up in my basement tweet. Lupa followed that up by telling him how terrible that was a thing to say.

Cut to last weekend Spoony went off on a fan and it all got a bit too much so he was spendeded.

Now it seems he has been fired. In the four year history of the site only, I think, two people have ever been fired from it. That Aussie Guy who from what I understand was fired over his behaviour at the first anniversary shoot and now Spoony.

It's been coming. You could see it in the tweets of other TGWTG folk that things had gone too far. I can not really see the site taking a huge hit on losing him. He has not been updating regularly for over a year, in the time Spoony has been on the slide NChick has been becoming brilliant.

As well as that Oancitizen has arrived, Todd, Lupa, Diamanda Hagan and Phelous have really become big. Phelous has been around for ages obviously but in the last year or two he has hit a stride. Probably one of the most legit funny Internet reviews of them even if some of his jokes are heavily reliant on watching his stuff regularly.

Like Ellis said, Spoony probably drives most of his traffic through his site. He has a crazy loyal and somewhat infamously so fan base who tend to hate anyone who isn't him.

I have checked the TGWTG forums about the suspension and the fandom seemed mostly acceptable of it. I haven't looked into it since he has been fired. Cause I just found out. I'm sure Something Awful is revelling in Spoony's downfall.

I remember when Kickassia and Suburban Knights were released, the first three days of videos were just full of comments saying 'MORE SPOONY, WHY IS THE CAMERA ON SOMEONE ELSE?!'. Ironically, the best place to watch them was Spoony's blip because he disabled comments so you didn't have to put up with that. Plus his fans all turned on Film Brain because he committed the crime of having a verbal tic.

And yes, in the last year NChick has gone from "Nostalgia Critic with bewbs" to one of my favourite reviews because you can see how much work she puts into researching her videos and Team NChick have all become far more comfortable and brilliant in their roles.

I tend to enjoy anniversary week for the cross overs and eventual Cinema Snob/Phelous commentary on the anniversary movie. Because those are hilarious.

Lindsay Ellis really puts her Masters to work doing her stuff and is entertaining while she does it. Oancitzen is a similar type. They're probably my favourites and honestly big influences on my fledgling web series.

On that note: it's a week since episode one went up and I'm going to post bloopers today with the next episode slated for next week, it's written and voice over recording is slated to start today because I was sick last night

The only difference between him and an alcoholic is a so-called fanbase.

fick+fear.jpg ?

Hey! Austin was very sociable. Look here as he gives Mr McMahon a hug:

display_image.jpg

N'awwwwwwwwwwwwww! :wub:

I honesty do not think that TGWTG producers think of themselves as GA describes. I have not seen that kind of behaviour from them on twitter or vlogs etc.

It's hard to tell just going on hearsay (not to be confused with the pop group) but I have heard stuff like them being blackballed from interviewing some in the game industry for their behaviour, and Linkara telling people to shut up as they pointed out the irony of making a shitty film funded by a business model mostly dedicated to badmouthing shitty films. I did generalise everything (like I always do :shifty: ) and I imagine it's quite hard for them to gauge proper feedback as it's either "best thing ever", "worst thing since Hitler" and no in-between.

It makes what should be a fun little hobby a bit thankless, and there lies the problem. In a case like Spoony's, it's a job. Real celebrities break down all the time because their work and personal life revolves around them and them alone, and there's no disconnect. I can't imagine there is any moment when Spoony can switch off and do something else without thinking "oh shit, this would make for a great video/tweet" as he probably doesn't do anything else than play video games and watch films (if what is said about his lack of work/social life is true). The only reason a Doug Walker still seems like a reasonable man is he has a staff behind him making sure his workload isn't overbearing.

I think I'm rambling now. I'll stop.

Well apart from to say that I do remember enjoying The Cinema Snob's work back in the day. I might check him out again to see if that's still true.

The next time I get warned for something on here, I'm gonna say I'm depressed. Apparently you're not allowed to call people on their shit if they're depressed.

In regards to them getting blackballed from games stuff, I read lots of stuff eminating from one Lordkat that basically said that Spoony was largely to blame for that after he had his little hissy fit at E3 regarding X-Com. Then LK went to some thing to do interviews and got laughed at for being part of the same group. That and I imagine people like Joe (after making himself look like an ass at the VGA's) and the whole 'angry reviewer' schtick in general isn't doing them many favours.

And I like that we've seemingly reached our apex in terms of amatuer psychology with speculation on how Spoony is acting out similar to people who have burned all their bridges with friends/family before commiting suicide, just so no one is upset when they do it. >_<

Yeah, the E3 thing was Angry Joe and Spoony. Angry Joe did some skit when TGWTG went to Washington over SOPA did a that was stupid and unprofessional. I listened to Lord Kat talking about that and how it fucked up him getting interviews at other Cons and getting Channel Awesome blackballed.

The Cinema Snob is still as good as he ever was.

I'm looking forward to the Unemployed Historian meltdown in 2017 where you threaten to chain ROC to a pipe in your basement.

Also, Spoony (or I assume one of his fans) has now gone back through 9 months of Lupa tweets in order to find ammo, found something about her whipping her cat with a hose and is now all 'Look! She says mean shit too!'. Just...*sigh*

I'm looking forward to the Unemployed Historian meltdown in 2017 where you threaten to chain ROC to a pipe in your basement.

Threaten? ROC is totally willing to let me do that.

Poor Lupa. She's getting all of the hate for things Spoony has done and getting misogynist trollings on tumblr and twitter. :(

They tell him to cut his hair? :shifty:

Not sure if him getting suspended from there is a big deal anyway caus what exactly does it mean? They wont post his content on there for that period of time? It's not like he has any anyway unless he gets productive all of a sudden and posts anything other than his Ultima IX part 2.

But this is the perfect time for me to catch up on Something Awful's version of this thread in which everyone plays amatuer psychiatrist worse than Quom and lists Spoony and his problems in great detail!

Oh god, they have a dedicated Spoony topic now just to discuss his antics! :lol:

Oi, go fuck a donkey.

Actually you touched a nerve, where have I done this, except with the caveat of 'I just made that up' if you mean in the relationship threads, I have a degree in family therapy (from a proper university) which is based around interpersonal relationships. Lots of psychologists train up in family therapy as they don't know how to treat more than one or two members of a group at the same time (since psychology focusses on the individual or a single point of view 99% of the time). Family therapy also has the same 'success' rate as psychology and isn't seen in the field as 'lesser'. So when I speak or read an individual's account of something I automatically think of it from all sides rather than just of the individual who is presenting it. I also have the same grounding as a person who has a bachelor's in psych (actually since I am a year off a Master's I would be ranked higher).

I also abhor pathologising, beyond the mention of 'depressed', 'anxious', or similar types of words I think of the issue at hand, rather than trying to think of the person as being the issue. I might say that someone sounds controlling, which is vastly different to stating I believe the person has a narcissistic personality with shades of intermittent explosive disorder or the like. About the only diagnosis I feel comfortable making is one of trauma (which isn't in DSM-IV and won't be in V either) especially over the internet and that's only because I spent three years working with traumatised people and had the non-stop training to make me able to spot them and help them deal with their trauma. Plus it's an easy diagnosis to make. If you have been beaten, raped, abused, neglected etc. then you have been traumatised and will have ongoing issues.

He pretty much is, he had a rape based explosion on Reddit a while ago:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/02/08/the-not-so-amazing-atheist-self-immolates/

He was also once on TGWTG as The Distressed Watcher but left. I think he said it was because the guy who supported him there left and he wasn't being promoted enough. But they were quite wise to get rid of him. He is rather vile.

So...huh. Yeah. Like I said in the secret place, I only watched one Spoony video and hated it so I never went back. I'm glad.

Who is doing good things on TGWTG? Right now I like NChick, Todd, and sometimes Rap Critic. But, I'm mostly looking for someone like NChick, who takes a deeper look into the movies and cultural trends as opposed to just crackin' wise about it. Any suggestions?