Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

It was a huge shock when United went out, and I'm sure it would be similar when Chelsea go out. Obviously it's no crisis, but I'd say all the English teams are definitely expected to get out of the group stages these days. Have the reigning champions ever gone out at the group stage the following year?

That said, I hope Chelsea don't go out. Always wanna see English teams up there. Well, as long as it doesn't mean they knock Spurs out of a CL spot :shifty:

Have the reigning champions ever gone out at the group stage the following year?

No.

That would be a nice stat to follow us around then. :shifty:

Being in the Europa League would be amusing on one level though: we get to reminisce about the years when we used to crash out of it immediately to increasingly-crap opponents (Hapoel Tel Aviv! St Gallen! Viking Stavanger!).

Have the reigning champions ever gone out at the group stage the following year?

No.

That would be a nice stat to follow us around then. :shifty:

Being in the Europa League would be amusing on one level though: we get to reminisce about the years when we used to crash out of it immediately to increasingly-crap opponents (Hapoel Tel Aviv! St Gallen! Viking Stavanger!).

These days English clubs mostly go out to Portuguese clubs in the Europa League!

Rumours of Sturridge to Liverpool in January gathering pace. Unlike last summer I can actually see this happening - whether Chelsea then turn around and immediately spend the same amount of money on someone like Loic Remy...or play for 'Ridiculous January Splurge II: The Re-Facepalmaning' and try to nab Falcao.

Of course, either way we still end up with only two strikers. Don't think Lukaku will be recalled early to add to the ranks either.

...And I put this here because it is surely, SURELY too soon to start up the January transfer window thread yet. :shifty:

I kind of want an attack of Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez to happen, because not only does the 3 S thing sound pretty cool, but they're all incredibly selfish and/or arrogant players who would barely ever pass the ball to each other - though that's unfair on Sterling because his final ball has got a lot better in the past few weeks. I'd rather we got Walcott, but that's clearly not happening.

Also, I don't like Chelsea but whereas I always want Man Utd to fail in the Champions League because the durrr English thing doesn't do it for me when we're talking about a team I want to lose every other week of the year, I generally want Chelsea to do well in Europe. But this year I'm torn because a) I like Juve and Shakhtar very much b) Chelsea won it just last year and c) I wouldn't mind seeing Di Matteo get the sack because of excitement and all that.

Yeah, I've really cooled on Studge lately. I think he's very selfish and obviously not as good as he fancies himself to be. He's young, so he can and still will improve, but I don't think Chelsea would be making a big mistake in selling him and getting a decent fee. How much do you recon he'd go for, Stok?