European Football Thread

IAceI

1 hour ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

Having good commentators would really help me. The American broadcast on FS1 features two guys who sound a combination of disinterested and boring to listen to. It's dreadful. I miss hearing Arlo White

I think now it's even more important for really enthusiastic commentators. You can get by when the crowd atmosphere allows them to be a little drab but in the absolute silence of the stadium today it really stuck out that they were emotionless.

Enjoyed watching the Dortmund game today. Wouldn't normally watch most football these days unless it involves Liverpool due to time. Whereas when I was at my mum's I'd watch whatever footy was on. 

Schalke keeper was abysmal today!

Also my crap run of betting resumed after a Covid-19 relate hiatus with Werner and Leipzig letting me down :(

23 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Enjoyed watching the Dortmund game today. Wouldn't normally watch most football these days unless it involves Liverpool due to time. Whereas when I was at my mum's I'd watch whatever footy was on. 

Schalke keeper was abysmal today!

Also my crap run of betting resumed after a Covid-19 relate hiatus with Werner and Leipzig letting me down :(

Timo is a fraud.

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

Athletic Bilbao legend Aritz Aduriz has announced his retirement. He was due to call it a day at the end of the season following the Copa del Rey final, but he requires hip replacement surgery.

Crap way to go out on missing the chance to end it on a high note and shame he needs a hip replacement in his thirties as well!

Yeah, they have a really large income base. I've always found that quite curious, given that they are from a city that is not particularly large and very unfashionable. I mean, there are a lot of medium-sized unfashionable cities in NRW. Why was it Dortmund and Schalke (and Gladbach) that had the best teams? The German league has quite a few of these anomalies, come to think of it. Mönchengladbach and Wolfsburg are similarly smallish and unfashionable but have been around and on top, although Wolfsburg are presumably helped along through being owned by VW.

Edited by metalman

1 hour ago, metalman said:

Yeah, they have a really large income base. I've always found that quite curious, given that they are from a city that is not particularly large and very unfashionable. I mean, there are a lot of medium-sized unfashionable cities in NRW. Why was it Dortmund and Schalke (and Gladbach) that had the best teams? The German league has quite a few of these anomalies, come to think of it. Mönchengladbach and Wolfsburg are similarly smallish and unfashionable but have been around and on top, although Wolfsburg are presumably helped along through being owned by VW.

Meanwhile Berlin has not had a world-class club ever if I recall. Quite odd. I guess it's similar to a London club never winning the Champions League/European Cup until 2012. Though there's almost always been at least one London club competing for domestic trophies for most of the FA's history.

Yeah. I remember some economist theorised that the relative struggles faced by clubs from capital cities (Rome, Paris, London, Berlin, Edinburgh) in the 20th century might be explained by these cities being comparatively less industrialised than the likes of Milan, Turin, Marseille, Manchester, Liverpool, Munich, Dortmund, Glasgow etc and thus having less of the kind of population that would set up and support football teams.

Meanwhile, he explained the strengths of teams from Madrid and Lisbon by their support from fascist regimes and their tendency to centralise power in the capital city.

And now, with the globalisation of football cities like Paris and London are coming to the fore because of their greater appeal to a global audience.

Or something like that...

44 minutes ago, metalman said:

Yeah. I remember some economist theorised that the relative struggles faced by clubs from capital cities (Rome, Paris, London, Berlin, Edinburgh) in the 20th century might be explained by these cities being comparatively less industrialised than the likes of Milan, Turin, Marseille, Manchester, Liverpool, Munich, Dortmund, Glasgow etc and thus having less of the kind of population that would set up and support football teams.

Meanwhile, he explained the strengths of teams from Madrid and Lisbon by their support from fascist regimes and their tendency to centralise power in the capital city.

And now, with the globalisation of football cities like Paris and London are coming to the fore because of their greater appeal to a global audience.

Or something like that...

That makes a fair amount of sense. Especially with regards to a global audience. I think a lot of international fans are more geared towards supporting a club named after a city or that plays in a city whose name they recognize. And then you can build that brand by European success. I don't have the numbers but from simple observation the most supported clubs globally are the ones that have dominated in Europe this century (Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Man Utd primarily). At least for Barcelona and Real Madrid everyone knows their cities. Manchester isn't a major tourist destination but at least in the US we tend to have a decent knowledge of most places in the UK.

PSG are doing a good job of the globalistion aspect. Signing Neymar, releasing Jordan gear and redesigning their badge so it has a massive Paris on it were all to this end. Only problem with them is that I don't think Ligue 1 will ever be popular enough worldwide.

West Ham also tried this by sticking London on their crest for no reason.