European Football Thread

IAceI

Guest Owned by Quickquid

TV coverage of European football in Canada is quite weird this year, at least until more deals are signed.

One or two Prem, Europa League and Champions League games are available each matchday on easily available channels, but new this year is being able to get all matches from those competitions live (all 3:00 Prem starts live!) for $20/month. Also gets you an SPL game of the week.

Bundesliga's available on the same network it was last year too, but Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Championship are all off TV (barring one Serie A game in Italian and one L1 game in French) for now.

A lot of chanting last night at Mallorca at the RFEF about the ridiculously late kick off time. They managed to beat Espanyol 2-1 though. At the moment Real Madrid and Valencia are 1-1 and it's half time, Casillas and Pepe had a nasty clash on the Valencia goal and it looks like Casillas may not be fully recovered so wouldn't be surprised to see him not to come back out for the second half. Athletic are currently 3-0 down at home against Real Betis, no Llorente or Martinez as well as two other regular defenders missing. Villanova takes charge of his first Barcelona match as manager at 8 against Real Sociedad.

In Belgium Standard won the Wallonia derby 6-2. Ran away with it when Charleroi went down to 10 men.

Rennes continue to be rubbish in France, losing to Bordeaux. PSG travel to Ajaccio at 8 and it's on ESPN for anyone who wants to watch.

Edited by IAceI

I considered betting on Real Madrid too but decided against it for now. They'll no doubt kick into gear quickly, and Valencia are as tough an opponent as they're going to face outside of the Clasicos so a draw isn't terrible. Seemed a very slow and pedestrian game from what I saw.

Barcelona just battering Real Sociedad here, as expected. Messi, as said, with two already so looks like he's set to notch another massive total this season as well. And a winning start in store for Villanova you'd assume.

• Admin
An Italian football tribunal confirms a 10-month ban for Juventus coach Antonio Conte, rejecting his appeal against a verdict handed down earlier this month.

Conte, who led an undefeated Juventus to the Italian title in his first season in charge last term, was accused of failing to report incidents of match-fixing in two games in the 2010-11 season when he was the coach of then Serie B side Siena.

El Classico part one tonight, first leg of the Super Copa at Barcelona. I know a lot of people get sick of the sheer amount of these matches, and the pettiness that comes with them - but we get to see some of the best players in the world which is always a plus - and these two don't treat this cup as an afterthought which means it's always a pretty decent match.

Of course, Europa League to contend with first. :)

Match hasn't gone particularly well. Too cloggy, too much diving and just all around not a great match. Real Madrid look content for the 0-0. Barca lack the sharpness just now to find the penetration.

EDIT: Jinxed it didn't I. Real Madrid go 1-0 up.

SECOND EDIT: Hello! There we are. 1-1 immediately, Pedro.

Edited by IAceI

Ridiculous from Ramos to be sliding in there. Think the referee was hesitant at first, saw it was Iniesta and figured it would probably be legit. Would have been interesting to see if it had been Alexis had he made the same decision as he's gone down soft in pretty much that same area of the box twice already and been remanded for diving.

Come on Barca, 1 more and I'll have some money. Glad the second half has been worthwhile though. Was a little disappointed with the first half, was pretty poor by all accounts.

Come on Barca, 1 more and I'll have some money. Glad the second half has been worthwhile though. Was a little disappointed with the first half, was pretty poor by all accounts.

Ta lads. Just hold it now. :)

Did anyone see Bambi on ice out there in the Camp Nou just then because that was some slip.. :)

The 50th Bundesliga is under way now at Signal Iduna Park. Marco Reus marks his league debut for Dortmund with an early goal against Werder Bremen. No Akpala in the squad for Bremen, recently signed from Club Brugge. Kevin De Bruyne, on loan from Chelsea, is also playing for Bremen.

Didn't see the goal, just got in but I'm hoping for more.