European Football Thread

IAceI

• Admin

Claudio Ranieri is back in football after the French league waived their age rules and gave Nantes permission to appoint the 65-year-old. The former Leicester manager, who was sacked less than a season after leading them to a Premier League title, is believed to have signed a two-year deal after the Ligue de Football Professionnel gave special dispensation for the club to appoint a manager over the age of 65. Rules set by LFP, operating under the French Football Federation, dictate that coaches aged 65 or over cannot be employed by league clubs. However, after the club appealed, the LFP released a statement which read: “The LFP’s legal commission have decided to authorise the signing of a professional contract between Monsieur Ranieri and Nantes.”

Roma have appointed former Sassuolo boss Eusebio Di Francesco as their new head coach.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Ajax’s pre-season friendly against Werder Bremen was abandoned after Abdelhak Nouri required emergency treatment from paramedics on the field.

The midfielder, aged 20, collapsed with around 20 minutes remaining in the game in Zillertal, Austria and there was immediate concern for his condition. An ambulance and helicopter were called on to the pitch while the ground was cleared, though Nouri was eventually airlifted to hospital in what Ajax described as a “stable” condition.

A series of tweets from Ajax’s official account read: “Alarm on and around the field. There is something going on with Abdelhak Nouri. But it’s not clear what. An ambulance is coming on to the field. It looks serious, we hope soon for more info on Abdelhak Nouri. Emergency services are still with Nouri, players look worried. It is serious, we will let you know immediately if there is more clarity. Meanwhile a trauma helicopter landed on the field. People are asked to leave the stadium.”

The final update late on Saturday evening said Nouri was in intensive care but “out of danger”.

Nouri reportedly received CPR on the field before leaving in the helicopter. Around 15 minutes after the news first broke, Ajax tweeted: “Update | Nouri had heart arrhythmias. He is stable, has a heartbeat and is asleep. He is going in the helicopter to hospital. Thanks so much for all your support.”

Nouri made 15 appearances for Ajax’s first team last season, including three in the Europa League, and scored on his senior debut in a 5-0 win over Willem II in the KNVB-Beker.

4 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Ajax kid has "serious and permanent brain damage". :(

Yeah, sounds like it is really severe. How do they miss these things in the medicals or was it a really hidden thing?

3 hours ago, Cymbols said:

No idea. You'd like to think somewhere like Ajax would be thorough, and this was either a freak thing, or something undetectable. But I don't know, I'm no expert.

It's so sad though.

So, so sad. I saw the clip of him going down injured and it didn't really look like anything. It looked liked he just had a serious stitch or was winded or something. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40843317

And this is where the VAR system comes into question. 

Feyenoord 1-0 up, Vitesse player fouled but no pen given, Feyenoord then break away, score a 2nd, ref uses VAR to look back at the original decision, awards a pen and chalks off Feyenoord's 2nd goal. They drew the game 1-1 but won on pens afterwards.

They can't allow play to continue for any length of time before checking the VAR, I don't think. The ref should either award the penalty, or signal for VAR immediately if he isn't sure.

• Like 1

I think that's a great use.

If it isn't a penalty Feyenoord get a second goal, if it is then Vitesse get a penalty. It keeps play open and fair for both teams. It might sting Feyenoord a bit but people will become used to decisions like that the more its used.

And if the ball doesn't go out for five minutes? It's nonsensical, it should only be used for overturning decisions, not making them when they've been missed. How was this one worked out, had the ref been thinking "maybe" for the whole counter attack?

No, I agree with Baddar that it should only be used if the ball is dead or the referee can stop play immediately. So far this VAR appears to be far too subjective in when it's implemented and such, video technology should be used to fix errors that can be decisively proven at the time. It's a bit of a mess if you ask me.

26 minutes ago, Rooney! said:

No, I agree with Baddar that it should only be used if the ball is dead or the referee can stop play immediately. So far this VAR appears to be far too subjective in when it's implemented and such, video technology should be used to fix errors that can be decisively proven at the time. It's a bit of a mess if you ask me.

I just don't see how the ref can't make the decision on the spot to use the VAR. If he's unsure, use it. Don't wait a few minutes and then say "actually, the way the fans are on my back here, that might have been a pen, better check" - it's silly.

• Like 2

Just now, Baddar said:

I just don't see how the ref can't make the decision on the spot to use the VAR. If he's unsure, use it. Don't wait a few minutes and then say "actually, the way the fans are on my back here, that might have been a pen, better check" - it's silly.

Totally agree, they should just institute it where the referee can stop play, immediately signal for the VAR and if it is proven, yep penalty. If not, drop ball. Quite simple, can be done quickly enough and not have all this dithering and confusion wrecking matches like it has in its use so far.

Shouldn't the ref then have the balls to be like I'm a bit unsure on this let's stop play right after the incident? Cause if it's a pen then great if not you've stopped it in their box can easily just give the ball  back to the keeper or something.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colly said:

But in this case if that had happened and it wasn't a pen then you've essentially deprived Feyenoord a goal while the ref 'makes sure'. The whole thing is a ruddy can of worms.

Teams can counter fast, but I'm sure if the ref had made his mind up on the spot, he wouldn't have been depriving Feyenoord of anything. I know what you're saying, and it would be annoying if your team were about to break away and then the ref goes to VAR, but that's what it's there for. I know I'd much rather an attack get stopped than celebrating a goal only for it not to stand a few minutes later.

19 minutes ago, Titi Camara said:

Shouldn't the ref then have the balls to be like I'm a bit unsure on this let's stop play right after the incident? Cause if it's a pen then great if not you've stopped it in their box can easily just the ball go back to the keeper or something.  

And that's essentially my point. If you're sure it's no pen, play on, if not, blow the whistle to stop play and take it to VAR.