European Football Thread

IAceI

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

The France forward Kylian Mbappé has won the Golden Boy award for the best young player in Europe, fending off competition from Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembélé and Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford.

The 18-year-old came to prominence last season, scoring six Champions League goals to propel Monaco to the semi-finals while playing a huge part in the club’s title-winning Ligue 1 season, scoring 15 goals from an often wide berth. Mbappé is on loan at PSG, where he has scored four goals and made four assists in 11 games. He will make the move permanent in a £166m transfer next summer.

Mbappé won by an overwhelming 291 votes, with Dembélé coming second on 149. Manchester United’s Rashford was third and Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus fourth.

The award, run by Tuttosport, is in its 15th year and winners have included Wayne Rooney, Mario Balotelli, Raheem Sterling and Anthony Martial.

Golden Boy top 10
1 Kylian Mbappé (PSG, on loan from Monaco)

2 Ousmane Dembélé (Barcelona)

3 Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

4 Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City)

5 Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan)

6 Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund)

7 Kasper Dolberg (Ajax)

8 Emre Mor (Celta Vigo)

9 Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina)

10 Rodrigo Bentancur (Juventus)

• Admin

The Italian football federation (FICG) has said a passage from Anne Frank’s diary will be read before matches this week in response to acts of antisemitism by Lazio fans and to keep alive memories of the Holocaust.

The FIGC also says a minute of silence will be observed before Serie A, B and C matches this week, plus amateur and youth games over the weekend.

During Sunday’s league game against Cagliari Lazio fans defaced their Stadio Olimpico home in Rome with antisemitic graffiti and stickers showing images of Frank, the young diarist who died in the Holocaust, wearing a jersey of their city rivals Roma.

An image of Frank will be put on Lazio’s shirts for Wednesday’s game at Bologna, the club said, to demonstrate their fight against “all forms of racism and antisemitism”.

Lazio’s president, Claudio Lotito, has visited Rome’s main synagogue and promised a new antisemitism education campaign. Lotito said the club would be intensifying their efforts to combat racism and antisemitism and announced Lazio would organise an annual trip to the Auschwitz concentration camp with 200 young fans to “educate them not to forget”.

Lazio fans have a history of racist and antisemitic behaviour, including a Lazio banner in the city derby nearly 20 years ago aimed at Roma supporters that read: “Auschwitz Is Your Homeland; The Ovens Are Your Homes.”

The head of the European Parliament has also denounced Lazio fans’ behaviour. Antonio Tajani, who is also Italian, told the European Parliament in Strasbourg that “using the image of Anne Frank as an insult against others is a very grave matter”.

The Italian prime minister, Paolo Gentiloni, said the stickers were “unbelievable, unacceptable and to not be minimised”.

The Anne Frank diary passage reads: “I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquillity will return once more.”

A statement on Lazio’s website outlined the plans to place Frank’s image on the club’s shirts.

“The president of SS Lazio, Claudio Lotito, has decided that tomorrow the team will be coming to the stadium at Renato Dall’Ara Stadium in Bologna with an image of Anne Frank on the Biancoceleste shirt, demonstrating the club’s commitment to fighting all forms of racism and anti-Semitism,” it said.

Lotito announced the Auschwitz trip initiative in comments reported by Gazzetta dello Sport: “Today, I can officially announce that Lazio will partake in a new initiative, organising an annual trip to Auschwitz for 200 Lazio fans to educate and make sure we don’t forget certain episodes, so that these lads can know what it is we’re talking about.

“You can’t play around with these facts, we condemn all forms of racism. Lazio will launch this initiative.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MadJack said:

Dortmund were 4-0 up against Schalke at half time in the Revierderby. Naldo has equalised in the 94th minute, 4-4!

That game cost me a bet....i had Schalke to win having seen Dortmund's form and having conceded like 2/3+ in a few games this season. Rather Schalke have lost then do that to me.