Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

So, there's a lot of talk about other Marvel properties getting their own films, so I figured instead of putting out a bunch of new topics, we could talk about developments in here and then maybe start topics for them when they're closer to happening.

Biggest news lately is that Gaurdians of the Galaxy could be getting the big screen treatment.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92081

I'm a huge fan of the Marvel Cosmic stuff, even though I've only just finished War of the Kings. But fuck, it's going to take some serious advertising to get anyone to care about this film. Even more regular comic readers don't seem to care about the Marvel Cosmic stuff. (I was pretty heartbroken to find out that Nova's series was cancelled. I really started to love the character when I started reading Annihilation.)

Apparently this is how Thanos will work into the Avengers, through introduction of some kind in Gaurdians of the Galaxy. (Which would make a lot of sense if they're including Drax).

But yeah, if this happens and they find a way to make it work, fuck, I hope they work Rocket Raccoon and Groot into it. Because man. I am Groot! I also wouldn't be surprised to see Nova and some of the other major players in the Marvel Cosmic world get an introduction in this, maybe the Shi'ar, Gladiator, The Kree (Ronan The Accuser) and possibly even the Skrulls?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any update on the Dr. Strange film that was in some form of development? I'd love to see that and when Marvel were on about some more magic aspects on the universe, I thought they were suggesting Strange, but could also make sense with GotG.

Strange seems to have gone the way of Black Panther, it's still brought up whenever anyone asks about future Marvel franchises, but it's been silent on the "anything actually happening" front. Ant Man is a lot closer to being made lately than Black Panther.

Black Widow seems to be close to getting her own film too, which would be nice to see. Though if they're doing a Marvel heroine, I'd rather Ms. Marvel get the big screen adaption and maybe added to the Avengers roster.

Is Ant Man still set to be written by (Adam and) Joe Cornish? Sounds amazing frankly.

Had a glance at the comments from that link and love the guy who boots off about how people shouldn't be lazy and read the comics, completely missing the point of what he's just read.

Is Ant Man still set to be written by (Adam and) Joe Cornish? Sounds amazing frankly.

Had a glance at the comments from that link and love the guy who boots off about how people shouldn't be lazy and read the comics, completely missing the point of what he's just read.

It's being written by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish I think. Edgar Wright is famous for Scott Pilgrim and Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz, so I've got high hopes for it. My only concern is that fuck, if Guardians of the Galaxy is a hard sell to the average viewer, I have no idea how they think Ant Man will go down. Wright apparently also directed some test footage of it, though what's in the footage no one knows. Sounds like it could be close to becoming a thing though!

There's expected to be a few announcements from Marvel at Comic-Con about some of their future titles.

Also fun fact: apparently the scientist in Thor that Dr. Selvig refers to as having had dealings with Shield was originally Hank Pym, but for whatever reason they cut out his name being referenced.

I suppose it'll be interesting to see if it'll end up being something that would easily sit alongside the rest of the current Marvel movie-verse, because Edgar Wrights style would suggest not really. Might seem a bit jarring when the trailer says 'From the director of Scott Pilgrim, and the studio that brought you Iron Man etc', but possibly marketable enough?

I suppose it'll be interesting to see if it'll end up being something that would easily sit alongside the rest of the current Marvel movie-verse, because Edgar Wrights style would suggest not really. Might seem a bit jarring when the trailer says 'From the director of Scott Pilgrim, and the studio that brought you Iron Man etc', but possibly marketable enough?

That's pretty much been my thoughts on it since I heard about Wright. Cool, but I'm not really sure he style meshes so well with what they've already put out. I mean he's got the bright lights and cool effects down, but his editing is just so different from anything anyone else does. Honestly I don't think it'll end up sitting alongside the rest of the Marvel Movie-Verse in the same way Thor or Iron Man does, probably more of a separate story that exists in that universe. I definitely don't expect to see him pop up in the next Avengers or anything, but I'm sure there'll be in jokes about "Where's Iron Man when you need him?" and so on. Unless Ant Man is Pym and he becomes Giant Man at some point or something.

And honestly, is Scott Pilgrim really marketable? I know it's gained a huge cult following and most people loved it, but didn't it bomb at the box office? Or at the very least not do so great?

And honestly, is Scott Pilgrim really marketable? I know it's gained a huge cult following and most people loved it, but didn't it bomb at the box office? Or at the very least not do so great?

It underperformed, but that doesn't matter. Joss Whedon's track record at the box office isn't exactly great pre-Avengers either. Marvel really seems focused on strength of vision with their directors and not box office track record.

I was reading that Ant Man isn't supposed to lead Ant Man into the next Avengers film. Which is odd because he was alluded to in Thor. It's supposed to be an origins story - ending with... NOT Pym as Ant Man.

And I love me some Pym. :(

I've read many many many things on Ant Man and have never once heard this said by anyone.

Also Nova might be in the GotG movie, but it won't be the Nova you know and love if you read the Marvel Cosmic books. Sorry.

Edgar Wright plans to direct an action film for Marvel Studios with some humorous elements, insisting that Ant-Man will not be a comedy like Fantastic Four or a spoof.[12] The script has been written by Wright and Joe Cornish, who plan to include Henry Pym and Scott Lang as major characters, with Pym as Ant-Man in the 1960s in Tales to Astonish style, and a flashforward to Lang as Ant-Man's successor in modern day.

Referenced to off Wikipedia - although it also states that rewrites have been done multiple times since then, but it doesn't mention anything about changing the storyline. The Avengers part I must've read somewhere else. Oh well, I'm not getting too upset about anything really - can't wait for news.

I was reading that Ant Man isn't supposed to lead Ant Man into the next Avengers film. Which is odd because he was alluded to in Thor. It's supposed to be an origins story - ending with... NOT Pym as Ant Man.

I've read many many many things on Ant Man and have never once heard this said by anyone.

Also Nova might be in the GotG movie, but it won't be the Nova you know and love if you read the Marvel Cosmic books. Sorry.

What Nova would it be? :(

I would kill for something Power Man/Iron Fist related. Could be a movie/tv show/cartoon series/animated move. I dont care but I want it to happen in some form!

Heroes for Hire, with a bunch of other characters complimenting Cage/Fist, would also be acceptable.

What Nova would it be? :(

His name is Sam and it is a version of the character that is first seen in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.