Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how much this one actually makes/costs them. Way too early to say they won't make their money back from it. The bad reviews don't help but it's not a death sentence financially, either. 

They'll get the rights back because there's no way the studio will greenlight another one before the rights expire.

It depends on how much this one actually makes/costs them. Way too early to say they won't make their money back from it. The bad reviews don't help but it's not a death sentence financially, either. 

There's already a sequel scheduled, isn't there?

Scheduled when they were optimistic.  They should just burn all the money they would spend on a sequel and charge people to watch, would give them a better shot at breaking even.

j5TOiuN.jpg

A now deleted tweet from Josh Trank about Fantastic Four

From an interview with Kate Mara.

"I’ve never been a fan of comics, I’ve never actually read one. I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn’t necessary. Well, actually he told us that we shouldn’t do it because the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published. So I chose to follow his instructions."

Mmm, yeah, Trank is a fucking moron. From what I can gather, the changes they've made were basically to salvage the piece of shit he'd made of it. Between this and the Star Wars issues, the guy seems like an absolute delusional artist.

For what it's worth, I'm actually hearing the opposite. The stuff that works (first half) is Trank's and the stuff that doesn't (second half) is Fox's meddling. And predictably, the two don't mesh well. Fox also changed a significant amount of the story right before they started shooting so it didn't seem like they had a firm grasp on the direction they wanted to go with it from the start. 

I'm not necessarily sure that means we would have gotten a better movie but it does paint a different picture than just "wow Trank fucked up". Seems like Fox wasn't sure of what they had and got scared so they started meddling and the movie was not better off for it. 

And if that's the experience he had with something like Fantastic Four, I can't imagine that would endear him to working on something as big as Star Wars (and with a company like Disney that's notorious for oversight). 

I'm sorry, I hadn't realized you were on set. :rolleyes:

All I can go by is him backing out of it himself and Disney saying as much. The gossip could very well be true but if the Fox meddling stuff is true then it supports him not wanting to direct a major feature film for a major studio. 

They should've just done a Deadpool and record the stuff they wanted to record, build a trailer from it, then have it ''leak'' onto the internet. If the fans cried out that it was great, they would've had a lot more leverage against FOX meddling in their shit.

Didn't the film rights owner make a really shitty/cheap unreleased Fantastic Four movie in the 90s that  just to keep the rights? 

Yeah, whoever had the rights at the time hired Roger Corman  to make a Fantastic Four movie in 1994 and, if I remember correctly, he and everybody else who worked in it did so with the assumption it would be released. However, they only had to make the movie, they didn't have to release it to keep the rights and it ended up never being released.

Here's the trailer that somehow ended up on the net:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

EDIT: Holy crap, just found out the movie is available on the net. I'm actually tempted to watch THIS instead of the new one.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat
  • Like 1

So it's early still but how is the opening weekend looking for F4? I saw a couple of reports of the thursday takings before I went to bed last night and 2 different articles took the exact same total and put a different spin on it.

One was fairly negative and saying that it's a disaster in the making and the other article was trying to be positive and suggesting it's doing nowhere near as badly as people predicted and should still do alright at the box office.

Man those comments in that variety article are extremely infuriating. People blaming MBJ playing a black Johnny Storm on why the film is bad. When a lot of the reviews actually say that Jordan's performance as Torch was actually one of the highlights and the standout as one of the more ''human'' characters on the film.

In fact I am kinda confused why FOX went with Sue Storm being adopted rather than just have two black characters in the film. I don't want to let out my reverse bigot, but I guess it's more because FOX wants that blonde-bombeshell trope in their summer blockbuster, and would probably not be cool replacing that with a well cast woman of colour.
But I can look past it, from what i've heard from the film is that the chemistry was non-existent anyways and the entire film is a jumbled mess, I don't think one different casting choice would've made it less of a turd.

I've said it before, it's just a real shame that FOX are essentially sabotaging themselves in an attempt to stiff it to Marvel rather than just concede that they simply can't produce a good F4 film and let go of the rights back to Marvel. Of course FOX would no doubt know that if Marvel got their hands on the rights, they'd turn it into yet another great summer film in 4-5 years when people have forgotten about Fant4stic.

At this point I wonder if anyone could take a film built around the Fantastic Four serious anymore. No matter who produces it... Then again, same was said about Batman before Nolan/Bale took their swing at it and became part of the Superhero-film revival.

Didn't the film rights owner make a really shitty/cheap unreleased Fantastic Four movie in the 90s that  just to keep the rights? 

Yeah, whoever had the rights at the time hired Roger Corman  to make a Fantastic Four movie in 1994 and, if I remember correctly, he and everybody else who worked in it did so with the assumption it would be released. However, they only had to make the movie, they didn't have to release it to keep the rights and it ended up never being released.

EDIT: Holy crap, just found out the movie is available on the net. I'm actually tempted to watch THIS instead of the new one.

You're just now finding it?  Its been in rotation at comic conventions for a decade now.  Watched it in 2004.  They also made a documentary about it last year.

And here's the film

Edited by Maxx

You're just now finding it?  Its been in rotation at comic conventions for a decade now.  Watched it in 2004.  They also made a documentary about it last year.

And here's the film

Yeah, I had always read it never had been released, but before now I never was that curious about it, and I happened to find it by chance. I'll give it a go eventually, the trailer interested me far more than any of the new ones.