Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I honestly can't wait for tomorrow. Since I work at a movie theatre, we get to screen it tomorrow night. So much hype behind this and it's also the first post-Avengers movie I haven't gotten myself spoiled on. It's gonna be awesome.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With renewal still up in the air at CBS, talk of Supergirl moving to The CW is heating up. As happened with Constantine, the hefty license fees the network has been paying to Warner Bros. Television is at issue, according to a new report at TheWrap. A similar report appeared at revered industry trade Variety last week, albeit with a lot less in the way of specific details. Back in March, CBS President Les Moonves said that the network was so happy with its freshman crop of shows this season that the plan was to renew all of them. Shortly thereafter, CBS renewed 11 shows -- but none of those new shows were on the list. Supergirl, being the most expensive of the new shows and one that shed about half of its audience in the advertiser-friendly 18-35 demographic over the course of last season, has been watched closely by industry insiders who suspect that if there's a CBS rookie with a target on its back, it might be Supergirl. Instead, the report insists that CBS is trying to get a reduced license fee so that they can make a second season happen. Meanwhile, there's two weeks left to do it before both CBS and The CW have their upfront presentations and lock in their fall schedules on May 18 and 19, respectively. Fans have long clamored to bring Supergirl "home" to The CW, where the series could be more thoroughly integrated into the Arrowverse. With Arrow, The Flash, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow filming on the CW's Vancouver lot, it sounds good to the uninitiated, but in reality it would likely mean a reduced production budget, a move to Vancouver, and the potential loss of some of the show's Los Angeles perks. Even if Calista Flockhart were willing, for instance, to make the move to Vancouver, it seems likely National City would have to get a face lift.

Went to see Civil War in the cinemas tonight... It was pretty decent guys... :shifty:

Holy shit that film was so fucking good you guys!

For a film that was nearly 2 and a half hours long, it really just flew by as if it was an ordinary feature film. And it was just chock-full of awesome one-liners and generally cool moments from start to finish.

The start of the film was strong as always, really great tone-setter for the rest of it all. I also like that Tony just looks battered after all the shit he's gone through, without the arc-reactor to keep him going. Throughout the film Tony just looked tired and jaded, which only made his position as the pseudo-antagonist all the better.

T'Challa/Black Panther was made a huge deal from the start, and despite him being such an unknown for many moviegoers, he just looked great from the moment he appeared to his crowning moments of badass when he was fighting Steve and Co.
Same goes for Spidey, kid just wouldn't shut the hell up and he had so many awesome one-liners that I can barely recall all of them, he's just a machine gun of remarks and references, and again it's great to see the rest of the cast play off of him. Also really enjoyed the 'twist' of Aunt May being played by Marisa Tomei, and them going to every length to make it funny and amusing.

I felt Hawkeye looked as good as he ever looked, and for a retired guy he sure got a lot of new toys to mess around with. I felt he came away looking a lot 'stronger' than he looked in the Avengers flicks, mostly because they let him go toe to toe with guys like Panther and whatnot. So he's no longer just the 'stand back and plink arrows at people' guy.

Same goes with Falcon really, he looked pretty good in TWS, but this one really solidified him as a heavyweight character who is more than just flying and plinking. Also his banter with Bucky was top shelf amusement.

The only one I really felt was kinda 'there' was Vision, like in Ultron I didn't really feel connected to the character. I know him getting distracted by Wanda is plot development, but I just felt the whole Vision/Wanda budding romance thing didn't really work well with the rest of the film. And as a result I felt a disconnect throughout the film. Of course, a small blemish in a huge film with practically only great points...

Finally, I loved the ending sequence and I loved they defied my expectations of 'kiss and make up to kick the bad guys ass' with Siberia and Zemo. Zemo not wanting to take over the world, but rather split the Avengers in half was a nice one. And I loved they actually went through with it in the end, in a strong and believable way when Tony found out that Bucky killed his parents mother. Great lasting finish, and again Marvel has the guts to take huge risks where others don't (*Cough* BvS *cough*)

So many more things to talk about, two Avengers groups, and both of them right on their own respective merits. I felt TWS was a hard one to top, and they did so in CW and then some.

Can't wait for the next film!

Edit: How could I have forgotten to talk about Scott Lang, Paul Rudd is a god-damn treasure!

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

It makes Batman V Superman look even worse by comparison, holy shit.

I can't even believe it. They did practically everything that movie was trying to accomplish and did it better. Right down to...

Spoiler

The villain being an unpowered man whose plan basically involves blowing up a major diplomatic meeting and manipulating the heroes against each other. And his plan wasn't even fucking stupid!

Tom Holland is so fucking good, too. He combines the basic look and sound of Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker with the "what if Peter Parker were a nerdy kid in Queens in the 2010s instead of the '60s" attitude of Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker.

Question for anyone who's paying a little closer attention to the internet...

Spoiler

Has anyone posted a picture of that map that Thunderbolt Ross shows with all the sites where there was collateral damage from superpowered clashes? I want to see if I can remember them all. Off the top of my head there should have also been ones for London (Thor 2), South Africa (Age of Ultron), Monaco (Iron Man 2), San Francisco (Ant-Man), and wherever that final battle in Iron Man 3 took place, but I'd love if it there was some deep-dive shit from Agents of SHIELD or something.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I can't even believe it. They did practically everything that movie was trying to accomplish and did it better. Right down to...

Hide contents

The villain being an unpowered man whose plan basically involves blowing up a major diplomatic meeting and manipulating the heroes against each other. And his plan wasn't even fucking stupid!

I do feel like the film would have been better if he'd sent King T'Chaka a jar of piss before blowing him up.

• Like 5

Oh man, that film guys...

Spoiler

What an incredible movie. Can't wait to go see it again. 

There was a lot of hilarious moments, with Spiderman naturally stealing his scenes. And I never knew before last night I wanted to bang Aunt May, but Marisa Tomei :wub:. Truthfully though, I think I enjoyed the Bucky/Falcon dynamic even more. Just their little quips to each other and the scene in the old car were both fabulous.

As someone who knew/knows pretty much nothing about Black Panther coming in, they did great to make him seem like a huge deal, and I'm now stoked for his film.

As someone who works with mental health delinquents, Vision reminds me of someone with Aspergers Syndrome, especially in his early scenes with Scarlet Witch, which I loved. The dynamic of both not having full control over their powers is nice, but scenes that teased like a romantic tension was just awkward and no.

That entire airport fight was superb. Giant/Antman was the greatest, up until Spiderman going all Battle of Hoth on Giant/Antman. That was laugh out loud amazing.

Zemo I was mixed on. I loved how he teased the Winter Soldiers army, only for his end game just to be to get the Avengers to destroy each other. But I do feel the movie didn't do a good job to capture how he knew about the Siberia base, Winter Soldiers, etc. Maybe I just missed that he was a former Hydra guy so he had some Intel on everything, and just needed to know about that mission from 1991? Hopefully I'll have a better grasp after a second viewing. Also felt like the movie did a poor job on informing us that Cap knew about the Starks death. If he knew from TWS with Computer-Zola, a quick flashback would've sufficed.

Clearly, nitpicking. Cause fucking phenomenal movie and I can't wait to see what happens next on the MCU.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rocky Horror Szumi Show said:

Hide contents

Zemo I was mixed on. I loved how he teased the Winter Soldiers army, only for his end game just to be to get the Avengers to destroy each other. But I do feel the movie didn't do a good job to capture how he knew about the Siberia base, Winter Soldiers, etc. Maybe I just missed that he was a former Hydra guy so he had some Intel on everything, and just needed to know about that mission from 1991? Hopefully I'll have a better grasp after a second viewing. Also felt like the movie did a poor job on informing us that Cap knew about the Starks death. If he knew from TWS with Computer-Zola, a quick flashback would've sufficed.

Spoiler

He explained how he knew about the WInter Soldier programm to that former Soviet Union guy before he drowned him. He said that he knew about it from all the Shield data Black Widow leaked in the end of Captan America 2. He said it was very strongly encrypted but he managed to decrypt. He said something to the effect that encrypting it is supposed to be impossible but that for someone as determined as him it was doable IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

He explained how he knew about the WInter Soldier programm to that former Soviet Union guy before he drowned him. He said that he knew about it from all the Shield data Black Widow leaked in the end of Captan America 2. He said it was very strongly encrypted but he managed to decrypt. He said something to the effect that encrypting it is supposed to be impossible but that for someone as determined as him it was doable IIRC.

You're right, cheers :D

Great piece about the whole connected universe and backstory stuff

• Like 2

Spoiler

Maybe it's just me but I think Spidey just stuck like a sore thumb. I never read any of the comics so I don't how he fit in but with the tone that the MCU has set, he just didn't feel like he belonged or like he was necessary. How does Tony Stark A) Know about Spider Man? B) Know he's Peter Parker?  I feel like his introduction could have been handled better than the standard "One superhero knows about the other superhero and plucks him out of obscurity and into battle" cliche that we have seen as recently as Days of Future Past. 

Isn't Vision just supposed to be completely AI? Now he's falling in love with Wanda?

Other than that, it was a really good movie. The big ass Avengers fight in the middle of the movie was awesome and the movie did a great job of making both Tony and Cap, right and wrong at the same time.

Spoiler

How is that a cliché when it's happened maybe twice? Plus he's a multi-billionaire tech genius living in New York, he hears about a guy leaving some weird web-like substance at crime scenes which he also uses to apprehend bad guys and you don't think he'd want to investigate? This is the same guy that couldn't stop being curious about Thor's hammer and insisted that it's not magic, it's just a kind of technology humans haven't discovered yet, you don't think he'd be curious about this new masked guy out there? 

Also, the Russos have confirmed that Captain Marvel will be in Infinity Wars :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:
  Hide contents

Isn't Vision just supposed to be completely AI? Now he's falling in love with Wanda?

Spoiler

Ultron was an AI too and he had feelings and a personality. Plus Vision has that infinity stone or whatever these crystals are called in him which might play a part in why he is more than an AI.

First reviews for X-Men: Apocalypse are out-

Empire - 2/5
The Guardian - 3/5
IGN - 7.0/10

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

With Civil War still very early in its cinema run, X-Men: Apoc is gonna suffer review wise. And there you have it.

At least it ain't BvS, right?

The Telegraph actually put something along the lines of "X-Men: Apocalypse - almost as bad as Dawn of Justice".