Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

2 minutes ago, brenchill said:

Oh shit, yeah, I had forgotten they were Fox. But there are two Quicksilvers...

That was part of an agreement because Quicksilver was also a major Avengers player. They could easily work out an agreement, it's just not as simple as the usual "we'll just use this character because we can" is all.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/4/2016 at 01:53, tristy said:

We can't help that you're old :P

Yeah, me either :lol:

21 hours ago, brenchill said:

The cynic in me can't help but think Namor being lined up to appear in a Marvel movie is a great tactic to nullify the appearance of Aquaman in the next few years in the DCU.

But yeah, give me Cap, Namor and the Human Torch taking down nazis on the big screen any day of the week.

JIM HAMMOND VERSION PLEASE !!!!!!

But yes, it would be quite glorious for Namor to pop up and toss DCU all to hell eve more so.

And honestly I don't know that there would be an issue.  It is quite clearly a different character and seems as though they've already showed they have the rights to use him, remember the Science Expo in CPT America:

human-torch-youtube2.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Benji said:

They have the rights to Jim Hammond, the name "The Human Torch" is what we're discussing.

I know ... but Jim Hammond is a completely different character named "The Human Torch" and pre-dates the FF4 version.  The name "Human Torch" applies to his character just as much as it does to 'ol Johnny Storm.  Considering that JJJ had a sequence in which they name dropped Doctor Strange, at the very least I don't see why they couldn't pop in the name in at the very least, a descriptive manner for him.

• Like 1

A passing "wink and nod" mention is entirely different to marketing an entire film with that name. Doesn't matter which character was invented first, Marvel sold the rights for the name "The Human Torch". They can use Jim Hammond all they like, but in film the Torch name belongs to who they sold it to.

Like I say, they will come to an agreement (in the event this ever even happens), if they can come to an agreement on Spider-Man then they can come to an agreement on a nickname that's probably used once a film max.

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

A passing "wink and nod" mention is entirely different to marketing an entire film with that name. Doesn't matter which character was invented first, Marvel sold the rights for the name "The Human Torch". They can use Jim Hammond all they like, but in film the Torch name belongs to who they sold it to.

Like I say, they will come to an agreement (in the event this ever even happens), if they can come to an agreement on Spider-Man then they can come to an agreement on a nickname that's probably used once a film max.

See, I can't find that though .. yes they sold the rights to the FF4 and characters ... however, the HUMAN TORCH name doesn't belong simply to Johnny Storm.  What Fox owns is the Johnny Storm Human Torch, but I'm not sure it covers everything.  I've been looking and there isn't a definitive answer out there that I can find

Them having it for Johnny Storm would cover it for all forms. It doesn't matter that it's Johnny Storm, it would cover Jim Hammond too. Trademarks exist to prevent exactly that kind of confusion. It'd be like Sony having bought the rights to Spider-Man years ago, and then Marvel making a film with Miles Morales and calling him Spider-Man as well. He's not the same character as Peter Parker, but that confusion would obviously exist if they shared a name "Spider-Man", and people making money would be making money off of the Spider-Man name when they didn't have the rights.

Again though, if they can agree to let Spidey go to Marvel, I doubt there'll be any issues beyond paying a licensing fee or some kick back of profits.

12 hours ago, Benji said:

I can't blame anyone for giving up on Gotham early, but BD Wrong has killed it as Hugo Strange this season.

Googled BD Wrong and found this

tumblr_nhj0cqOO5r1rwsgk0o1_1280.jpg

• Like 2