Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I second the "Storm is boring" line of thinking. Also, for someone who's supposed to be extremely powerful, she's really useless in too many stories. I think her most engaging stories were when she was depowered. Special useless points go to her stint in the Avengers. "We need someone to replace Thor while he's away, let's bring in Storm, she's as powerful as he is!" and the only mission she's in she spends 95% of the time unconscious. That worked out great. But I digress. Storm is one of those characters I never really cared for, and I don't see that changing soon.

I love Storm... don't love Halle Berry Storm though and have no idea why they thought that was someone who needed to be brought back.

I watched First Class for the first time yesterday, since everything since 2006 onward has killed my childhood love of the X-Men... I liked it, didn't love it, but kinda got me thinking about DoFP. My wife flat-out refuses to see it because she knows it's going to be a colossal clusterfuck, but now all these good reviews have me somewhat curious. In an era where critics seem hellbent on making "superhero fatigue" a thing, I'm surprised a movie with this much going on can garner favorable reviews.

Oh there's definitely a subset of critics who were never that into superhero movies in the first place that are trying to make it obvious they're bored with the way they frame their reviews. It's probably not large enough to affect the overall opinion of a film, though.

Days of Future Past was a lot of fun. I thought it did a lot of elements well, and the stuff in the future was so cool. It's not perfect, and some stuff in the cannon is kind of confusing, but it met my expectations and I had a great time.

Also, make sure you stick around for the post-credit sequence!

Just came back from watching DOFP. It's good, but not great, I think there are better entries in the X-Men series (namely, X2 and First Class; I put this one on The Wolverine's level). The violence was off the charts, though, I think I've only seen one or two comic book movies that are more violent than this one (I believe Punisher: War Zone and Man of Steel are more violent, but this one is more graphic than Man of Steel). Still, pretty good X-Men movie and I think they did the DOFP story justice.

One thing I didn't get though, was how Kitty could send people back in time. Was it some aspect of her powers or something? I thought it would be Xavier who would send Wolverine back, since in the comics it was a telepath (Rachel) who sent Kate's mind back in time.

Oh, and the after credits scene did its job: I'm hyped for the next one. Question: Is it known if it will be a present day X-Men story or a past X-Men story?

Yeah from interviews and such I got the impression that the films will all be the yo

Yeah from interviews and such I got the impression that the films will all be the younger cast going forward.

I haven't seen DOFP but if they "change" history then surely that means anything from now on will overwrite the canon of the original trilogy. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah from interviews and such I got the impression that the films will all be the yo

Yeah from interviews and such I got the impression that the films will all be the younger cast going forward.

I haven't seen DOFP but if they "change" history then surely that means anything from now on will overwrite the canon of the original trilogy. Not necessarily a bad thing.

ENDING SPOILERS:

Yeah, they really do change history and basically nullify at least part of the second movie and the third movie. When Wolverine wakes up back in his own time, there are certain characters that died (really, it's not hard to guess who) who are shown to be alive and well. Was a great touch, I thought.

Thanks for the info, Livid and Avenged.

Something i didn't understand about DOFP from the trailer.

Why does Wolverine have bone claws back?

The Wolverine Spoilers

Silver Samurai severed his adamantium claws (cut them off) and his healing factor doesn't include adamantium, so his old bone claws grew back instead. The rest of his body is still adamantium laced, except his claws.

Something i didn't understand about DOFP from the trailer.

Why does Wolverine have bone claws back?

The Wolverine Spoilers

Silver Samurai severed his adamantium claws (cut them off) and his healing factor doesn't include adamantium, so his old bone claws grew back instead. The rest of his body is still adamantium laced, except his claws.

Actually, I don't think that's it. In the future...

He has the adamantium claws back, at least that's what it seemed like, when he was thrashing around and ended up stabbing Kitty, those seemed like metal claws, didn't they? In the past he has bone claws because, in the time period he traveled to, he still hadn't gone throught the Weapon X program.

• Like 1

I've not seen the movie yet, but that doesn't make sense. He doesn't travel back to that period and become the same guy he was in that time - he's still his "future" self, but in the past. Surely it's just because that exact thing happened in The Wolverine?

As for "superhero fatigue", I think it's absolutely a thing. No genre remains consistently huge forever, and sooner or later the superhero "bubble" will burst. Marvel have the right idea in making many of their films stylistically very different from one another, rather than all just "this is another superhero movie", but it still won't last forever. I think people forget that comic book movies being taken seriously at all is a very recent phenomenon.

I've not seen the movie yet, but that doesn't make sense. He doesn't travel back to that period and become the same guy he was in that time - he's still his "future" self, but in the past. Surely it's just because that exact thing happened in The Wolverine?

As for "superhero fatigue", I think it's absolutely a thing. No genre remains consistently huge forever, and sooner or later the superhero "bubble" will burst. Marvel have the right idea in making many of their films stylistically very different from one another, rather than all just "this is another superhero movie", but it still won't last forever. I think people forget that comic book movies being taken seriously at all is a very recent phenomenon.

Wolverine's body doesn't travel back in time, only his mind does to inhabit his younger body, before he went through Weapon X, and his future body stays in the future. So, he basically becomes who he was at the time, only with decades of added experience and knowledge of events.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat
  • Like 1