Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Asking where spiderman was, actually a legit question for an avengers movie. He was a member.

Isn't Spider-Man owned by somebody other than Marvel Films? Hell, half of the Marvel characters are split up aren't they?

I think Sony own Spider-Man and Fox own X-Men, basically leaving Marvel with the people left in The Avengers as they are now.

Sony has Spider-Man and related characters.

Fox has X-Men and related characters, as well as Fantastic Four and related characters.

Marvel Films still retains 95% of Marvel Comics characters. There are literally hundreds of characters that have yet to make a TV or Film debut and that could be brought into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never really into the Comics, I only really know the film Universe. Just how many Marvel heroes are there?

If every even somewhat known character got his/her own movie every year, we'd never live to see the end of it.

It wouldn't make it a question that wasn't legit from a gf that doesn't know who owns the rights though. In fact, spiderman was to have some crossover to avengers because they got permission to add in oscorp buildings, but didn't have the time to.

Personally I think it would have been awesome if Hawkeye had called out there was a group headed to Manhattan only to have them crash into a giant web and him say "uhhh never mind."

It woulda made a great movie greater.

I want them to ask why cyborgs actor changed from agents of shield.

Cuz Cyborg isn't on AoS

Yes I was thinking of the DC character and didn't get a chance to edit it since I'm at work

I was never really into the Comics, I only really know the film Universe. Just how many Marvel heroes are there?

If every even somewhat known character got his/her own movie every year, we'd never live to see the end of it.

Here's hoping for my dazzler / longshot movie!

• Like 1

I'm really not sure how I feel about Days Of Future Past. Maybe it got hyped up too much by hearing everyone and their mother talk about how impressive it was, and how great a movie it was, but it didn't do much for me outside of a few scenes. Maybe everyone else was just happy that it wasn't X-Men 3.

Singer does a good job handling a large cast without anyone feeling too much like they're getting lost in the shuffle, and he loves throwing in a little reference just for the comic book fans, which I like but can get a bit troublesome when practically every character gets given a name relevant to the comics to get the "oooh, him!" reaction from the fanbase...only to lead to a contradiction later on down the line when they actually need that character in another movie. The one that comes to mind is "Hank McCoy" being referenced in X-Men 2, and just about anything in Wolverine: Origins, but I digress.

The dialogue, overall, was clunky as all hell, especially anything Patrick Stewart as Xavier had to say. It felt like every line was exposition, or a motivational speech.

I felt the "psychic time travel" aspect was a nice idea, and could have been explored a bit more, but for the Days Of Future Past story, felt a bit of a cop-out. It seemed as if the likes of Bishop were just there because they "should" be, not because they were actually necessary to the plot in any substantial way. Doing an X-Men time travel with Bishop never being more than a supporting character, and one with no relevance to the plot whatsoever, felt wrong to me. This kind of ties in with what I was saying earlier, actually, in that they put Bishop in there to lend "authenticity" for the fans who know the story...and then did fuck all with him. Considering some of the characters who didn't make it into this film, or who barely appear, it just seemed daft to introduce yet more minor characters just for the sake of it. Similarly, Major Stryker being one of Trask's lackeys felt a bit too much like trying to jam everything in, and the way he brings up his son, just to get a Jason Stryker mention, is even more forced.

Quicksilver was fun, though. From his initial scene, which was just the right side of corny, I was dreading how he'd end up being portrayed, but he was great. His slow-motion run around to save the day at the Pentagon was probably the highlight of the film, and a well needed bit of silliness in amongst all the po-faced world-saving. I'd only just said to my girlfriend that it looked like they weren't making him Magneto's son, when he did the little quip about his Mum having known someone who could control metal, so I got a kick out of that.

I can't believe that, in the past few years of joking about the X-Men Drinking Game (drink when someone shouts "JEAN!"), I never once considered "drink when someone says 'GET OUT OF MY HEAD, CHARLES!'".

Didn't enjoy how much the story centred around Mystique, and not a fan of the relationship between Xavier and Mystique at all. I think she's a character that is more interesting the less you know about her, because that's what she has going for her, she could be literally anyone. It just felt like they realised they had Jennifer Lawrence involved, and needed to make a bigger part for her.

Didn't like that Jean Grey was alive in the alternate future, it felt too "everybody's happy, everything's fine". Obviously things could have gone completely differently in this timeline, but the Phoenix story had nothing to do with what happened here, and was seemingly inevitable anyway...but I guess that we're more than likely done with the "classic" cast, and Apocalypse will be picking up where this one ended in the "past", so there's no real problem with a happily ever after.

I thought Hugh Jackman's performance just felt a little "off", but that's probably because he can sleep-walk through a Wolverine performance now. Similarly, Fassbender - while still fantastic - was nowhere near as good as he was in First Class, and it felt like he had a lot less to work with, probably because all the character development has been done and he's just playing the bad guy now.

There were some positives, though...I absolutely loved James McAvoy throughout. I think his performance carried the film, and that I enjoyed watching it almost entirely because of him.

While limited, Magneto's role in the future portions of the film were superb - from the relatively subtle touch of him not wearing his helmet, indicating that he now trusts Xavier enough not to mess with him, and his big heroic fight against the Sentinels, he was superb. It was nice to give the character a bit of a redemption, letting him at least attempt to save the day - by protecting other mutants, the one thing he has always strived to do - and then reconciling with Xavier. The line about being happy to have had just a few of the years they spent fighting back was especially bittersweet when you realise that the timeline will be changed, removing the threat of the Sentinels, and restoring Magneto as the Big Bad, so that the reconciliation will probably now never happen.

I genuinely gasped and shouted "no!" in the cinema when Major Stryker said he'd take care of Wolverine once they pulled him out of the water at the end - the idea of Weapon X being the kind of fixed point in time that Beast was talking about earlier and that, no matter what happens, Wolverine has to end up there was just grim. But then it was revealed to be Mystique, and that seemed like a nice heroic moment...but now what? Is Wolverine not going to have an Adamantium skeleton now? Or is he going to end up in Weapon X somewhere between now and Apocalypse?

End credits was awesome, but then I just bloody love Apocalypse.

Sounds like I'm being overly negative, I know, but I did enjoy the film as a whole, it just all felt a bit muddled and incomplete, and relied a bit much on assuming that you'd like all the little inside jokes and references. Not to mention that the respective timelines don't really match up at all. But despite all that, most of it was quite fun to watch, only felt like it dragged in a few places, and there were some really solid performances, mostly McAvoy, that lifted it above what it could have been.

It's nowhere near as good as First Class was, though, and far from the triumph I've seen it hailed as.[

Man, if they ruin Ant-Man... :(

...then, like, ten whole people will be bummed!

NO DEADPOOL, NO PEACE!

I mean, I get that it's a running joke, but you know Marvel don't have the rights to Deadpool, right? >_>

Yeah, it's just the one movie that I want that I may actually get a chance of seeing (because, like my favorite athletes, my favorite superheroes are kinda random (aka, Jubilee, Guy Gardner, etc)).

Of course, even if they make it, I'll still complain unless Ryan Reynolds plays him, because he's pretty much the perfect guy to do it, and, from everything I've heard, really wants to do it. It's also the best chance of Cable showing up in a movie!

A kid walks by in the opening, in the concentration camps. He's got Cable's M shaped scar on his eye.

But Cable doesn't have an M shaped scar, does he? The only characters I remember who have them are Bishop and Multiple Man. He has scars, but I don't think they're M shaped, just battle scars (or maybe scars from the technorganic virus?).

Also, even if he does, that doesn't mean a thing, since it's the standard for mutants to be branded with an M.

Yeah, on closer inspection it looks like Cables scar isn't in the shape of an M, so my guess is gone.

Hopefully we'll see both the formation of the X-Force and Cable in Apocalypse.

I don't recall Cable having had the "M" scar, Bishop had it. But that was basically just the way they brand mutants in the future, so it doesn't mean anything anyway.

Cable wouldn't have made sense in Days Of Future Past - he's Cyclops' son, so would need to be from much further in the future than the story allowed for.