Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

On the way back from Winter Soldier, but I can safely say it's the best MCU film yet. Absolutely awesome.

Gonna go watch it tomorrow night, can't wait! I'm not even a big Captain America fan, but I know the jist of the Winter Soldier story (been meaning to actually read it for a long time), and everything I've seen from the movie seems awesome. It's good to know it didn't disappoint.

I'm off to see it in a few hours. I have high hopes! IGN also said it may be the best Marvel film (and gave it 9/10). Empire, Total Film and The Guardian all gave it 4/5 too.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so Winter Soldier:

Wow. Wow and damn. The post-credit scenes with Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch: They're being controlled by Strucker? That's awesome, but how did he get them? And how did he get Loki's sceptre? And the sceptre isn't one of the infinity gems?

The Doctor Strange reference: I hope that means he's gonna' be around somehow. I wonder how Sitwell and SHIELD know about him.

SHIELD: I'm pretty sure it's going to come back somehow, but my main question is, what will this do for the TV series? I mean, there's no more SHIELD now, when they have a TV series about SHIELD. Unless this is supposed to happen after the first season? Also interested in what Hill is going to do at Stark, and where Fury will go from here. I guess he's not going to be in the Guardians film in any way whatsoever? I thought he'd surely make an appearance, he has in all the rest.

I'm guessing 13 and Cap will actually get together in the third film, but it was quite disappointing how little we saw of her. GSP was awesome, by the way, thought he did really well for his limited role. Hope he makes it back somehow in the third one too. Maybe he'll team up with Fury :P

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot:

One of my favourite Stan Lee cameos ever.

And the Danny Pudi cameo was amazing too!

Edited by Benkid

Rather enjoyed Winter Soldier.

Felt it was a bit "busy" at times, and some of the set-pieces were too big and "epic", and having a very personal story (Bucky) set against the backdrop of potential genocide kind of lessened the Bucky narrative - as did leaving little time for emotional moments to sink in because they were happening ON A GIANT CRASHING HELICARRIER during the ubiquitous "GET THE THING IN THE THING BEFORE THE TIMER RUNS OUT" portion of the movie, but mostly it was very good indeed, though I almost found myself wishing it had just been a Nick Fury movie.

I'd prefer that the standalone movies be a little more character-driven, as Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 were, and the Winter Soldier story kind of needs to be, than the Avengers movies, which can afford to be big epic clusterfucks - because the longer we spend with a character, the more we should see them develop, and Captain America never really grew beyond "man out of time, wants to do the right thing". Not to mention that, once we've seen one hero - or one hero and a couple of B-level sidekicks - stop a potential end of the world story, it's going to get harder and harder to justify why we'd need a whole bunch of them to do it next time around.

This is a film about a personal relationship that gives that relationship all of ten minutes of screen time. It's a film about the relationship between security and privacy that explores that hot topic via the medium of SUPERMAN PUNCHES AND EXPLODING JETS. I don't think it really knew what to be. Also, Captain America's visit to The Museum Of Exposition was hilarious and cringeworthy, and I can't help but feel that, the more of these movies Marvel churn out, the more of that kind of thing we'll have to put up with.

Probably my favourite Stan Lee cameo yet, though.

The titled it Captain Malaysia here, Srar. I was just as appalled.

Also, Skummy:

I don't think they skimped on the Cap and Bucky relationship at all. They provided a nice backstory for it, they gave it nice emotional touch with the flashback regarding post-Rogers' mum's funeral, and the fight scenes between them told a story (his arm, Rogers actually able to be hurt by Bucky because of the experiments Zola did to him, the final fight scene where Rogers broke Bucky's arm while trapping the mechanical one with his hooks). Plus, they laid their relationship all out in the first movie as well. It's not a film about a personal relationship, I don't think Wheadon or the Russos ever said that. They always claimed they wanted this to sort of be a spy movie with superheroes.

It was never going to be a one-on-one film between Bucky and Rogers.

And Rogers didn't really stop it by himself, he was with Black Widow and Falcon. That's a team right there. Also they weren't fighting hordes of alien warriors. Pretty sure Ultron (and whatever Strucker has planned) will be a much bigger problem to handle).

I don't think it looks too bad, Johnny, but it's Michael Bay, so i'm not expecting it to be good. Like the Transformers movies, i'll reserve my judgment until after I watch the movie...then i'll bitch about how Bay ruined it.

That was the best Marvel film since Avengers. Totally destroyed Thor TDW. Everything about it was spot on.

And oh man...

That Peggy cameo...

He couldn't leave his best girl behind. :crying:

Loved it so much, didn't have a single problem with it. It was perfect.

My first reaction to the trailer is that it doesn't seem too far outside of what I was hoping for, or too far removed from the original film series.

That being said, it did feel like a Michael Bay film. While Transformers was fun to look at, I lost interest very quickly... and I'm afraid that the same thing will happen with this. I feel like it will be fun enough and look good, but the Bay-isms will ultimately make it fluff and lose my interest.

This is such a 'really, you're going to bitch about that' type of complaint, but the way the turtles look, especially how high the shell comes up, really bugs me for some reason. They just don't look right.

The shell being so high was something I noticed too. The way they look aside from that, I'm okay with.

It looks alright, I don't know. It looks like what I expected from a Michael Bay-produced (not directed - I'm not sure if that's clear to everyone) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie so it's hard for me generate any kind of response outside of "Yep. That's it."

Also, I did post the trailer in the :shifty: