Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, i saw this article posted on a friend's facebook comparing the apocalypse we are getting on screen, to some of the best examples of cosplayers as apocalypse and the cosplayers looked not only better but actually authentic as well. So it seemingly can be done, on a small scale at least.

Edited by Max

Edited by Kirkland
  • Like 2

There's a big difference between what looks good walking around a Con and what looks good when shot on film.  But they definitely could have done a better job with Apocalypse than what we have.  

Anyways, Ant-Man was a lot of fun.

Edited by Maxx

That's how I felt about it. Paul Rudd is a charming guy and Michael Douglas was really good, but honestly you are not missing anything if you don't see this.  The most consequential part of the plot and the greater MCU was the after-credits scene (the second one). Corey Stoll is a really good actor but I have a hard time buying him as the Big Bad in super hero movie. At most, he should be playing the role of assistant to the evil megalomaniac, i.e. Hamish Linklater's role in "The Fantastic Four."

But Rudd said a line that makes the most sense out of anything ever said in a Marvel movie, given the scope of what we know the MCU is.

"Why don't we just call 'The Avengers'?" 

• Like 1

I actually thought it was one of Marvel's better attempts once it really got going. Paul Rudd fits very well and he's always been stronger in ensemble pieces, so he should have great interactions with the rest of the Avengers. And Corey Stoll was great. The scene where

he's talking to Cassie gave me chills.

He should be in more things.

Anyway, I liked it more than Ultron, so I'm satisfied.

Edit: OH! Also, I loved finding little remnants of what's left of what Edgar Wright wrote. I'd say that the two most obvious ones would be...

The scenes where Michael Pena talks about how he heard of the safe and how heard that The Falcon was looking for Scott seem like they have Edgar Wright's fingerprints all over them. But the most obvious one had to be when Siri plays The Cure in the fight inside the briefcase.

Edited by The Doof WaLLior
  • Like 1

I actually read that the Pena tip scenes were under Reed.. I would tend to think that Falcon's involvement wouldn't have been Wright's idea at all given he supposedly had problems with the need to tie the film into the shared universe. That said, Wright is credited with the hilarious train battle and the idea to make it a heist-type film. Anyways, Ant-Man was exactly the movie it needed to be: fun, charming, and light-hearted. My only real gripe is that the villain again is not exactly fleshed out and feels very much like a clone of Stane from the first Iron Man. It's not a big deal here so much as an overriding issue Marvel needs to address in future films. It's one of the few things I'll give DC the edge over. Joker, Bane, even Zod in MOS all feel like much more credible, multi-dimensional baddies that anything we've seen from Marvel. I get they go for a completely different tone, but they could still make these guys feel like less of an afterthought. Here's the article on Wright v Reed ideas if anyone wants to see:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-17/ant-man-director-explains-the-differences-from-edgar-wright-version  

Edited by HeadChuck McGill

Yup, Reed says it in the article. It seems like both regimes brought a lot to the table, and I doubt the film would've been as good without either's contributions.

Edited by HeadChuck McGill

Oh, this was an Easter egg that I totally missed in Ant-Man:

Apparently one of the buyers of the Yellowjacket suit had a Ten Rings tattoo! HYDRA and the Ten Rings teaming up, perhaps?

Also apparently there was a headline on a newspaper that said "Who's to Blame for Sokovia?" So I guess that's where the Accords come in, some sort of government group that is replacing the Superhero Registration Act?

Also, can someone tell me what the Easter eggs in the quantum realm were? I totally missed them.

Ant-Man was a solid little mid-tier Marvel movie. I'd put it on par with Iron Man 3 and the first Thor. Loved the Pyms (even if that's not Hope's surname). I loved the Pyms so much.