Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I went in with pretty low expectations and still came away wondering how anyone could call that a film. It was a manchild's idea of what Batman versus Superman would be, and it was only that for about 10 minutes. The worst part is that the plot is literally given out in the trailer itself, so that you know everything that's about to happen and nothing, not one thing, even the so-called "surprises", are actually all that surprising.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Variety was saying it needs to make $800 million just to break even

58 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

I went in with pretty low expectations and still came away wondering how anyone could call that a film. It was a manchild's idea of what Batman versus Superman would be, and it was only that for about 10 minutes. The worst part is that the plot is literally given out in the trailer itself, so that you know everything that's about to happen and nothing, not one thing, even the so-called "surprises", are actually all that surprising.

I guess it can tout that it's still not the worst superhero film of the past year... (Fant4stic) ,so I guess they got that going for them.

It's kind of sneaky bad.  Its a really expensive movie, and it looks like it, so that can throw people off for one.  Its got good actors in it and a lot of them are doing a fine job with the material.  There's a lot of scenes that if isolate them and watch them on their own, look great and work really well.  But all those scenes are mashed together in a really poor structure and then paced terribly.  I can definitely see why people don't shit on it to the degree I did, and I can kinda see why some people might like it a little.

I enjoyed it the same way I enjoyed the first Expendables. The story was pretty decent, the characters were solid (Affleck played a really good Bruce Wayne/Batman and I like Cavill as Superman) and it was just a movie I could turn my brain off and enjoy for the cool action scenes. Maybe I enjoyed it more because I didn't read the comics but it was mindless entertainment that I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Well I enjoyed it, is it fantastic? no. Is it awful? no. There are some things that could have been done a lot better and some plot points are a bit lazy and cliched but it was enjoyable for me even with that. It could have been better but it's in no way the monstrosity that the critics have made it out to be.

• Like 1

Saw it yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised since the critical reviews had my expectations pretty low. The worst parts of the movie were the disjointed editing and the fact that Henry Cavill/Amy Adams have no chemistry together. The Lois/Clark scenes were just not good. The movie definitely takes itself waaaay to seriously with the philosophical dialogue as well, but it's kind of a nice change of pace from Ultron cracking jokes. I loved Batfleck and WW though(Lex seemed to be trying to hard to channel Ledger's Joker but grew on me), and the action scenes were well done. I'd give it a B, and I think it helps that I came in with low expectations. Not breath-taking, but it delivered for me, although I certainly understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea. I liked it more than AOU, MOS, and DKR, personally. I really need a solo Batman movie now.

The way Eisenberg play Luthor started out pretty believable for trying to translate a comic book villain into any semblance of reality, but as the movie went on, he just got goofier and goofier. I'm honestly surprised Christopher Nolan let his name be put on this, even if it's just a do nothing credit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HC said:

Saw it yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised since the critical reviews had my expectations pretty low. The worst parts of the movie were the disjointed editing and the fact that Henry Cavill/Amy Adams have no chemistry together. The Lois/Clark scenes were just not good. The movie definitely takes itself waaaay to seriously with the philosophical dialogue as well, but it's kind of a nice change of pace from Ultron cracking jokes. I loved Batfleck and WW though(Lex seemed to be trying to hard to channel Ledger's Joker but grew on me), and the action scenes were well done. I'd give it a B, and I think it helps that I came in with low expectations. Not breath-taking, but it delivered for me, although I certainly understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea. I liked it more than AOU, MOS, and DKR, personally. I really need a solo Batman movie now.

I think that has less to do with them having no chemistry and more to do with them not being given any scenes to add to their relationship. They had one scene, which was essentially for Snyder to show as much naked Amy Adams as possible, in a scene that had less to do with their relationship and some nonsense about Superman. Snyder basically skipped over their relationship and just showed them living together, when the last we saw of them in MOS was them just making out at the end of the film. It was boring and basically turned the Lois character into exposition-central, where she went all over the world basically getting the plot explained for us. That made me not give a damn about the climax that involved her arc (why was she even in it to begin with? did we not have enough of a mess and enough big characters for the big finale?).

Also, I didn't really feel that Eisenberg was playing Ledger's Joker (though I understand why people would get that vibe), I felt he was believable coked-up techie billionaire bad guy that was an only child who had to delve into his own mind for all this supposed deep meanings behind his thinking. I really liked his speech at the gala or whatever the hell it was. I really wish he didn't have the Luthor name attached to it, though, if he had just played a bad guy that wasn't named Lex Luthor, I honestly think people would sour less on him.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Maxx said:

It was always going to have a big opening, but I don't think it has legs.  It's not a movie people will want to see multiple times, either because they didn't like it or because it's so goddamn long.  And I can't imagine it's appealing to kids, all the stuff they'd be interested in happens two hours after they've probably checked out.

Yes, a shitty, poorly reviewed Transformers movie can make a bunch of money, but that's a 100 minutes of CGI action scenes, it's a whole lot more digestible than BVS.

I read a review on Deadspin where the reviewer said some 8 year old kid in front of him left the film early, crying. :P

I actually really enjoyed Batman V Superman, thought it was a ton of super serious fun. Nice follow up to Man of Steel, I'm pretty psyched to see where the DCU goes after this.

Lots of problems with the film, but eh, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Looking forward to the Extended Edition that apparently features Barbara Gordon!

oh my god, that was awful. That was really awful. That was just so awful. It was like if you gave an internet comments section flamewar re-enactment a billion dollar budget. I brought a notebook to write down things I didn't like when they happened, and filled five pages (though sometimes in really large, scrawled text, like Jesse Eisenberg's name on multiple occasions).

in the interest of being positive: Ben Affleck could be a good Batman in a different movie. Jeremy Irons was a good Alfred. maybe the Wonder Woman movie could be good? I don't know.

• Like 1

46 minute review and, obviously spoilers, but I love these guys

• Like 1

Nah...it still needs to make $20 million domestic to be the highest grossing R rated movie of all time, putting it past American Sniper (#2) and Passion Of The Christ (#1).  Thats why.  Their trying to set that record

On 26/03/2016 at 04:07, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

I'm honestly surprised Christopher Nolan let his name be put on this, even if it's just a do nothing credit.

The guy directed DKR, he's not that bothered about his name being attached to utter tosh. 

• Like 1