Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supergirl this week was amazing! The DCCU needs to watch this shit to find out how to do superhero team-ups right. It made me giddy and wanting more, and now I kinda' want a Justice League of the TV DC heroes of Supergirl, Flash, Green Arrow (okay, maybe not him) and Martian Manhunter!

Also, I so want Grant Gustin's Flash to be the romantic interest of Melissa Benoist's Supergirl. They were fucking adorable together, amazing chemistry from the start!

EDIT: Also, I've read a few reviews on this episode, and they've all said the same thing: due to the timing, you can starkly see the differences between how this show treats its Kryptonian central figure and how Snyder characterizes Superman. Supergirl definitely knows how to land those Superman principles, while at the same time making her so relatable to everyone.

I for one don't understand why they have decided to cast new characters for the Arrowverse main characters. I guess a guy like Gustin doesn't 'fit the bill' for Superhero films...

The brilliance about the MCU is that it's one big universe from the individual films to the TV series, Netflix series, and anything in between. The only thing that's not part of the MCU are the animation series and the comic-verse, but other than that every single thing being aired is considered canon across the board.

DC on the other hand decides to handle two distinct verses for the big screen and the TV, and as a fan of Flash it kinda annoys me that they just sweep the TV Series under the rug as if they're 'lesser entertainment', which has always been a huge problem with comic film/tv canon in general. It cheapens the TV Series because as a collective you're saying 'you dont need to watch those tv series, they don't matter anyways'.

DC and WB are trying so hard to emulate the success of what Marvel and Disney have gotten with the MCU, but they actively fail to understand what they did to become so successful in the first place. Because they didn't reach that success just by having a big explosion-fest with 'the big names' at the forefront. Marvel focused on building a living world where every piece of media had a lasting effect on the canon, and it built its blockbusters around good stories with great casting choices, with the top-budget set pieces being secondary to that.

I really want to root for DC/WB here, but they make head-scratching decisions with their material and make it very hard to actually care if their biggest blockbuster to date is a critical failure.

• Like 1

Grant Gustin's Flash is "the wrong tone" for Zack Snyder's DC cinematic universe, according to Snyder.

(aka he is an optimistic portrayal of a superhero)

• Like 3

I hate ultra grim super hero movies. I feel a bit of a hypocrite since I still love The Dark Knight but yeah all the grim and gritty stuff is just too much. It's turned me off of Arrow and without Foggy I feel like Daredevil is a little too grim most of the time. I am going to watch this movie eventually and I have a feeling I am going to hate it.

I saw something saying the director of Aquaman wanted to make a fun adventure movie and I thought "oh cool!" then a few hours later I saw an article saying Zack Snyder was going to be helping him with the movie and I just said "Oh..." :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Grant Gustin's Flash is "the wrong tone" for Zack Snyder's DC cinematic universe, according to Snyder.

(aka he is an optimistic portrayal of a superhero)

Then why doesn't he jizz all over Amell as the Arrow then? Since that's probably right up his grimdark alley.

I mean, there's "we're trying really really hard to emulate the Nolan films" dark like the first season or two of Arrow, and then there's this.

Technically four. Supergirl isn't in the same universe as Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow, unless the crossover episode which I haven't seen yet says otherwise.

It really sucks that the universe where joy and happiness never existed is the one that's getting the big screen adaptation.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Technically four. Supergirl isn't in the same universe as Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow, unless the crossover episode which I haven't seen yet says otherwise.

Nope, different universe. Supergirl is definitely the second most fun out of anything DC and WB are doing on TV / film, though.

First three team members for the New Mutants movies will be Storm (same actress as in Apocalypse, obviously), Magik (played by the girl from The Witch), and Wolfsbane (played by Maisie Williams!!!).

First three team members for the New Mutants movies will be Storm (same actress as in Apocalypse, obviously), Magik (played by the girl from The Witch), and Wolfsbane (played by Maisie Williams!!!).

• Like 2

Jennifer Lawrence is interested in coming back as Mystique

Suicide Squad undergoing reshoots to add more humor

The article says the jokes from the trailer where the only jokes in the entire movie