Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Jessica Henwick has been cast as Colleen Wing in Iron Fist.

EDIT: So I finally managed to go see Bats vs Supes tonight. I will now proceed to watch about 2 to 3 hours of videos featuring kittens and puppies to see if I'm able to feel some resemblance of joy ever again.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat
  • Like 4

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reason why Supergirl wouldn't get on Netflix after the season finishes?

I enjoyed Batman vs Superman. It wasn't perfect, there was a fair bit of bad, but I thought there was some really cool stuff in there and there was a bunch of stuff which I appreciated the thought behind, even if the execution was sometimes off. I mean, I went in with low expectations, but it was definitely enjoyable, still escapism, and nowhere near as awful as what I'd heard. Seriously, Amy Adams is just so good in everything. 

I think if you were a fan of the comics or the characters beforehand you'll dislike BvS a lot more than if you go into it relatively impartial.

Also, can I just say - I hate "low expectations", because it's just such a lame excuse that enables studios to churn out garbage and go "eh, people will see it anyway". Aside from that, fuck "low expectations" because I shouldn't have to have them because all the tools to really deliver a good comic book movie are right there. Marvel does it right. DC and WB can do it right too, but they want to rush things out for that all-consuming $$$. I know they can do better, so I'm going to keep my expectations high instead of letting them skate by on "oh, well, low expectations and all that".

General observation. I've talked to a few people who saw it and weren't really huge Batman or Superman fans (or even comic book movie fans) going into it, and they liked it - there is something to be said for Zack Snyder's directing when it comes to spectacles and big fight scenes - but I didn't like it at all, and I've been a big Batman fan since I was a kid. I'm also reeeeeeally tired of grimdark superhero movies.

I normally rate Amy Adams quite highly, but her Lois Lane is soulless and bland. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kirkland said:

Any reason why Supergirl wouldn't get on Netflix after the season finishes?

Its a CBS show.  CBS is or has launched their own streaming service for their network and corporate owned networks (this includes The CW), so no CBS show is available on Netflix or Hulu, and CW shows might be pulled from them as well.  CBS's service will be around $7 a month

6 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I think if you were a fan of the comics or the characters beforehand you'll dislike BvS a lot more than if you go into it relatively impartial.

Also, can I just say - I hate "low expectations", because it's just such a lame excuse that enables studios to churn out garbage and go "eh, people will see it anyway". Aside from that, fuck "low expectations" because I shouldn't have to have them because all the tools to really deliver a good comic book movie are right there. Marvel does it right. DC and WB can do it right too, but they want to rush things out for that all-consuming $$$. I know they can do better, so I'm going to keep my expectations high instead of letting them skate by on "oh, well, low expectations and all that".

I don't think that's true, I went to see BvS with Mrs. TKz and a few friends. Between me and Mrs. TKz we own about 6000 comics at this point and I'd say we've read the majority of Batman's more interesting runs. One of the friends I went with is a huge Marvel guy but has read a fair bit of Batman too, mostly Scott Snyder's run.

Of the three of us, Mrs. TKz hated it and me and my friend loved it.

I don't think there's really any explaining the line between people that like and dislike the film. So much of the stuff people really hated about the film I was pretty happy to just write off and wasn't really bothered by. But then me and my friend liked Man of Steel, so maybe that's the real link there.

The main thing I come away unhappy about is how on the nose all of the Superman = God/Jesus references were. Man of Steel had some moments that I felt were a bit over the top with that - this was at times at few steps away from being some weird Christianity propaganda. >_> Like we get it Zack, there's some comparisons there, I'm not sure anyone's really as into those comparisons as you are. :P

• Like 1

Just now, Lint said:

Its a CBS show.  CBS is or has launched their own streaming service for their network and corporate owned networks (this includes The CW), so no CBS show is available on Netflix or Hulu, and CW shows might be pulled from them as well.  CBS's service will be around $7 a month

Streaming from questionable sites it is then. If your head is so far up your ass as to think trying to cut in on Netflix is a good idea then you get nothing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DFF said:

I normally rate Amy Adams quite highly, but her Lois Lane is soulless and bland. 

It probably didn't help that her character in the movie was basically Miss Exposition. She had just about nothing to do, of course she phoned it in.

13 hours ago, Kirkland said:

Streaming from questionable sites it is then. If your head is so far up your ass as to think trying to cut in on Netflix is a good idea then you get nothing.

They think their big draw to the service is going to be a new Star Trek show exclusive to the service.  <_<

If its original Star Trek I might be interested depending on the concept and cast. But if its NuTrek, then forget it. I want NuTrek to *Gordon Ramsay* fuck off *Gordon Ramsay* and die. But I won't pay for another subscription service. I'm not even willing to sign up for Amazon's. Why would I sign up for a network's?

That would be Yahlin Chang who wrote it, as well as having written "Human For A Day" and "How Does She Do It?". She's an exec producer on the show as well, so, uh, I doubt she's going away..

I thought that episode was okay, nothing special. Of the more recent Supergirl episodes I've watched I think "Solitude" was by far the weakest, which you're not up to yet. But on the plus side that's followed by "Falling" and that one's phenomenal.

I was gonna catch up by this weekend but Melissa Benoist and Chyler Leigh cancelled last-minute from the comic con up here, so I'm still two episodes back because pssh, I've got enough shows to catch up on (including iZombie, Daredevil, and Flash for "I want to go to their cast's con panel" reasons).

I liked Childish Things actually :P

But you've still got so much fun stuff to go! "Bizarro", "For the Girl Who Has Everything", "Falling", "World's Finest" and "Manhunter" are all super fun 45 minutes of TV. I can't wait for it to return this week!

Also, @GoGo Yubari, for the love of God, stop everything and just watch iZombie, man!