Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

7 hours ago, DFF said:

I actually enjoyed The Killing Joke adaptation at the cinema. Yes, the prologue went a little long, but I think it served it's purpose. The 'sex scene' is something of a poor description. The sex is just the end result of the scene. Basically, as soon as you see what's going to happen, they cut away to the next scene.

As for the rest of it, it's pretty faithful to the comic! Most of the scenes are straight up lifted from it, dialogue included. I'm not sure what else people were expecting? Or are you all so much on a downer from the Prologue? (Which isn't even that bad).

To be honest for some reason I got the Killing Joke and Under the Red Hood confused for some reason when I started watching it, so I kept on waiting for Robin to show up :P

I mean, it's a pretty shitty comic, but the prologue is basically one of the laziest things I've ever seen in trying to turn a character that was essentially a plot device in the original platform of the story into something more. It was laughable, and then the fact that they completely forget about her once the prologue is over was dumb as fuck.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Gods is actually based off a novel, not a comic book. -1 Lars

Legion I am interested in, seeing it is gonna be the first Marvel based film/series that isn't in either the X-Verse or the MCU. And it has Dan Stevens who I thoroughly enjoyed in The Guest, so i'm certainly gonna be following it.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2016 at 13:50, Jasonmufc said:

American Gods is actually based off a novel, not a comic book. -1 Lars

That reminds me I need to give it a read. Has to be better pool reading than Evangelion fanfiction. 

18 minutes ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

Oh it can't be THAT ba...

HcqORAn.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Some reviews say worse than Fant4stic

Good luck, I din't see that one :D.If I have the time I will go see It soon.Can't be that bad.

Empire 4/5
Guardian 3/5
Total Film 3/5
IGN 5.9/10

Empire's basically admits there are plenty of problems, but enjoyed it enough to give it a 4. Guardian and TF are both 'it's fun but flawed' type reviews. I'm not sure why I included IGN, as their film ratings are laughable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFF said:

Empire 4/5
Guardian 3/5
Total Film 3/5
IGN 5.9/10

Empire's basically admits there are plenty of problems, but enjoyed it enough to give it a 4. Guardian and TF are both 'it's fun but flawed' type reviews. I'm not sure why I included IGN, as their film ratings are laughable.

Agreed, though IGN ratings full stop are laughable.

3 hours ago, angeluzcr said:

Good luck, I din't see that one :D.If I have the time I will go see It soon.Can't be that bad.

"I didn't see the film you mentioned, but this one can't be as bad as it." :P

• Like 1

AVClub's reviewer gave it a C+, basically saying that it was a visually stylish film but that the rest of it wasn't very good. Bad dialogue, way too many flashbacks, and the characters barely interacting with each other were some of his biggest issues.

EDIT: Oh, and Viola Davis was apparently really good as Amanda Waller but c'mon. It's Viola Davis, of course she was damn good.

12 minutes ago, brenchill said:

Why can't the DC Cinematic Universe be good :(

They haven't said their prayers OR ate their vitamins, brother.

Reading that Rolling Stone review, it feels a bit overly harsh to me as if the guy reviewing it is dead-set on completely tearing the film down. So reading between the lines my biggest take-away is that it simply pussy-foots around the fact that the heroes are terrible people, and doesn't fully commit to bringing something really earth-shattering.

I mean, if the film really had wanted to go the extra mile, they'd make it a sociopaths dream with the heroes gleefully running through the bad people with no sense of remorse. But I guess that would put the film right into R-Rated territory, and I got the feeling WB would be completely against such an idea, since PG-13 films have a much easier time breaking even than something more mature.

But as a whole it just feels they once more completely forgot what truly makes Marvel films such an awesome romp to go through, and that is producing intriguing and lasting characters first and foremost. Because if you look at their lesser films like Ultron, Thor 2, and Iron Man 3, they still were carried by great casts and great character writing. And good characters can turn a bad script into a good film.

Shame, really. I want DC to succeed as much as Marvel is, but they just constantly shoot themselves in the foot by never really committing to something. Suicide Squad could've been something completely different from the norm, something that not even Marvel could really emulate (other than doing a Thunderbolts film, maybe...) but they've dropped the ball, again.

Edited by Jasonmufc

On 7/13/2015 at 19:26, zero said:

I'm telling ya now... Leto will be the best live-action Joker ever. 

Just getting ahead of myself before someone else digs this up. :shifty:

• Like 9