Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

Really telling part about why the earlier DC films might be bad

Warners chief Kevin Tsujihara announced the project in October 2014 as part of a slate of 10 DC films stretching into 2020. Though the studio believed there was enough time to get the movie done, a source with ties to the project says it was a sprint from the start. "[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: "It's not just that you've told the public the movie is coming, you've made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It's a really big deal to move a tentpole date."

That basically sounds like the story behind why Iron Man 2 was so shaky.

Still gonna see Suicide Squad, but it's tempting to just wait two weeks until I'm back home so I can see it in theaters for free instead of paying to see it in Oslo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Noah said:

I saw a review of it that seemed to be very positive but one of the reviewer's main criticisms was that the Joker wasn't in it nearly enough. :P

What I read said its little more than a walk on cameo.

And NO ONE will ever be a better live action Joker than Caesar Romero. Heath Ledger's version was the Joker in name only.

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

What I read said its little more than a walk on cameo.

And NO ONE will ever be a better live action Joker than Caesar Romero. Heath Ledger's version was the Joker in name only.

The fact that he wouldn't shave his moustache off for the role makes him even better.

Well, can you blame him? Caesar Romero did have a pimpin' `stache.

The 60's show may have been camp, but it had the best live action versions of the Joker, Riddler (Frank Gorshin. John Astin played the character for a 2-parter and stunk), Penguin and Catwoman (Julie Newmar) that we'll likely ever see. 

21 hours ago, Benji said:

Agreed, though IGN ratings full stop are laughable.

"I didn't see the film you mentioned, but this one can't be as bad as it." :P

As bad as the critics are saying :P.

lol @ suicide squad fan boys trying to get a petition to shut down rotten tomatoes saying they are biased in their reviews. 

1. Rotten Tomatoes doesn't do reviews. They just take reviews and base the score on those reviews.

2. bias? WB own 30% of Rotten Tomatoes, the same WB that helped produce this movie.

Some people just cannot admit that the film sucks.

made this post in the other thread by accident. .but lol @ suicide squad fans

Same shit they pulled with BVS.  Its a hilarious lack of understanding and an incredibly sad defense of a terrible movie.  I really believe it can't be worse than BVS, but if it somehow manages to be, I don't think I'll be seeing a DC movie in the theaters again for a long time.

I tend to trust Empire, Guardian and Total Film when it comes to reviews - between them they tend to land near my own opinions, so I'm actually still looking forward to it.

AV Club's C+ gives me a little bit of hope, because they've given movies I've ended up liking a C+ as well. I don't think this is a Scott Pilgrim situation where it's really that drastically lower from how I'll feel, though.

Well, its better than BVS, that's for sure.  Its nowhere near as good as it could be, but I don't think its nearly as bad as some reviews are making it out to be.  More details..

Holy fuck Warner/DC figure out how to fucking edit a movie so it tells a coherent story.  This is two films in a row that have been a mess because of piss poor editing.  It suffers from the same issues BVS had in that department, it's all over the place in terms of pacing and storytelling.

Way too many flashbacks, but once again, its a symptom of them trying to cover way too much ground in one movie.  And just like BVS they check off a huge list of things they want to cover, and then devote a bunch of time to other shit.  No one was going to see this movie for Rick Flagg, but here he is with one of the biggest story lines in the movie.  Even if they had gotten Tom Hardy to play him, this would have been a bad idea, but its a really bad idea with thoroughly average Joel Kinnaman.  You know what every squad of comic book villains need?  A boring team of marines to tag along with them and take up screen time.  Wooooo.  Devote screen time to the main characters in the movie and them interacting with each other, instead of random soldiers and their generic action hero leader, what a crazy idea.

Cara Delevingne is awful, leading the parade of shitty, uninspired villains (antagonists, not the Suicide Squad) as Enchantress with her unnamed brother and squadron of literal faceless, meaningless henchmen.  The CGI is rough, and that's being generous.  And oh look, yet another movie where the villains shoot a beam up into the sky as part of their evil plan.  Makes of a great shot that we've seen plenty of times already in better movies.  It's all just so underwhelming and average, which is the film's biggest problem.  You had an interesting cast of characters and you give them an incredibly boring, paint by numbers story.  Most of the time its just a bunch of DC villains stuck in generic action movie.  I have no idea if its going to get a sequel, but if they do, I'm already worried its just going to be a repeat of this one.  

But, having said all that, it didn't give me the visceral "this is fucking awful" feeling I got from BVS.  Its just underwhelming.  But Margot Robie is good, Will Smith is Will Smith, Viola Davis is great, Jay Hernandez does a good job and Jai Courtney isn't in it long enough to ruin anything.  Also, there's some Batfleck, which is always nice, and an unexpected Flash cameo, that is 100% more coherent than his appearance in BVS.  As for Leto's Joker, I'm just not entirely sure, as he isn't in the film nearly enough.  I didn't hate him, he's got the mannerisms and the eyes down pretty great, and there's definitely a creepiness factor.    Voice is alright, he does tend to mumble a lot of his lines and I'm not sold on his laugh.  But you don't really get a sense of him being as crazy and unpredictable as one would expect the Joker to be.  But again, he's not in the movie very much, so its hard to really judge. 

This could have been so much better, and maybe Ayer's version would have been.  Or it could have been even more of a generic action flick than this one is.  If they were shooting for Guardians of the Galaxy, they missed the mark completely.  This would have been like taking the characters of GOTG and placing them into any random generic sci-fi TV series.  Your source material is an interesting world, populated by interesting characters, stop fucking shying away from in favor of generic shit.

TL;DR DC Cinematic Universe is still in deep shit, but at least this one is kind of watchable.  And it isn't fucking 3 hours long.

• Like 1

I saw it last night at an employee screening at my theatre. Was it better than BVS? Yes. Did I enjoy it? Kinda, yes. Would I see it again? Umm...no. Movie was just...ok for me. Everyone else that watched it (around 30 other employees) all jumped up and down when it was done, saying it was one of the best DC movies ever made. Mind you, almost everyone there are DC fans (and flat out HATE Marvel movies), you can see why. Also, got asked what I thought of the movie, said it was ok and got called an idiot and that I didn't know what a good movie was.

Anyways, important thing, it was ok. Margot Robbie was great as Quinn and I liked Leto as the Joker (all about 10 minutes of him). Other than that, didn't really like anything else...well, Viola Davis was awesome because...Viola Davis. The ones who haven't got to see it yet, you'll like it. You might not love it, but it is worth a watch.