Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

23 minutes ago, TKz said:

Basically every Marvel villain outside of Loki is about the same level of writing. I'm really not interested in getting into an argument about this, but it's pretty universally agreed upon the Marvel films have villains with barely any focus. My point isn't that Enchantress was better than any of those, just that if you took that exact same villain and chucked her in a Marvel film as the villain, it'd be pretty par the course.

I think the only thing that did bore me about the film was the sheer amount of Rick Flagg. Dude was super boring and the focus was on him way too much. I think the film would have been better served with him being kidnapped and taken out of action early on and just going all in on Deadshot being the lead.

Flagg having to rely on Deadshot to get him out of trouble would have actually been a better angle for the film. 

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to put off seeing Suicide Squad for a couple of weeks so I can go to a nicer cinema, that's further away and I can have a good day out.

Rather heartened by hearing my overly critical friend Justin really enjoyed it. He's hated every Daniel Craig Bond movie, all Nolan Batman movies, BatmanVSSuperman and many others but he really enjoyed Suicide Squad. So if it managed to impress him, it can't be the worst movie ever made at least. :P

20 hours ago, TKz said:

Basically every Marvel villain outside of Loki is about the same level of writing. I'm really not interested in getting into an argument about this, but it's pretty universally agreed upon the Marvel films have villains with barely any focus. My point isn't that Enchantress was better than any of those, just that if you took that exact same villain and chucked her in a Marvel film as the villain, it'd be pretty par the course.

I think the only thing that did bore me about the film was the sheer amount of Rick Flagg. Dude was super boring and the focus was on him way too much. I think the film would have been better served with him being kidnapped and taken out of action early on and just going all in on Deadshot being the lead.

Well Loki is the only villain thats had more then 1 movie to be established tbf

2 hours ago, Lint said:

Well Loki is the only villain thats had more then 1 movie to be established tbf

yeah, but they also really got him right in the first Thor film -- to the point where it would've been silly not to use him again. The Marvel films definitely have villain problems, and especially for 2nd and 3rd instalments of films, they should look to The Dark Knight as to how build villains once your hero is established. 

Suicide Squad:

Spoiler

I thought it was a bad movie but a fun bad movie. Enjoyed a lot of the cast, especially Viola Davis who is every bit as perfect an Amanda Waller as I'd hoped. None of the relationships felt real at all aside from Deadshot and his daughter, and in most cases I felt like anyone not named Deadshot, Waller, and maybe Rick Flagg were making decisions because the story told them to. Some of the stylistic flourishes were fun too, like the introductory profiles for all the members of the team except for Slipknot, who I thought was an absolute missed opportunity to surprise the audience at least a little.

I also thought Enchantress was kind of a shitty villain, really not much better than the low-tier Marvel villains TKz listed at all. Too much dramatic weight hinged on watching Cara Delevingne writhe around and lip-sync. Like, yeah, she's better than fucking Malekith, but what isn't? (EDIT: should be noted, though, that any scene with her and her brother I couldn't understand because the subtitles were in Norwegian)

Leto Joker is the worst live action Joker. Not... I guess terrible, objectively? But it's exactly the type of performance you'd fear when you read about the non-stop method acting bullshit behind the scenes. It's a bad marriage of Cesar Romero's tone and Heath Ledger's voice/mannerisms.

• Like 2

I've only read the headline, but Leto's saying there was so much Joker stuff cut from Suicide Squad that they could make a Joker movie with all the cut scenes.

I had no problem at all with the Leto-interpretation of the Joker. To me, that's just what he looks like in this universe - it doesn't affect what my preferred Joker would look like (sort of Arkham Asylum-esque). It's just what it is, and Leto played it well.

Well Suicide Squad wasn't half as bad as I was expecting but maybe I'm just being biased since I am admittedly more of a DC fan then Marvel and I am pulling for them to find some success in building a film universe.

Outside of the fact that you can tell at times its clearly two films put together my only grievance with the film is Amanda Waller and that comes down to never really digging the character in general more then how she's presented here.

Also I love how Killer Croc and Boomerang just become best bros for life. I want more of Boomerang just being a hooligan with Croc as his heavy.

2 minutes ago, WeAreOne said:

Outside of the fact that you can tell at times its clearly two films put together my only grievance with the film is Amanda Waller and that comes down to never really digging the character in general more then how she's presented here.

That's a little surprising to me, as I thought Viola Davis killed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Latino Heat said:

Anyone ordered a new Luke Cage trailer?

giphy.gif

I like that they seem to be completely cool to acknowledge the blaxploitative angle of the series and character, by taking the best parts, and really giving it a unique style compared to Jessica Jones and Daredevil. 

Also the nod to the old-school outfit with the metal tiara and wrist-guards was spot on.

I think Luke Cage is gonna be just another super successful Marvel-Netflix collaboration.

• Like 3