Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Seeing Cage in work clothes at the start just brings me back to wishing for Terry Crews.

Linky

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

hahahaha Suicide Squad was so bad. 

like, I was laughing-at-it bad. 

and I thought BvS was alright, for what it's worth. 

What did you think was so bad about it? I'm intrigued because I hated BvS and enjoyed Suicide Squad.

I mean, basically everything. Like the execution of basically every component. The soundtrack is absolutely horrible, often used to play over/under scenes, presumably to try and distract from the lack of chemistry or the horrible dialogue. There's barely any story, very little coherency and like no character development. The film just felt so dead; no spirit, no tension, no drama. At first it was kinda fun, then it go hilariously bad and then it just got dull. Will Smith was okay, maybe. Margot Robbie could've been decent if they'd have filtered out some of the awful stuff had been written for her. I was honestly laughing at it. I think my justification for not liking it doesn't really reflect how I felt about it; which was basically laughing at the memory of it all the way home. 

I always thought BvS was flawed, but it tried to actually tell a story. It took itself a little too seriously, and got trapped in that end of the world shit, but there were at least interesting conflicts, a lot of pretty decent acting and tried to address some pretty interesting things about the knock-on effects of someone like Superman existing. 

• Like 2

For me, personally, I'd say that Suicide Squad is probably a more poorly-made movie that I had some fun with and BvS was a movie that was probably competently made that I absolutely couldn't stand because of the tone and approach. Of the two, I would rewatch Suicide Squad again first in a heartbeat. It's probably the answer I didn't have when that "what's your favorite bad movie?" thread popped up (though if I really had to take an honest look back at my childhood I'm sure I could find a better one).

The soundtrack is definitely like... there are a lot of songs that are there just to be there. Why in the world was "Without Me" by Eminem playing during the suiting up sequence, beyond "our target audience will remember this song fondly?"

5 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

For me, personally, I'd say that Suicide Squad is probably a more poorly-made movie that I had some fun with and BvS was a movie that was probably competently made that I absolutely couldn't stand because of the tone and approach. Of the two, I would rewatch Suicide Squad again first in a heartbeat. It's probably the answer I didn't have when that "what's your favorite bad movie?" thread popped up (though if I really had to take an honest look back at my childhood I'm sure I could find a better one).

The soundtrack is definitely like... there are a lot of songs that are there just to be there. Why in the world was "Without Me" by Eminem playing during the suiting up sequence, beyond "our target audience will remember this song fondly?"

Hahaha yeah this, I laughed a lot at that. 

And the elevator one that cued before we even realised Harley was in an elevator. 

• Like 1

Oh god, I had completely forgotten about "Without Me." That was awful.

My main complaint was that the movie seemed to go from the beginning (the introduction of everyone) to the end (save the City!) straight away. I guess I hated BvS because I expected so much more, I had been waiting for it since it was first mentioned back in like 2008 or something. And after all that waiting, we got... that pile of misery. I just think Suicide Squad was at least fun.

Edited by brenchill

The soundtrack was one of the things that me and my friend both commented on straight away before anything else. It was just... laughably bad in spots, Eminems cameo being the most hilariously "whaa?" I didn't mind the idea of something "thematic" on introductions but then every few minutes when things started moving again and there seemed to be "shove in a quick pop song now" which took you straight out again. Part of me wonders is if the reshoots meant that a score had to be thrown out due to cues changing or if that was always the plan.

The other take home for me was that I don't think I want to see much more of Letos Joker. Maybe he was overcompensating and trying to make an impact in his relatively small part but don't know if I could take two hours of that...

Was that a Run The Jewels song in the new Luke Cage trailer? Kinda sounded like El-P.

EDIT: Miike Snow ft. Run The Jewels.

9 hours ago, lanky316 said:

The soundtrack was one of the things that me and my friend both commented on straight away before anything else. It was just... laughably bad in spots, Eminems cameo being the most hilariously "whaa?" I didn't mind the idea of something "thematic" on introductions but then every few minutes when things started moving again and there seemed to be "shove in a quick pop song now" which took you straight out again. Part of me wonders is if the reshoots meant that a score had to be thrown out due to cues changing or if that was always the plan.

The other take home for me was that I don't think I want to see much more of Letos Joker. Maybe he was overcompensating and trying to make an impact in his relatively small part but don't know if I could take two hours of that...

He supposedly had loads of material cut from what they shot.

I can't tell if it was Leto that was really bad, or just how it was written, but I wasn't enjoying his time on screen at all. His voice and demeanour were kind of dumb and that scene of him laying on the ground surrounded by knives was hilariously bad.

Yeah, it's.... tough. I would blame the script first and foremost, though, because it seems very much like the intent was always "what if the Joker were basically just a really deranged Spooky Kid with a gang," and if that's the intent then, well, Leto more or less played that. Most of those Joker/Harley scenes sounded like they could have been "we're edgy, we're not like those boring normal couples" AIM chatlogs from 2002.

This is an interesting partial look into how the studio's reaction to the BvS reactions may have adversely effected the movie. Also some blather about the whole critical response debate that I don't care about as much, but still.

• Like 2

A friend had a ticket open so I decided to go - I wasn't really feeling the movie at all but I felt the need to see it if I was going to talk about it.

I really couldn't stand anything about this film - especially Harley Quinn but especially Joker. I get that Margot Robbie is a great actress and she did the best with what she had - but the grating and 'OMG HAHA SO RANDOM' nature of everything they had her do was just not in line with anything that I wanted to see. But I knew that... and I knew going in that I wasn't going to get anywhere neat the Joker that I wanted. Ever since seeing BVS and eyeing some of the background elements (like the Robin costume) I eased up a bit and went along with the idea at the time that Leto's Joker wasn't THE Joker but instead someone who idolized him.

And yeah - it really, really seemed like he was an afterthought anyways. The person I saw it with (and the Funhaus discussion of the film that I just watched) hoped at some point that he was a figment of Quinn's imagination since it seemed like he was ONLY ever in the same room with Robbie acting.

On 8/10/2016 at 11:17, lanky316 said:

Sounds to me they tried to emulate the style of GOTG and Deadpool, without any of the charm, good timing, and most of all good set-list choice to go with it.

Deadpool had like a handful of recognizable songs in the entire film, but they were added in such a way that the song fit the theme of whatever was going on (see. in-car beatdown with DMX over it). Additionally, Deadpool used a lot of those songs for ironic effect like using a hilariously out-of-place 'Mr. Sandman' to dub over the whole mutation-torture stuff.

Guardians had a dozens great tracks, but they were built into the actual film through Quill's walk-man and mixtapes, and it added an unforgettable charm that made the film great.

Suicide Squad seems like they just threw in random tracks to show how 'zany and different' they were, without any sort of context or charm to go along with what made the films they emulated so great.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

I finally managed to go and watch Suicide Squad tonight. I didn't hate it, I didn't leave at the end hating the fact that I had spent money to watch it like I did with BvS (except for the Joker's parts, because holy fuck was he awful), but I didn't like it either, it was just... there. I do feel it's a huge missed opportunity, though.