Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

6 hours ago, Noah said:

I've yet to see Suicide Squad but 'Worst Movie of the Year.' according to Rolling Stone seems ridiculously harsh.

Its ridiculously harsh considering Batman V Superman came out this year.

• Like 10

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been confirmed that part of Thor: Ragnarok takes place on the planet Sakaar. People who read the Planet Hulk comics might recognize this as being the planet Hulk crashlanded on.

• Like 3

Casting call for extras in Infinity War went out and detailed some of the heros appearing in it.  Nothing surprising I imagine, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case

Starring in “Avengers: Infinity War” is BAFTA Award nominee Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Academy Award nominee Josh Brolin as Thanos, Saturn Award Winner Chris Pratt as Star Lord / Peter Quill, Teen Choice Awards nominee Sebastian Stan as Bucky, four-time Golden Globe Award nominee Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow, Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange, Academy Award winner Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel, ALMA Award winner Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Empire Award winner Karen Gillan as Nebula, two-time Academy Award nominee Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye, two-time Saturn Award nominee Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America, BAFTA Awards nominee Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet, four-time Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon, Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee Vin Diesel as Groot, Academy Award nominee Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man, British Independent Film Awards nominee Benedict Wong as Wong, Action on Film Award winner Dave Bautista as Drax, BAFTA Film Award nominee Paul Bettany as Vision, Santa Barbara International Film Festival Virtuoso Award winner Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa / Black Panther, three-time Academy Award nominee Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk, and two-time Academy Award nominee Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man.

Oh wait, there is one surprise there I suppose, after re-reading it

3 hours ago, Happy HoLintdays said:

Casting call for extras in Infinity War went out and detailed some of the heros appearing in it.  Nothing surprising I imagine, but I'll put it in spoilers just in case

Hide contents

Oh wait, there is one surprise there I suppose, after re-reading it

There's also one omission:

Spoiler

Spider-Man. Though it is thought he'll pop up in Avengers 4.

On the topic of Marvel, with the latest info from Thor: Ragnarok, do we think Avengers 4 could actually be:

Spoiler

World War Hulk

after all?

• Like 1

On 12/18/2016 at 01:06, Noah said:

I've yet to see Suicide Squad but 'Worst Movie of the Year.' according to Rolling Stone seems ridiculously harsh.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the reason why they proclaimed it the worst movie of the year was because the hype for the movie was so well done it got people extremely excited and many thinking it was going to be an excellent film; only for it to end up being an average, at best, jumbled mess.

I hate that people can't seem to separate bad movies from disappointing movies. The DC movies have been disappointing, but in the grand scheme of things, I've seen at least a dozen movies in the past year that are worse than those two. They just don't get advertised as much, so people forget about them.

The DC films haven't been great, and I'm personally in the group that would have done them significantly differently to what we received... but there IS a difference between bad and disappointing.

Eh, Suicide Squad was the worst film I've seen this year - it was a mess from start to finish, pathetically made and with a hilarious and equally ridiculous soundtrack. It was also just incredibly dull. I wouldn't even mention it in the same conversation as the new Fantastic 4, which I thought was half-decent before a horrible third act and BvS which was definitely flawed but was packed full of ambitious ideas, good intentions and worked in some fantastic imagery and managed some good stuff. What did Suicide Squad even try to do / say? There was no vision that I could detect, it was just a pointless mess. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 4

I just rewatched Suicide Squad last night, and yeah, it's a pretty huge mess. Everything about Enchantress was done horribly. It's all so rushed that even on the second time watching I was confused and trying to piece together everything in the first act of the movie with her starting the "plot" of the big bad. That was worse than anything about her and her brother's motives it being one dimensional. Everything about her was a catastrophe, including of course her brother just happening to be with Waller too and them figuring out, "yes, she has a heart somewhere and we can control it!". Just so rushed and forced, but of course, that's the epitome of the DCEU.

Upon second watching, I do like the Rick Flagg character and arc. However, definitely didn't need him to take up so much screen time because it took away from too many other characters. Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc, and most of all Katana were terribly one dimensional. While there was just enough to enjoy the first two, they were still very one dimensional. 

I really enjoyed Will Smith in the movie, more so the second time around. Margot Robbie and Olivia Davis both gave great performances too. I still really didn't like Leto as The Joker either. He wasn't in it enough for my opinion to be concrete, but his overall look and presentation are just so awful it instantly set him back.

• Like 1

Watched Suicide Squad the other night with the wife.  After initially shitting on BvS we've given it several re-watches and it's come to fall "in the middle" ... it was highly disappointing and swung and missed on quite a bit, BUT with re-watches does pull of its own entertaining qualities.  Also, it has us pumped for Wonder Woman.  SS though?  Ugh ... my comic fanboyism will be the only reason I ever watch this again.  It was just bad.  Choppy, mangled, someone playing a cool playlist in the background, a couple of decent acting performances tossed about, something about this powerful being that somehow needs to be told where the armies are? .... eh.  I mean the majority of the "big" squad gathering is just going in to get Waller?  It sucked because the bar scene SHOULD have been really good (and is in a vacuum) but falls beyond flat because when it's over, you go "oh yeah they've still got the whole thing to do" ...

... it's really bad.  While one of the redeeming aspects of the movie, Harley is forced (terribly so at times) here and there and Margot falls in and out of the classic animated Harley and whatever version is in this movie.  No reason to give a crap about Flag(g) and the nice Dr lady ... OH HEY LOOK KATANA ... and on and on.

• 2 weeks later...