The Capital One Cup 2012/13 Thread

Lineker

• Admin

Newly-promoted Fleetwood Town have been handed a first-round clash with four-time winners Nottingham Forest in the League Cup.

The Cod Army will play in the Football League for the first time in their history after promotion last season .

Ties are scheduled to be played in the week beginning 13 August.

The competition, won by Liverpool last season, has been rebranded the Capital One Cup after the League agreed a new four-year sponsorship deal.

It had been sponsored by brewers Molson Coors since 1998 and branded as the Carling Cup since 2003.

Fleetwood chief executive Steve Curwood told BBC Radio Lancashire: "It doesn't get much better than that in our first fixture as a Football League club.

"There are three or four clubs you might have picked and Forest are definitely one of those. We're pinching ourselves again. The journey continues."

The draw also sees relegated Premier League side Wolves hosting League Two's Aldershot Town and a Lancashire derby between Blackpool and Morecambe.

All Championship sides are in the draw - bar Bolton and Blackburn who enter in the second round after being relegated from the top flight - as League One side Bury host Middlesbrough and Leeds welcome Shrewsbury Town to Elland Road.

Premier League clubs will enter the competition in the second round except for the seven teams that have qualified for Europe, including 2012 winners Liverpool .

Barnet will travel to 2011 winners Birmingham City, while Championship side Watford host League Two's Wycombe and Barnsley manager Keith Hill gets a trip back to his former club Rochdale.

While the competition is set to begin in the week commencing 13 August, the Football League will consider requests to play on Saturday 11 or Sunday 12 should clubs mutually agree.

The full draw:

Derby County v Scunthorpe United

Rochdale v Barnsley

Port Vale v Burnley

Notts County v Bradford City

Hull City v Rotherham United

Fleetwood Town v Nottingham Forest

Carlisle United v Accrington Stanley

Doncaster Rovers v York City

Crewe Alexandra v Hartlepool United

Bury v Middlesbrough

Chesterfield v Tranmere Rovers

Sheffield United v Burton Albion

Blackpool v Morecambe

Leeds United v Shrewsbury Town

Preston North End v Huddersfield Town

Oldham Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday

Cheltenham Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Ipswich Town v Bristol Rovers

Stevenage v AFC Wimbledon

Exeter City v Crystal Palace

Yeovil Town v Colchester United

Birmingham City v Barnet

Bristol City v Gillingham

Northampton Town v Cardiff City

Plymouth Argyle v Portsmouth

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aldershot Town

Walsall v Brentford

Millwall v Crawley Town

Torquay United v Leicester City

Dagenham & Redbridge v Coventry City

Peterborough United v Southend United

Swindon Town v Brighton & Hove Albion

Watford v Wycombe Wanderers

Charlton Athletic v Leyton Orient

Oxford United v AFC Bournemouth

Home to Accrington is a bit dull for Carlisle, hopefully they can get through it and draw one of the big teams at home but most likely they'll just get a League One team and lose to them.

As for when Sunderland come in, not really sure what I want! I'd like a League Two team at home just for the atmosphere and to see them fans come to the Stadium of Light and the like. Similarly a very close away game to Oldham or Rochdale or something that I could maybe get to would be good fun too. Hopefully we don't go out to Brighton again. :shifty:

Looking forward to playing York again, will be a good chance to see our new squad in action. The game has been shifted to the preceding Saturday, a week before the start of the league season, as I believe has the Leeds v Shrewsbury game.

Wasn't this announced like a week ago? I'm sure I already knew we were playing Shrewsbury... Unless I'm psychic. :unsure:

Not too bothered if we lose this to be honest though, we've had plenty of big cup games recently, I'd much rather we focused on promotion and got to play the big teams every year anyway.

The U.S. has a Capital One Cup as well, it's a year long competition among all college athletic departments to see who acquires the most "points" and then they win some scholarship award or something.

That's what I thought this topic was about, and I was wondering why anyone would make a topic about it.

Horrible name for the tournament. I didn't mind Carling Cup, it was a corporate sponsor whose name at least sounded like it fit. Capital One Cup is just a glaring sponsorship.

Does anyone really care what it's called? Fucking hell, it used to be called the Milk Cup and the Rumbelows Cup.

I was going to say this.

Yeah, I'm really not bothered what it's called. It doesn't even sound bad, it's barely different from Carling Cup.

You think I cared about the name when we won the Johnstones Paint Trophy? Not in the slightest.

Edited by AdamDRFC

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

English football is back tomorrow! We have Bury/Middlesbrough, Carlisle/Accrington, Cheltenham/MK Dons, Crewe/Hartlepool, Doncaster/York, Hull/Rotherham, Leeds/Shrewsbury, Notts County/Bradford, Rochdale/Barnsley, Sheffield United/Burton, Walsall/Brentford, Watford/Wycombe, and Wolves/Aldershot.

The only problem with this name is the temptation to abbreviate it to its initials and talk about teams battling it out in pursuit of the cock.

Then the inevitable discussions over whether the weak teams United and City put out suggest that they're not really interested in the cock and how Arsenal are the only big team for really want the cock due to being without for so many years...etc.

• Like 1