Great shows that got bad, then got good again

zero

Heroes. Season one was pretty awesome, season two dipped and it felt like they were just treading water until the fourth season, which was pretty good.

This. Season four wasn't without fault, but it's jump in quality from S2 and S3 was fantastic. The entire carnival arc was great. I would have loved it more if...

... Noah or Claire had died, preferably Claire.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one that fits individual seasons, but I found it interesting that Veronica Mars was really no good in season 3 until the arc that tied up the end of the show. It was like cancellation freed them from annoying strawmen and storylines with muddled messages.

It probably was. The CW destroyed the show.

I'm gonna say Twin Peaks. The first season and a half are some of the best television I've ever watched.

But after

the reveal of Laura Palmer's murder

the show took a real notable dip in quality, to the point where it was a bit of a struggle to make it through a few episodes, only for the last few episodes to go back to being fantastic - with one of the best finales ever.

Pah, I liked House throughout. Every series had something different going for it and really liked every different angle they took. I could name a few top quality, excellent episodes from every series.

Whilst I probably side with you on this discussion, I think...

The entire Cuddy storyline became shit in season five - the hallucination thing in the finale was actually good on it's own merit, but it never quite went in an interesting direction that wasn't more "Oh no, they can't be be together cause work/baby/lucas/prison". They missed so many chances to put the two together, and whilst I can't say I ever really wanted Cuddy/House, when it did come, it was far too late. I also think the final seasons (five through eight) suffered from having to do twenty odd seasons every year, and they became burnt out. BUT, the episode with Mos Def was quality (Locked In). Each season has great episodes, although you get that more with the episodic nature of House MD much more than you would if they didn't have that formula to fall back on.

it got me thinking about how bad Angel got in Season 4,

I agree with that 100%. Annoyed me how much the people behind the scenes big upped it. Something about how every season has a few clunkers in it but that they reckoned that season 4 was pretty close to perfect.

Also agree with you about Angel season 5. Was a rather unique twist and I found myself really getting into it.

I kinda liked Season 4. Thought it was an interesting story.

I'm gonna say Twin Peaks. The first season and a half are some of the best television I've ever watched.

But after

the reveal of Laura Palmer's murder

the show took a real notable dip in quality, to the point where it was a bit of a struggle to make it through a few episodes, only for the last few episodes to go back to being fantastic - with one of the best finales ever.

I completely disagree with this. Unless you mean, like, one episode. Because, yeah, there was like one episode in the transition period that wasn't as great as the rest of the series. Even then I wouldn't say any of the episodes sucked.

Eh, I think the few that followed the spoiler tagged events weren't great while they tried to find their feet again. I definitely wouldn't say they sucked, I still enjoyed them to an extent, but for me, it was a very noticeable dip in quality; which is probably more of a testament to the shows quality earlier in the series.

And

I know Kyle had a problem with it or something, but Audrey and Agent Cooper should've got together, though I did end up liking Heather Graham's character, but that really should've been a thing.

But, don't get me wrong, I loved the show.

Heroes. Season one was pretty awesome, season two dipped and it felt like they were just treading water until the fourth season, which was pretty good.

This. Season four wasn't without fault, but it's jump in quality from S2 and S3 was fantastic. The entire carnival arc was great. I would have loved it more if...

I enjoyed season 3 :shifty:

Ew! She's in high school...I didn't like her eventual love interest, but I liked she crush on Coop. But that's all it should have ever been, a child-like crush, seeing as she is practically a child.

I haven't seen the show, but Heather Graham can't have been a child when Twin Peaks was on. She'd have been in her early twenties?

Ew! She's in high school...I didn't like her eventual love interest, but I liked she crush on Coop. But that's all it should have ever been, a child-like crush, seeing as she is practically a child.

I haven't seen the show, but Heather Graham can't have been a child when Twin Peaks was on. She'd have been in her early twenties?

Oh no, Graham came on the show near the end of the run as Coop's love interest. Before that, around the first and early second season, a high schooler named Audrey had a schoolgirl crush on Coop, to which Split is referring. To be fair, the actress was 25 when the show started, but she was playing a high school student with a crush on a 35 year-old FBI agent.

If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it. It's by David Lynch (Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, etc), is only two seasons long, and is a great mix of camp, horror, drama, thrills, mystery, and soap opera-y goodness.

I guess you could say this applies to Chuck.

The first season was good but was still finding its footing. The second was one of the best seasons of any TV show ever. Scott Bakula was tremendous as Papa Bartowski in general but especially that season. The third was still pretty good. There's a huge difference in quality when you marathon watch it instead of waiting week to week. That's true for a lot of shows but it seemed especially so with that season. The fourth season was pretty rough. I wouldn't say bad because I have a hard time condemning something that resulted in Timothy Dalton being awesome as fuck as Alexii Volkoff but it was clearly nowhere near as good as it was previously and was incredibly inconsistent. The last season was really solid with the second half of the season being pretty tremendous.

Oh no, Graham came on the show near the end of the run as Coop's love interest. Before that, around the first and early second season, a high schooler named Audrey had a schoolgirl crush on Coop, to which Split is referring. To be fair, the actress was 25 when the show started, but she was playing a high school student with a crush on a 35 year-old FBI agent.

If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it. It's by David Lynch (Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, etc), is only two seasons long, and is a great mix of camp, horror, drama, thrills, mystery, and soap opera-y goodness.

I've heard good things about it and have definitely been meaning to check it out, also helps that it's on netflix. Think I'll bump it up actually now that I've got to wait three weeks for more breaking bad (watching with gf, she's in scotland). I have a soft spot for camp soap opera-esque shows that aren't shit.

Blah blah blah Chuck spoilers.

This doesn't affect me since I've seen the show, but the first post says no spoilers. You then post spoilers. I'd give you a slow clap, but I'd be wasting a google search on someone who can't be bothered to tag their posts.

This doesn't affect me since I've seen the show, but the first post says no spoilers. You then post spoilers. I'd give you a slow clap, but I'd be wasting a google search on someone who can't be bothered to tag their posts.

...none of that was spoilers.

I enjoyed season 3 :shifty:

S3's saving grace was Danko, just like S2's was Adam Munroe. Without them, I doubt I would've made it to S4

...none of that was spoilers.

WELL, you could argue that the T-Dolt thing about his character is.

And yes, I call him T-Dolt. We're buddies.

But it's not. If I said

**actual Chuck spoilers**

His real name was Hartley Winterbottom and he was the first Intersect.

then that would be a spoiler but anybody who looks him up the cast on IMDb would know the character's name. It's not even close to being a spoiler.

He isn't introduced as that character. At all. he's a good guy spy who fumbles around. it's quite clear he's Timothy Dalton. If I had that spoiled for me, I would be giving you so much abuse I'd probably get banned. Might not matter to you, but I like to be surprised when the good guy turns bad.