The Wire Appreciation Thread

How should we handle Spoilers  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be spoiler tags?

Omar's death is one of the absolute, most perfect scenes in the entire show. It shows that death isn't something that comes when the story demands it, it's scary and it's random. Though what lends it poetic justice is that Kenard is the kid that's playing at being Omar in Season 3, so it plays into the whole theme of Season 5 of nothing being resolved, and everything coming full circle.

Also, Snoop is fucking brilliant. I love her.

• Like 1

Snoop Pearson is a perfect example of why The Wire is such a perfect show. Upon first watch of the series, I didn't even notice her and Chris' appearances in Season 3, to the point where I was shocked upon my second viewing of the series when I noticed them. I barely could understand a word she said, at first had difficulty telling whether she was a man or a woman and just wanted her to die so much.

Upon a second complete viewing, she grew on me and I just went through everything for a third time and I love her. The scene where she bought that nail gun is the only scene in the history of The Wire that can even come close to Bunk & McNulty's "motherfucker" scene. Her death scene is by far the greatest death in The Wire. For the rest of my life, when I hear T-Pain & Akon's "Bartender," I will think of Snoop Pearson saying "How my hair look, Mike?"

No other TV show would have a real life gangster like her, basically play herself on TV and play such a central role for 2 seasons. Even a show like The Sopranos, they would use actors from the New York/New Jersey area, but no actual real mobsters. The fact that David Simon found somebody like her and just let her be and shine on TV is why there will never be another show like The Wire. Even your critically acclaimed shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men can never achieve that.

• Like 1

Snoop Pearson is a perfect example of why The Wire is such a perfect show. Upon first watch of the series, I didn't even notice her and Chris' appearances in Season 3, to the point where I was shocked upon my second viewing of the series when I noticed them. I barely could understand a word she said, at first had difficulty telling whether she was a man or a woman and just wanted her to die so much.

Upon a second complete viewing, she grew on me and I just went through everything for a third time and I love her. The scene where she bought that nail gun is the only scene in the history of The Wire that can even come close to Bunk & McNulty's "motherfucker" scene. Her death scene is by far the greatest death in The Wire. For the rest of my life, when I hear T-Pain & Akon's "Bartender," I will think of Snoop Pearson saying "How my hair look, Mike?"

No other TV show would have a real life gangster like her, basically play herself on TV and play such a central role for 2 seasons. Even a show like The Sopranos, they would use actors from the New York/New Jersey area, but no actual real mobsters. The fact that David Simon found somebody like her and just let her be and shine on TV is why there will never be another show like The Wire. Even your critically acclaimed shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men can never achieve that.

That nail gun scene is great. The honesty and earnestness of the sales person, and the look and reaction from him when he finally starts realizing that this person may be buying this nail gun for something other then construction...I loved that. Snoop and Chris are awesome.

Ziggy is one the reasons why Season 2 grows on after a 2nd watch. On the surface, he's this annoying shit who you to just go away but on a 2nd watch, man...watching his story arc play out is just sad. That's one character I would have liked to see an update on in Season 5.

Just saw episode 11 of season 2 and

Glad, Brother Mouzune didn't die yet, Omar is a total badass though, also I hate that greek guy in the FBI, I though finally they will shut down a big gang and now that he called that old greek guy I'm sure Frank will die. Maybe Nick will talk then? and Herc and Carver still stealing money that they find? Those guys must be rich by now. I am surely going to watch the season finale today and I am starting straight away with season 3

I have seen 3 episodes of season 3 now and liking this season thus far too.

too bad I haven't seen more of Brother Man, glad Omar is back though. That scene that he went in dressed like a old man was great. Lot of new faces though, is that guy who plays that dude who wants to work together with Burrel, little finger from Game of Thrones?

I am also interested how the war between stringer and marlo will play out