The Download Festival Thread

DFF

Corey Taylor is pulling double duty - Stone Sour have just been announced. They'll be playing the Sunday main stage, beneath Gaslight Anthem.

Is there any chance they'll broadcast this festival via internet?

I doubt it. They used to host a live stream, but the added costs of setting up the servers and the hassle of having to get the bands to sign the relevant paperwork meant that they decided to stop doing it a couple of years ago. The last time it happened was in 2009.

• 1 month later...
Latest announcement:
Limp Bizkit
Jimmy Eat World
Down
Korn
Asking Alexandria
Parkway Drive
Motionless in White
Young Guns
Cancer Bats
Hacktivist
Enter Shikari
Five Finger Death Punch
Walking Papers
Huntress
Hardcore Superstar
Converge
Airbourne
Amon Amarth
Black Dogs
In this Moment
HellYeah
I AM I
Last Witness
The Hives
Heaven’s Basement
Earthtone9
3 Doors Down
Goldsboro
UFO
Vision of Disorder
The Sword
Buffalo Summer
No word on the lineup placements yet, but it's been revealed that Korn will be performing with Head playing bass.

My friend texted me yesterday asking if I wanted to go, and for some reason, I just don't.

I'm not interested in any of the headliners (and I know he likes Iron Maiden) and the acts before them (I don't mind QOTSA but have grown out of them). I think the only bands I want to see are The Gaslight Anthem, Alice in Chains and Limp Bizkit. The fact that Limp Bizkit are second stage and no day announced concerns me.

I used to like FFDP but I'm not fussed any more, so Gaslight would be the only band I'd want to see that day - couldn't be less enthused about Stone Sour and Slipknot playing. How long would Gaslight in 3rd position get for their set? 45 minutes? Not worth it.

As Alice in Chains are on the Saturday, and far down on the list, they'd get even less time, and whilst Motorhead are playing afterwards it's more of a ZOMG MOTORHEAD rather than actually really liking Motorhead.

There a couple of other bands I like a couple of songs by (ie. Jimmy Eat World, Slipknot's "Duality", The Sword (who we've both seen support Metallica in '09 anyway)) just doesn't fill me with much anticipation or make me feel like it'd be worth it.

Aside from the actual line-up, going with the person who asked me (and he's not indicated he's asked anyone else, even if there was I'd have to organise it because he won't) doesn't sway me either. Our music tastes would clash and I really wouldn't want to spend 3 days in a tent with him, and at gigs - much like when we go to a club - he just stands there, no form of revelry or singing along.

Basically, I think I just wanted to write down the reasons why I didn't want to go for myself. :shifty: I know Gaslight Anthem still have tickets for their Bristol & London shows in March so I may just see if anyone (who isn't him :shifty:) would be interested.

So... confirmed band days/stages:

Friday

Main Stage: Slipknot, Bullet For My Valentine, KoRn, Down, Papa Roach, Asking Alexandria

2nd Stage: Headliner TBC --- 3 Doors Down, Volbeat

3rd Stage: HIM --- Converge, Motionless in White

Saturday

Main Stage: Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stoneage, Motorhead, Alice in Chains, Mastodon, Young Guns, UFO

2nd Stage: Enter Shikari, Jimmy Eat World (2nd stage finishes before Maiden starts, so Shikari clash with QOTSA and JEW with Motorhead)

3rd Stage: The Hives (will clash with Maiden).

Also playing Saturday, but stage unknown: Walking Papers

Sunday

Main Stage: Rammstein, 30 Seconds to Mars, The Gaslight Anthem, Stone Sour, Parkway Drive, Five Finger Death Punch, Coal Chamber, Cancer Bats

2nd Stage: Limp Bizkit --- A Day To Remember, Airbourne, Amon Amarth

3rd Stage:

Also playing Sunday, but stage unknown: Vision of Disorder, In This Moment, Hellyeah.

Updated to add Papa Roach.

Edited by Jean D(FF)ujardin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PAPA ROACH, RISE TO REMAIN, GOGOL BORDELLO, LIT, ESCAPE THE FATE, BLITZ KIDS, EUROPE, P.O.D AND MANY MORE CONFIRMED...
Papa Roach, Rise To Remain, Gogol Bordello, Lit, Escape The Fate and Blitz Kids are amongst the 49 new acts added to our 2013 line up!he rock calendar.
Taking on the world, this year’s lineup continues to bring the best international rock acts from every corner of the globe to one festival site. Confirmed for their fourth appearance at Download Festival are US rockers Papa Roach. 2013 marks the band’s 20th anniversary and they will celebrate by bringing hits like ‘Last Resort’, ‘Scars’, ‘She Loves Me Not’, and ‘Getting Away With Murder’ to a sea of mosh in Donington Park.
Joining Papa Roach are London metallers Rise To Remain, New York gypsy punk band Gogol Bordello, Californian alt-rockers Lit, US post-hardcore band Escape The Fate and fresh from their tour with Lower Than Atlantis, UK rockers Blitz Kids.
Buckcherry are welcomed back to Download Festival for a third time while Uriah Heep, regarded as one of the seminal rock acts of the early seventies, will make their Download Festival debut. Multi-million selling Grammy nominated nu metallers P.O.D join the bill, and following the release of their four-song EP earlier this year, titled Metal, Newsted, fronted by Metallica’s long-serving former bassist Jason Newsted, are ready to rock in Donington.
It’s a battle of Scandinavia’s finest and Europe are sure to ‘Rock The Night’, joined by Swedish metallers Katatonia and hard rock band Graveyard. From across the way, Finnish Viking metallers Turisas are also confirmed.
Ready to thrash out some serious heavy metal are Japan’s Dir En Grey. Jetting in fresh from the US are bloodthirsty death metallers Nekrogoblikon, After The Burial, The Ghost Inside, Blacklist Royals and stoner rockers Red Fang. Aussie rockers Karnivool and Naked Flame are also announced, and bringing a taste of fierce French heavy metal are The Algorithm.
Closer to home, Brit rockers Skin and Sacred Mother Tongue will take Download by the horns, joined by Brit metalcore groups Bury Tomorrow and Architects. Fresh from touring with Cancer Bats, Brutality Will Prevail and Reading prog-metal group Empress are also both confirmed.
Continuing to rock out for the regions are Cornish folk punk group Crowns, Midlands heavy rockers Emperor Chung, Manchester 5-piece Sonic Boom Six, Scotland’s States of Panic and Bleed From Within, Brighton rockers Verses, UK alt-pop band Hill Valley High and Cardiff’s Astroid Boys. Tipped as one of the hottest breakthrough artists of this year are Exeter’s I Divide, joined by fellow Exeter rockers Rat Attack and Londoners Mordecai, Modestep and Hang The Bastard.
Last but certainly not least are UK heavyweight groove metal quintet Heart Of A Coward, York’s Glamour of the Kill, Coventry rockers Silent Screams and Birmingham’s Cytota. Rockers The First and Broken also join the bill, and providing some gloriously twisted rock & roll Cambridge style are Uncle Acid and the Dead Beats.

So another 49 bands just got announced, and I finally got round to buying my ticket.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone didn't catch it, here are the bands that were announced yesterday:

Black Stone Cherry

Chthonic

Dragonforce

Fearless Vampire Killers

Fidlar

Ghost

Hammer of the Gods

Idiom

Krokodil

Little Caesar

Masters of Reality

Palm Reader

Patent Pending

Red White & Blues

Rival Sons

Satyricon

Voodoo Six

Black Stone Cherry will be headlining the second stage on Friday, with Satyricon headlining the third stage on Sunday.

• 2 months later...

So who's going this year?

I am not very organised this year. Mainly due to only just getting back from Ibiza yesterday. I've made a checklist off everything I need to get though. Think I have most of the basics, but need the odd few camping bits from the pound shops, then it's just a supermarket run and packing. Pretty sure my tent is still in good nick.

The Apache' Download Guide has helped me remember some of the very basic/yet essential stuff: https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=140BA16567E846BC!236&cid=140ba16567e846bc&app=WordPdf&authkey=!ABJnX-d2gbyzHvY

This is the first time I'm not going in 4 years. I really want to see Rammstein but I've seen all of the other 5/6 bands I would've bought a ticket for and it just didn't feel worth it. Plus I nearly got seriously injured last year and the weather was beyond awful. Giving it a miss this time sadly, and so is pretty much my entire 12-strong festival crew. Quite a few people who never go are going to this year's though, which says a lot to me about the overall line-up.