Getting a guitar

VerbalPuke

Congrats on the Pups, you ought to record a demo for us with them.

And Midget, that Ibanez is a beaut, is that the color you got?

I've been looking at little micro amps myself, something in the 50-100 dollar range. Thus far I've looked at stuff by Orange, Vox, Marshall, Danelectro, and Pignose. I want something small to use in my living room after work that has a headphone input. I work nights so I'm home at 11 PM and it's a great time to play, except that everybody is sleeping and I can't exactly plug into my 60 watt Orange and wail on that fucker. The amp is also in my bedroom so that would disturb my wife...can't wait to move back to Michigan and get a house with a basement.

So yeah, any advice on that front? I like the Orange because it's Orange, but I'm looking for a bit of variety even if the variety is on a little ass amp. The Vox looks like a great idea because Vox is awesome and the amp itself has a tone of effects built on (Chorus, Flanger, Reverb, Compressor, pretty sweet for a 95 dollar amp). The Marshall sounds good because I love the Marshall tone, but I'm a bit weary of it because a lot of reviews say the thing peetered out quick. The Danelectro is an option because the price is right. The Pignose is the most interesting one for me because I had thought they were sort of a nostalgic oddity that couldn't be found new anymore. I know that they were popular with certain artists (a certain Frank Zappa recorded with them) and a lot of old rockers loved them.

So as it stands, the Pignose and Vox intrigue me the most. They are probably the most costly, but either one could be had for under 100 bucks.

For the record, my normal amp does not have a headphone input, otherwise I wouldn't bring this issue up.

Indeed, that is the color. Love how simple that guitar is. 3-way selector, volume, tone. Selector switch does either bridge, neck, or both.

Both is good.

Look at some of the tinier Line6 Pods or Behringer V-Amps. Both have several modeling options and headphone outs. I personally like the tones from tinier Vox or Orange amps, so you've hit on some good alternatives.

Give the Micro Terror a look. It sounds huge for a 20w head. Especially if you link it up with a bigger cab, plus it's only 99GBP. Good little review of it here, bigger cab test is at around 6:05

Edited by fourstarfizzle

• 3 weeks later...

Cool stuff guys, very cool. I wanted to pass along a little something for you fellows, it's called www.pedalgenie.com

Basically, it's netflix for pedals. Your first month is a dollar, and from then on it's 35 bucks a month, and you are able to rent pedal after pedal, in the same way netflix works with their dvds. The site has a pretty damn good selection, and they are still expanding given that they just opened for business this year. The pedals are two days shipping, and you can keep them as long as you like. Also, there is an option to buy the pedal if you really like it, and the length of time you've had it, as well as how much it's been used previous to you, and your length of membership are factored in to the price. It's a pretty good deal given that even decent pedals like Electro Harmonix and Boss can start at about 50 bucks, and if you want a few pedals in a short span of time, it can be pricey. This works out if you want to check out the high end stuff done by guys like Earthquaker Devices or Zvex.

Oh...and I really have a love/hate relationship with the Dunlop Jazz picks. I love the tone, and the width is perfect, but those bastards are small. It's fine for the most part, but I'm still developing my strumming to be more than just rapid fire down strokes. Going up and down tends to make the pick slip out of my fingers (oh...and I'm using the sure grip Jazz picks...they don't make the sure grip picks in the XXL Jazz picks).

Wow, no, I've never actually seen those. They look pretty.

I'll have to give those a shot, picks are cheap, and I'm looking for something about as thick as the Jazz III, with a good grip, and the same size as a standard pick. If they make something that fits that criteria, I think I'll definitely order a set.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ever try Dava picks? Those are Star Picks are outstanding for grip.

So I just ordered one of them variety packs they have, has five different picks that they make. I figured that was a good way to go since they have a few different options. I'll report back when I get them in and have had a chance to jam with them.

• Like 1

Sorry to double post, but I want Midget to see this so I can say thanks. I love the Dava picks. I've definitely found the right pick for me, thanks to you.

As I said, I ordered the variety pack, and I liked all of them. However, the Dava jazz picks and the Dava ultimate control picks are absolutely my favorites. The Jazz pick is probably my favorite, it plays much like the Dunlop Jazz picks, but it's ever so slightly bigger, and does not slip. Funny thing is that the medium Delrin grip was what I thought I wanted, but I still find that I like the smaller size of the jazz pick, I'm heavy handed and end up rubbing the rubber portion on the strings when using the bigger version. The tone is great from these picks as well, I'm finding that I don't hear as much as that clicking you get from other picking when hitting the strings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Earthquaker Devices Cloven Hoof has shipped to me today. :D. It's a fuzz pedal that I got a nice discount on via a cyber Monday deal. I had originally wanted the Hoof Fuzz, but opted for the Cloven Hoof because it is just a bit meaner. This is my first fuzz, and second distortion pedal. I figure I'll enjoy it much more than my metal muff because it wont be as shrill and ear splitting, but will give my tone a nice wooly distortion. Probably going for a delay next.

Sounds bad ass with a bass as demonstrated on the second video. By the way...Andy, the guy in the second demo, does the best fucking reviews of gear. He doesn't talk too much, just enough to explain the specs and features of the gear. He's also a fantastic player and plays great riffs with the pedals he demos. I love Andy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping because I got myself an MXR Carbon Copy over Christmas. It's great delay ped, sounds so good. I demoed it with some other delays at Guitar Center and it just sounded the nicest to me. You can get some long delays, or keep it at a minimum setting to add a bit of ambiance to your sound. Add in some reverb from my amp and it gets some really cool clean tones.

Also still loving the Dava picks, the Jazz pick has stood out as my favorite and will probably be the only pick I ever need in life.

And yeah, that Cloven Hoof is a beast. I love my amps crunch but I am rarely playing without my hoof on.

• Like 1

So I built my Sunn with the DS pick ups. Decided to leave it in the UK for now as it weighed a metric ton and I'm leaving Mongolia in 5 months.

So I got this bad boy over here to treat myself. Along with the Orange Micro Terror and my Tube Screamer Clone, it sound gnarly.

LesPaulSNitefall_Splash.jpg

I bet the Las Paul purists would criticize it, but I think that is really fucking cool looking. It gives the classic Les Paul a menacing look, and the whammy bar is a nice addition, something not often seen on the Les Paul. I know some do, especially if they have the Bigsby tail piece, but the tremolo seems to be bigger on Fenders/Squires.

I was dicking around at a Guitar Center during Christmas and played a hollow body Gretsch through one of the smaller Blackstar amp heads with a Marshall cabinet, and whoa...great fucking tone. Kind of made me want both. I like what I've heard from Blackstar though, I'd love to take my Les Paul in and test it out on one of them.

Yeh, it's similar to my guitarists ESP EC-50, he had the floyd rose installed and it was epic. I love the Les Paul shape and I'm a fan of the minimal stripped down look. I'm not big on flashy guitars so this is right up my alley. The floyd rose is mainly for doing a bit of experimental metal stuff.

I used to have a Blackstar combo and it was really impressive. Ironically one of the guys I work with just got himself a brand new Gretsch Electromatic hollow body it's impressive to say the least!

• 2 weeks later...