The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

Lin-Manuel Miranda did some music for it which, I dunno why, strikes me as fitting with the general feeling coming off the reviews.

In a sense that it sounds like it's jamming things in that aren't really needed in order to hit the broadest appeal possible.

Today is just making me want to go see Cats more and more tbh

Time Out review basically says it's dully formulaic, feels like a Marvel movie in how it's just a series of fetch quests, and that they clearly have no idea what to do with most of the characters, or any of the developments started in The Last Jedi.

While I didn't particularly like The Last Jedi, I at least appreciated that it wasn't just another "REMEMBER THIS?!" nostalgia romp and tried some new ideas. I'm seeing summaries of this one that list "lots of fan-service" as a positive.

I've watched a lot of videos defending Last Jedi recently and after watching it again I still can't say that while I particularly enjoy it, but I can see that they put a lot of effort into it and I can appreciate them trying to do something different and not relying on nostalgia so much like they did in the Force Awakens. I view it like the prequel trilogy: A decent concept that has been shoddily executed. 

I wonder if The Last Jedi will be something looked upon more favourably in future for actually being bolder rather than just rehashing a whole plot or basically being a Peter Kay "remember that, eh?!?" act in film form.

Honestly, Star Wars fans just seem to be the absolute worst fanbase to make a film for, they're just so intense and over the top, and straight up toxic sometimes. Dunno how Rian Johnson has handled all the shit thrown his way by them with such grace. 

• Like 1

I figure I’ll feel exactly the same about it as I felt about Force Awakens and Last Jedi.  Fine movie, not a good as it could be, made choices I’ll question but had a lot of things I enjoyed.

Would have been really nice if they came up with an overarching story for the trilogy before going into production.

6 minutes ago, CinMCDy Lou Who said:

I also want it to be good so that I don't have to hear about people complaining about it for the next 3 years. 

lol impossible.  It could be the greatest movie ever created and half of the Star Wars fandom will hate it

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

Would have been really nice if they came up with an overarching story for the trilogy before going into production.

Yeah, this is probably where I'm at. I liked them. They're popcorn movies. There's not much I actively dislike in anything (actually, I watched The Last Jedi and I hated Luke brushing dirt off his shoulder after they shoot at him, but whatever). But the movies seem so disconnected. I kind of wish Abrams directed all three of them. 

• Like 1

I used to love Star Wars, and I liked The Last Jedi. 

But I saw it almost a year after it came out. I didn't feel any real excitement for it, or any urgency to see it. The online fans sucked a lot of the joy out of the franchise for me. 

I'ma still see Skywalker. If the complaints are really "too much fan service", then, well, I'm fine with that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

I wonder if The Last Jedi will be something looked upon more favourably in future for actually being bolder rather than just rehashing a whole plot or basically being a Peter Kay "remember that, eh?!?" act in film form.

Honestly, Star Wars fans just seem to be the absolute worst fanbase to make a film for, they're just so intense and over the top, and straight up toxic sometimes. Dunno how Rian Johnson has handled all the shit thrown his way by them with such grace. 

Because the fan base sucks, that's why.  For reasons that are too numerous and time consuming to list, but it basically starts with Greedo shooting first, and from there everything has been RUINED FOREVER!!!

So, fuck 'em. I went to Disney Hollywood Studios in January of '18, looking at all the Star Wars stuff, and when I watched my 4 and 3 year old nephews run up and hug BB-8 in complete jubilation, it made me realize Star Wars wasn't mine anymore. It belongs to everyone. 

• Like 1

A little bored, so was just ranking the original trilogy and this new one, (I actually just don't remember much about the prequel trilogy, but yeah, it's not good) as well as the standalone films:

1. The Last Jedi
  2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  3. The Force Awakens
  4. A New Hope
  5. The Rise of Skywalker
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. Solo: A Star Wars Story

Saw TROS last night, and I actually really enjoyed it. A flawed film in many ways, but a fun one. I enjoyed parts of TLJ, but after rewatching it this week, I liked it a bit less. It's not as effective a deconstruction as I remember, and by the end degenerates into essentially a remake of Empire Strikes Back.

Anyway, hopelessly arbitrary rankings ahoy:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Rogue One

4. The Force Awakens

5. The Rise of Skywalker (although I'm sure this will drop as it fades from memory)

6. Return of the Jedi

7. The Last Jedi

8. Revenge of the Sith

9. Solo

10. The Phantom Menace

11. Attack of the Clones

As someone who never watched Empire as a kid I found it draggy and boring as an adult. My last rewatch last week, I fell asleep around the time Yoda pops up and woke up at the end. I don’t even know why, but from the Yetti part on I just find myself scrolling through my phone instead. 

The Last Jedi has those nonstop action sequences that gets me on the edge of my seat, what I feel is an incredibly compelling villain because of his actions and his conflicting feelings for his religion, his parents as well as what he perceives as his destiny. They introduce a legitimate bad ass of a character in Rose, strengthen the friendship between Rey and Finn to the point where I’m rooting for them to always find their way back to each other, and try to evolve the entire mythology of the Star Wars movie franchise. 

Yeah, a lot of this sequel trilogy are basically mirror images of of the original, I feel like the Last Jedi tries to stand out while still delivering fan service. 

I dunno, that’s just some random rambling off the top of my head why.

• Like 1

Empire is really good right, but if it's the benchmark, it's a bit of a mishmash of a movie and doesn't flow properly, it's just set piece to set piece - But we remember them all because they're good set pieces.

I just really liked the dynamic of TLJ, I liked the dissension and peril from the space battle, the turns are great and no matter what people want to say, the Luke stuff in it is absolutely popcorn good time. Much like everything there's plotholes, but suspension of disbelief is needed for an f'in space opera.

Also, it has the best fight scene in any Star Wars hands down.