The Star Wars Thread

Katsuya

If the right person runs these things (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) then it could be great. I'll withhold judgment until more news comes out, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :wacko:

Those are the three best you could come up with?

Yes

Rather than laugh it off, why don't you name some people you'd like to see and be productive to the topic at hand?

Michael Winner, Jean Luc Godard, Uwe Boll

• Like 1

If the right person runs these things (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) then it could be great. I'll withhold judgment until more news comes out, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

None of these things will happen and you all know it.

People were saying the exact same thing about the Batman franchise after Batman and Robin. And also, to be blunt, I think that if your ideal director for Star Wars is Nolan or Abrams, I think you are missing the mark. Both to me really do not scream Star Wars. Joss Whedon is somebody I could easily see directing.

To be honest, I think this is probably the wisest possible avenue. Lucas has been pissing off diehards for years now with the Star Wars franchise. Find somebody with a new, fresher vision.

• Like 2

None of these things will happen and you all know it.

People were saying the exact same thing about the Batman franchise after Batman and Robin. And also, to be blunt, I think that if your ideal director for Star Wars is Nolan or Abrams, I think you are missing the mark. Both to me really do not scream Star Wars. Joss Whedon is somebody I could easily see directing.

To be honest, I think this is probably the wisest possible avenue. Lucas has been pissing off diehards for years now with the Star Wars franchise. Find somebody with a new, fresher vision.

Or, you know, keep the corpse in its grave.

• Like 4

Wow, that's a lot of negativity considering the franchise has been taken from Lucas' cold dead hands and will hopefully be given a makeover more in tune with the original franchise.

And really, Whedon and Abrams, the two guys that took two of the biggest franchises in the world and make box office and critical hits with them aren't good enough picks? :P I don't even like Abrams all that much, but it's not like the guy isn't good with SciFi.

Jesus EWB, could you be any more cynical?

I'm really glad with this turn of events. Disney has done pretty well with Avengers and Star Wars is a franchise that's always going to live on; at least now it'll live on outside of Lucas. And I've always wanted a Star Wars film based after the originals. I'm pretty optimistic about this.

• Like 15

Not in the age in which we live. Everything is fair game for franchises to be revived, add unnecessary sequels, to remake originals, etc. The Star Wars franchise will live on, no matter what anybody really wants. It is simply a matter of who is at the helms and what they want to do with the franchise. Selling it to Disney and moving it away from Lucas is a good idea.

• Like 2

I'm fine with Star Wars being over. There's been a ton of merchandise and shit off of it already. Don't care about a new Star Wars and I'm not looking forward to whatever gimmicks they'll break out to make me care. Would love it if it turns out to be a great film, but I have no attachment to the franchise at all, so I probably won't end up seeing it just because it's Star Wars.

Not in the age in which we live. Everything is fair game for franchises to be revived, add unnecessary sequels, to remake originals, etc. The Star Wars franchise will live on, no matter what anybody really wants. It is simply a matter of who is at the helms and what they want to do with the franchise. Selling it to Disney and moving it away from Lucas is a good idea.

This. It's never going to go away. You don't have to like that, but you have to at least admit that if there's one good thing from it, it's that it's getting away from Lucas and potentially into the hands of a new director.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :wacko:

Those are the three best you could come up with?

Tkz basically got it. I'm certain none of those three names will run it, but they're examples of people taking a franchise and making it a huge box office success as well as a critically acclaimed film.

I don't see how that's ridiculous or laughable at all.

• Like 9

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,"

Yeah, Ok.. you haven't been saying that for the last 10 years, Disney drops 4b into your lap and suddenly your tune is changed.

Thank Fuck. Disney can't do worse than Episodes 1-2, 3 was alright in the sense that this shit was finally over. I'll go see Ep 7, Disney hasn't shit the bed on anything in the last 15 years.

George Lucas in contradicting something he said in the past shock?

It's going to be shit. But the worst thing is that I'm going to end up fucking seeing it.

Thing is, though, Disney has nothing to do with this. George Lucas has been talking about stepping back and letting other people continue the franchise for years - whether through Clone Wars, the proposed TV series, or whatever. But he also always claimed that he originally wrote nine movies, which anyone with half a brain knows is a crock of shit.

That isn't the topic at hand. The topic at hand is the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. My preference would be for Star Wars to remain dead. But my preference would be for them to Pixar Star Wars rather than do a brooding update. Star Wars was made for a tween audience. Nolan is too dark, Whedon is acceptable but does leave his fingerprints all over anything he writes and Abrams AFAIK doesn't write anyway just produces/directs.

I don't really care who directs something, it's the same as saying 'OMG we could have Andrew Garfield as older Luke yay!' If it's going to happen I would much rather discuss who could write the script. Out of your three Whedon is the only possible option. Nolan is too adult/mopey unless we are suddenly rebooting for a different demographic to the originals (which I personally think would be a dick move).

Star Wars aside, buying LucasFilm as a whole gives Disney pretty much a monopoly in visual effects surely. I mean, you have Pixar and LucasFilm now, I don't care what their next animated film is about, but I can be pretty sure it's going to look fucking beautiful.

• Like 2

That isn't the topic at hand. The topic at hand is the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney. My preference would be for Star Wars to remain dead. But my preference would be for them to Pixar Star Wars rather than do a brooding update. Star Wars was made for a tween audience. Nolan is too dark, Whedon is acceptable but does leave his fingerprints all over anything he writes and Abrams AFAIK doesn't write anyway just produces/directs.

I don't really care who directs something, it's the same as saying 'OMG we could have Andrew Garfield as older Luke yay!' If it's going to happen I would much rather discuss who could write the script. Out of your three Whedon is the only possible option. Nolan is too adult/mopey unless we are suddenly rebooting for a different demographic to the originals (which I personally think would be a dick move).

I'm not a huge fan of the Nolan Batmans, but I don't think having him at the helm would be a bad move. The prequels are very kids oriented. The original three are more adult than those. Making the last three a darker tale seems to complete that trend if they go that way. I'm not saying they will do it or they should do it, but I do think it would fit thematically.